PDA

View Full Version : Big Flash Drive Upgrades Incoming!

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 01:17 PM
http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9872058-7.html

whoa!

The time before most hard drives are solid state is getting shorter. :D

ViN86
02-14-08, 03:28 PM
that's awesome. the main thing that worries me about SSD's though is their limited number of write cycles in a lifetime. :thumbdwn:

stncttr908
02-14-08, 09:24 PM
Haven't those problems been greatly diminished? I can't see the SSD market taking off if you've got another time bomb on your hands.

That article with the 9 high speed drives in RAID 0 made me really look forward to the future.

jcrox
02-14-08, 10:55 PM
SSDs are gonna be so sweet when they finally hit the main stream :D

nekrosoft13
02-14-08, 11:29 PM
Haven't those problems been greatly diminished? I can't see the SSD market taking off if you've got another time bomb on your hands.

That article with the 9 high speed drives in RAID 0 made me really look forward to the future.

its still a problem, flash is not forever as well

lduguay
02-15-08, 08:27 AM
that's awesome. the main thing that worries me about SSD's though is their limited number of write cycles in a lifetime. :thumbdwn:
They say a "few hundred thousand write cycles"...
I was looking into this for one of our application that writes to a database at a sustain rate of 100-120, 4K blocks of data bulked inserted per second on a 365/24/7 basis. This poor thing would die within a few weeks....:headexplode:

Monolyth
02-15-08, 12:24 PM
They say a "few hundred thousand write cycles"...
I was looking into this for one of our application that writes to a database at a sustain rate of 100-120, 4K blocks of data bulked inserted per second on a 365/24/7 basis. This poor thing would die within a few weeks....:headexplode:

Most of the newer SSD's are in the millions of writes and those are writes to a single sector and you also have to keep in mind they also employ wear leveling tech so that unused sectors are written to first that way the write wear is kept even across the disc. It would take several years of constants writes for the drive to reach it's write mark. Of course just like MTBF YMMV. ;)

miahallen
02-17-08, 01:25 AM
As if magnetic HDDs never fail, HA!

DRen72
02-17-08, 12:00 PM
Most of the newer SSD's are in the millions of writes and those are writes to a single sector and you also have to keep in mind they also employ wear leveling tech so that unused sectors are written to first that way the write wear is kept even across the disc. It would take several years of constants writes for the drive to reach it's write mark. Of course just like MTBF YMMV. ;)I don't see why they don't incorporate a drive life meter on these things (software based of course) that could provide us with an estimate of its service life remaining.