PDA

View Full Version : The Witcher - Over 600,000 Copies Sold

Pages : [1] 2

delas52
02-14-08, 12:40 PM
CD Projekt RED is proud to announce that the company's debut video game production, The Witcher, has sold more than 600,000 copies worldwide in just three months....

Adam Kiciński also hints at the developer's plans for the near future: "Our plans include continuous game support, the release of the powerful D'jinni module editor, the continued release of game updates and patches, and in late spring gamers can expect a pretty big surprise, which will be revealed at a press conference really soon - February 18th! We are still working on making the game better and we will actively support our fan community, which is getting bigger and bigger. Unfortunately I can't reveal anything further at this time, but I assure you that we won't rest on our laurels and we have very promising plans for the future. We set our standards very high with The Witcher and we surely don't want to lower them in the future."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/852/852214p1.html

Good to hear, also proves that one old report that they sold over 1 million in like a month wrong (although we already knew that).

Destroy
02-14-08, 12:50 PM
Is this suppose to be impressive? Let me know when a PC game sells over 2 million in 24hours.

Edit: Ok, that is a bit harsh but my point is PC sales are pathically low when compared to the likes of Galaxy or Halo.

HiCZoK4
02-14-08, 01:04 PM
as for pc game it is very good score! Hope more people will buy this becouse its great

Arioch
02-14-08, 01:05 PM
Its impressive since it was a game that was released from a foreign development team with little fanfare.

de><ta
02-14-08, 01:07 PM
Best game I have played in a while! Can't wait till the 18th of this month!

HiCZoK4
02-14-08, 02:11 PM
Its impressive since it was a game that was released from a foreign development team with little fanfare.
The truth - It is FIRST game of this Team :eek:

jAkUp
02-14-08, 03:22 PM
Is this suppose to be impressive? Let me know when a PC game sells over 2 million in 24hours.

Edit: Ok, that is a bit harsh but my point is PC sales are pathically low when compared to the likes of Galaxy or Halo.

how can you compare the Witcher sales to Halo? That is not even fair. 600K in a few months is actually very good for a title that does not have the advertising budget of Halo/Galaxy.

de><ta
02-14-08, 03:40 PM
I don't think the Witcher was advertised at all (esp. in the US).

I ordered my copy after reading the reviews over here and on other sites.

Kaguya
02-14-08, 03:49 PM
Does that include Direct Downloads? I got mine direct from Atari since I couldn't find a copy locally at the time I wanted it.

With respect to Halo vs Witcher and Destroyer's comment, remember that the thing that keeps companies wanting to churn out more games is return on investment. Sure, Halo sold millions of copies but how many millions were spent on design, advertising, as well as all other sorts of miscellaneous things? The Witcher was probably a lot cheaper to design and was not advertised heavily, so their return will most likely be pretty respectable.

JigenD
02-14-08, 03:55 PM
Didn't people say this game sold over a million in one country (I forget which they were saying) alone a while ago?

600k isn't bad though.

NaitoSan
02-14-08, 04:05 PM
not bad for small developer. :) glad to know they're doing well and maybe we'll see witcher 2. i yet to try this game... way too busy with school as well other games.

nutcrackr
02-14-08, 04:57 PM
the million was a translation error or something, he said he hoped to sell a million.

SeriTonin
02-14-08, 05:24 PM
http://pc.ign.com/articles/852/852214p1.html

Good to hear, also proves that one old report that they sold over 1 million in like a month wrong (although we already knew that).

Not possible! Per jakup EVERYONE pirates pc games :rolleyes:

LORD-eX-Bu
02-14-08, 05:33 PM

Show me one console game that has been as successful as WoW :lol:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6905/kthxst5.jpg

JigenD
02-14-08, 06:29 PM
Show me one console game that has been as successful as WoW :lol:

http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/6905/kthxst5.jpg

Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3
Super Mario World
Mario64
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Tetris
Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, LeafGreen, FireRed, Diamond, and Pearl
Super Mario Land
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros
Brain Age
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 3
GTAIII
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
GTA San Andreas

Bonus : PC games that did as good or better :

Sims
Lineage II
Sims 2

That's literally it. Even stuff like Myst (6 million), Halo series (around 8 million for 2 and 3), and others don't do as well.

Bman212121
02-14-08, 08:37 PM
Super Mario Bros 1, 2, and 3
Super Mario World
Mario64
Wii Sports
Wii Play
Tetris
Pokemon Red, Blue, Green, Gold, Silver, Ruby, Sapphire, LeafGreen, FireRed, Diamond, and Pearl
Super Mario Land
Nintendogs
New Super Mario Bros
Brain Age
Gran Turismo
Gran Turismo 3
GTAIII
Grand Theft Auto Vice City
GTA San Andreas

Bonus : PC games that did as good or better :

Sims
Lineage II
Sims 2

That's literally it. Even stuff like Myst (6 million), Halo series (around 8 million for 2 and 3), and others don't do as well.

Are you talking copies sold or actual profit? There is a big difference between selling a game and selling a subscription.

JigenD
02-14-08, 10:02 PM
Are you talking copies sold or actual profit? There is a big difference between selling a game and selling a subscription.

Just copies sold, talking about actual profit would be way too complicated. Seeing as even in the US you can get a physical copy of WoW for really cheap, and the WoW sub fees aren't as much in some countries, I hear...

jeffmd
02-14-08, 10:08 PM
jigen, Considering wow is newer then %80 of those.. that says alot. ;)

JigenD
02-14-08, 10:25 PM
jigen, Considering wow is newer then %80 of those.. that says alot. ;)

Well Nintendogs, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl, and Brain Age are all newer. So it's only newer than 75% of the list, which is telling because the first million seller was over 7 times as long ago, and the games industry is quite a bit older still. Proves that games are selling more now. Even if it's mostly Nintendo.

K007
02-15-08, 02:06 AM
pokemon.../sigh..

K007
02-15-08, 02:09 AM

wtf are you comparing Witcher to Halo for? Halo even had those lame tv adds running all over..not to mention..its not that much of a great game either..

Kudos to Witcher team, it was a game that i dont think alot of people knew unless they were following it up, and it was a really solid game too.

jeffmd
02-15-08, 03:49 PM
halo3 would actually be an excellent example of a game that broke record sales thanks to hype..and not quality of game. CoD4 is starting to edge it out as top spot on xbox live.

I am hesitant to accept..or discuss the gameboy titles. When theres a hit game on game boy.. it pretty much sells gazillions due to a few factors. #1 its by far the number one portable. psp is still barely a blip on the screen yet. #2 alot of kids have gameboys.. its an affordably (new word, you see that?) cheap system. so any time an even descent (lets be frank here, pokimon is the same game it has been for the past 8 years, and its battle system is a far cry from a real rpg) is on it that the kids like.. they all buy it.

#3 DS owners are a glutton for punishment. Apparently crappy graphics + touch screen = omg roxorz. I mean I can see the wii being successful still, I still enjoy the graphics of some ps2 games. But for the love of god the DS is an eye sore, people need to tell nintendo they expect more for their money. ^^

yea that last one was a personal jab.

K007
02-15-08, 05:26 PM
Lets compare Halo2 PC Sales to Consoles sales...lol..

crainger
02-15-08, 06:22 PM
Lets compare both of my balls!

See how they are perfectly formed! They are ah inspiring!

K007
02-15-08, 06:46 PM
Lets compare both of my balls!

See how they are perfectly formed! They are ah inspiring!

God will be proud of his work(nana2)