PDA

View Full Version : Everex Notebook with Windows Vista Basic but very limited to only 512MB Memory Help!

Digital_Trans
02-14-08, 11:01 AM
I've got my friends Everex notebook which is running Windows Vista basic edition 32-Bit with only 512MB of memory. I need some advice on tweaking the services so he can at least run the OS and applications faster. I don't know when he plans on upgrading the memory but for now a set of tweaked vista services to help with the problem of his notebook from being so slow would be nice. The notebook only came with 512MB of memory which is a damn shame if you ask me but I would still like to help this guy out anyway I can for now. If you know of the proper settings for tweaking the services based off ram limitations then please do share....thank you! :D

bacon12
02-14-08, 01:30 PM
Install XP. Just joking, sorry I won't be much help, but even a kde Linux distro with only 512mb of ram would be slow.

Digital_Trans
02-14-08, 08:18 PM
Install XP. Just joking, sorry I won't be much help, but even a kde Linux distro with only 512mb of ram would be slow.

Tryed installing XP Pro and for some reason the sound card drivers we're not supported under XP only Vista. I confirmed this with Everex Technology.

Bearclaw
02-14-08, 08:36 PM
Tryed installing XP Pro and for some reason the sound card drivers we're not supported under XP only Vista. I confirmed this with Everex Technology.
That always pisses me off. I have done several reformats with friends on their laptops and it always comes down to driver issues and not being supported by XP, only vista.
It's crap.

Digital_Trans
02-14-08, 09:03 PM
Yes, that's why it's been setup for Vista once again. I had done everything to it with XP Pro and was counting on finding sound driver support but there wasn't any. It's all Vista! No more XP..........

hokeyplyr48
02-14-08, 09:22 PM
just did a quick google search. just disable some of these or google for more:

http://vistarewired.com/2007/02/18/services/

Bman212121
02-14-08, 09:37 PM
The one big hog I really noticed was system restore. Turned that off and I didn't hear nearly as much disk thrashing. You might want to check into turning off superfetch as well. I don't think you'll need to worry about filling your ram, so it is probably going to waste processor time determining what to pre load.

EDIT: I feel sorry for anyone running Vista on only 512MB of ram. It's has to run so horribly slow. One thing I've never understood is why pc makers find the biggest hard drive they can and put it into a pc, then skimp on the ram. I just opened up task manager and IE7 is using 300MB of ram between all of the instances I have open right now. I can't imagine what it would run like on 512MB ram. /rant

Digital_Trans
02-14-08, 10:34 PM
Yes, I know his Everex Notebook is a cookie cutter for sure. It came with only 512MB with Windows Vista Basic Edition 32-Bit. I'm like why the hell even sell the notebook that away to consumers. Man, it's worst then XP and far slower in performance.
When I had XP on here it ran alot faster but it lacked sound drivers for XP. Vista Campaign Was Deceptive.......http://neowin.net/news/main/08/02/14/microsoft-partners-vista-campaign-was-deceptive