PDA

View Full Version : Anyone try AudioSurf on Steam?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

$n][pErMan
02-15-08, 06:51 PM
For $10 I might buy this but was curious if anyone has tried it yet. Apperently you race on a track generated by music you are playing. Seems really neat :)

sharvin
02-15-08, 06:54 PM
sounds like a nice concept, might have to go have a look at it:)

RAY16
02-15-08, 07:07 PM
This game is fantabulous. I'm loving it.

nutcrackr
02-15-08, 08:14 PM
I like the cool aspect in how the build the track based on the mp3, and how it fits well with the song...but the game itself (from the beta) was incredibly boring. I'd rather play my own songs and kick it with trackmania or something.

$n][pErMan
02-15-08, 08:36 PM
This game is fantabulous. I'm loving it.
Is it something thats pretty simple that gives visual stimulation while listening to music? Or is it something I am going to get pissed at? lol.

Bearclaw
02-15-08, 08:44 PM
I was going to ask this as well. For 9.95, it might be worth it.

RAY16
02-15-08, 09:02 PM
[pErMan']Is it something thats pretty simple that gives visual stimulation while listening to music? Or is it something I am going to get pissed at? lol.

It all depends on the music you listen to. It generates the track, sets down the blocks, and controls the speed by analyzing the music file when it loads. If you play a mellow track you can kind of just coast through the entire song, if you chose some brain-rattling Drum & Bass (what I've been doing so far) you'll have to be alert and on your toes if you want to survive the onslaught of blocks and the fast movement speed. In addition to controlling difficulty through musical selection, there are also four difficulty modes. Casual, Pro, Elite and a little check box on the bottom called "Ironmode". The game is really only as difficult as you make it through your song and difficulty choices.

There are also multiple characters that each play the game in a slightly different way. "Mono" is the only character that doesn't try to match multiple colored blocks, he only collects one kind of block (that changes color dynamically to the beat). Mono has to avoid grey blocks, which will clog up your block slots and stop you from getting the "clean run" bonus that adds %30 to your score at the end of the song. "Vegas" has the ability to shuffle the blocks in your block slots, "Pusher" can push blocks either left or right into the the adjacent lane, "Eraser" can erase blocks in your block list, "Pointman" allows you to scoop up a block and plop it down at an appropriate time, and "Double Vision" has you controlling two vehicles at once.

Since each track is generated based on the music no two songs are exactly the same, that and online leaderboards for every individual song give the game a lot of replay value. I've already had a little tug 'o war with a couple of people in the global rankings for a few songs. As of writing this post, I'm currently ranked #1 for "Pendulum - Still Grey" (listed as "still grey -- pendulum" in the "Popular Songs" list inside the game). And if you lose the #1 spot on a song you'll get an email informing you that you've been kicked off your throne and encourages you to retake your position.

The graphics fit the game perfectly, and when everything is moving to the beat of the music and you're traveling fast the game really looks great. The highest detail level doesn't perform that well on my card, but all it really adds is extra bloom and blur effects, one step below the highest setting looks fine and runs much better. The music that comes with the game is good (contains original tracks as well as the entire Orange Box soundtrack), and of course you can select anything from your own personal music collection.

$n][pErMan
02-15-08, 10:05 PM
Good enough for me... for $10 I'll buy this later tonight and give it a run :)

$n][pErMan
02-15-08, 11:31 PM
FYI... this gaming is ****ing awesome! :D

WeReWoLf
02-16-08, 01:42 AM
I bit the bullet, it's downloading now

LurkerLito
02-16-08, 08:50 AM
It's really fun, the only thing I don't like is the email it sends you if you get dethroned from the top spot of a song. It looks as if you can't just globally tell it to not send you a email. You have to select the link in the email to stop alerts per song.

Madpistol
02-16-08, 10:58 AM
i'm downloading the demo. If it's any good, I'll buy the game.

Preparat
02-16-08, 11:09 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JROWtJgdHkY

looks like something that will me piss me off

$n][pErMan
02-16-08, 12:05 PM
I played this damn thing till 3am last night.. LoL. I think its a blast :) If you play a fast song its wicked fun.. hehe.

LordJuanlo
02-16-08, 12:35 PM
Really addictive, I tried the beta and then bought it. Really cheap BTW

WeReWoLf
02-16-08, 09:58 PM
I love it. Most fun songs i've played on it so far are both from the Drum and Bass band Pendulum. Vault and No one Knows.

Am_I_Evil
02-16-08, 11:15 PM
wtf? i just bought it after playing the demo and it keeps telling me the demo's over and asking if i want to buy it..

i already bought it...let me play the damn game...

edit: ahhh...just had to close then re-open steam....its all good now...

WeReWoLf
02-17-08, 12:55 AM
How does everyone like to control their thing? Keyboard or Mouse?

$n][pErMan
02-17-08, 02:07 AM
Mouse :) You can move quicker.

Mr. Hunt
02-17-08, 02:30 AM
Anybody post a video? I want to see wth you guys are talking about lol.

Madpistol
02-17-08, 10:04 AM
This game is addictive!

I'll work on a video.

wysiwyg
02-17-08, 10:08 AM
loads of vids on youtube

LovingSticky
02-17-08, 11:29 AM
// deleted

$n][pErMan
02-17-08, 11:33 AM
Anybody post a video? I want to see wth you guys are talking about lol.
they have a demo u can play :)

Tygerwoody
02-17-08, 11:55 AM
this game looks incredibly stupid