PDA

View Full Version : GeForce 8 Cards to Gain PhysX Engine Support!

Pages : [1] 2

omzig
02-14-08, 01:50 PM
Just saw this at shack

Hardware manufacturer Nvidia, which just purchased physics technology developer AGEIA, is porting AGEIA's PhysX engine software to run on its GeForce 8 cards, according to The Tech Report.

During a financial call, Nvidia CEO Jen-Hseun Huang revealed that the ported engine will bring enhanced physics capabilities to all of the company's existing GeForce 8 cards, as it will be programmed in CUDA.

"Finally [developers are] able to get a physics engine accelerated into a very large population of gamers," explained Huang. "[It's] just gonna be a software download. Every single GPU that is CUDA-enabled will be able to run the physics engine when it comes...Every one of our GeForce 8-series GPUs runs CUDA."

At the time of the AGEIA purchase, Nvidia noted its intent to integrate PhysX support into its products, but did not specify any details. In light of today's revelation, Huang expects to see increased sales of the Nvidia cards, especially to those equipped with SLI slots.

"It might, and probably will, encourage people to buy a second GPU for their SLI slot," he said. "And for the highest-end gamer, it will encourage them to buy three GPUs. Potentially two for graphics and one for physics, or one for graphics and two for physics."

Maybe now we'll see more dev's adding support for PhysX

(mods feel free to move this to a hardware forum if you want)

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 01:55 PM
This is awesome!

Me wonders:
What if you have an Intel board with 2 PCIE slots but incapable of running SLI? Would you be able to add in a budget 8 series to just handle physics or possibly use your "old" 8800 when the 9800s come out?

Revs
02-14-08, 02:00 PM
Great news. Good question too Trick.

J-Mag
02-14-08, 02:07 PM
This is awesome!

Me wonders:
What if you have an Intel board with 2 PCIE slots but incapable of running SLI? Would you be able to add in a budget 8 series to just handle physics or possibly use your "old" 8800 when the 9800s come out?

I highly doubt nvidia will do allow you to run both cards on an Intel board, otherwise they would have done this long ago. However, they are working on asymmetric SLI drivers, so using older cards with newer cards is a definite possibility.

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 02:11 PM
I highly doubt nvidia will do allow you to run both cards on an Intel board, otherwise they would have done this long ago. However, they are working on asymmetric SLI drivers, so using older cards with newer cards is a definite possibility.

I thought you could run 2 on an Intel board, just not enable SLI.

Redeemed
02-14-08, 02:16 PM
What? Not sure what you mean by that. Of course you can physical put two nVidia cards on an Intel mobo... but only one will be utilised. The second card would be 100% idle 100% of the time, so what would the point be?

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 02:22 PM
What? Not sure what you mean by that. Of course you can physical put two nVidia cards on an Intel mobo... but only one will be utilised. The second card would be 100% idle 100% of the time, so what would the point be?
I was certain you could run a second monitor off it. SLI won't work, but dual cards do, supposedly.

J-Mag
02-14-08, 02:25 PM

Yes, for multi-monitor setups sure...

What is SLI? At the most basic level it can be viewed as the sharing of a work load between GPUs. I see no change in this principle with support of PhysX.
PhysX will just be another feature of the total nforce platform. It will be additional incentive to buy nvidia chipsets and there is no way nvidia will give that away.

SH64
02-14-08, 02:28 PM
Awesome news!
finally we'll be able to play Cell Factor at its fully glory!

lduguay
02-14-08, 02:28 PM
I was certain you could run a second monitor off it. SLI won't work, but dual cards do, supposedly.
Of course you can run a second monitor off it, multiple vid cards has been supported for more than 10 years. ;)

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 02:34 PM
Yes, for multi-monitor setups sure...

What is SLI? At the most basic level it can be viewed as the sharing of a work load between GPUs. I see no change in this principle with support of PhysX.
PhysX will just be another feature of the total nforce platform. It will be additional incentive to buy nvidia chipsets and there is no way nvidia will give that away.

I'm with you on that. I was just wondering if it could simply be offloaded to the 'idle' card and not run SLI.

It seems it would be a great way for Nvidia to sell extra cards to Intel board owners.

J-Mag
02-14-08, 02:46 PM
I'm with you on that. I was just wondering if it could simply be offloaded to the 'idle' card and not run SLI.

That's is what I am trying to explain. PhysX computation will still be a type of GPU load sharing, just like SLI. They may even fold the feature into the SLI umbrella.

It seems it would be a great way for Nvidia to sell extra cards to Intel board owners.

That very same reasoning did not hold true with SLI, so why would it be the case with PhysX?

It is of my opinion that you won't be using "idle" GPUs on intel boards for PhysX (unless it is something like the skulltrail, which already has nvidia chipset components).

XDanger
02-14-08, 02:48 PM
wow ,What if games supported all 4 cores!!

that would make Physx redundant ,cool. ;)

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 03:12 PM
That's is what I am trying to explain. PhysX computation will still be a type of GPU load sharing, just like SLI. They may even fold the feature into the SLI umbrella.

That very same reasoning did not hold true with SLI, so why would it be the case with PhysX?

It is of my opinion that you won't be using "idle" GPUs on intel boards for PhysX (unless it is something like the skulltrail, which already has nvidia chipset components).
I totally understand what you are saying. However, the article mentions possibly using one for graphics and one for physics or one for physics and two for graphics. I took this as meaning that SLI won't be required.

ViN86
02-14-08, 03:20 PM
This is awesome!

Me wonders:
this is what i would do if it's allowed. id buy a budget 8-series card and run it for physics.

Mr Bigman
02-14-08, 03:22 PM
This is good since i was thinking of getting a physics card and see more objects in UT3 move around but with some fixes and newer drivers, we will se it.

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 03:25 PM
The more I think about it, the more it sounds like Nvidia is turning 8 series into optional PPUs. PPUs are parallel processors like GPUs, so it really does make sense.

nekrosoft13
02-14-08, 03:29 PM
amazing news, good work nvidia !

wonder if older games will have to be patched to support this?

also will it be integrated into forceware? or still require seperate physx driver?

ViN86
02-14-08, 03:43 PM
amazing news, good work nvidia !

wonder if older games will have to be patched to support this?

also will it be integrated into forceware? or still require seperate physx driver?
i would assume integrated into the 8-series forceware driver. then again, to be compatible with the Ageia setup, maybe it will have a standalone driver..

idk... either way im excited to see it:D

J-Mag
02-14-08, 03:56 PM
I totally understand what you are saying. However, the article mentions possibly using one for graphics and one for physics or one for physics and two for graphics. I took this as meaning that SLI won't be required.

Yeah it may be the case that nvidia's marketing department will want to differentiate Physx from SLI, but I can almost guarantee you will still need an nvidia chipset to use the PhysX features.

Tr1cK
02-14-08, 03:59 PM
Yeah it may be the case that nvidia's marketing department will want to differentiate Physx from SLI, but I can almost guarantee you will still need an nvidia chipset to use the PhysX features.
I hope not cause my next board damn sure wont be Nvidia!

J-Mag
02-14-08, 04:07 PM
I hope not cause my next board damn sure wont be Nvidia!

Well maybe I should reiterate that you will need a nvidia chipset to use a second card to run PhysX features.

The reason I say this is because It could be possible that an application could make PhysX and DirextX calls to the same GPU at the same time (i.e. A portion of the shaders work at rendering and another portion does the PhysX related stuff).

sytaylor
02-14-08, 04:09 PM
Do you get the feeling AGEIA were just waiting to be bought out?

3DBrad
02-14-08, 04:38 PM

Well, they were started by some people that left Nvidia, so it's rather funny. :)

JigenD
02-14-08, 04:54 PM

I'm surprised and somewhat disappointed that they were bought out and not just left to whither.