PDA

View Full Version : NVIDIA 8800 Ultra SLI and Ageia PhysX card should it go or stay?

Digital_Trans
02-15-08, 11:45 PM
I have an Ageia PhysX card PCI-Express along with SLI. I just want to know for the record what this all means...If I don't need to power my Ageia PhysX card anymore then I'll be glad to pull it from the system once someone confirms this for the record.
Wouldn't having the PhysX card along with SLI be the perfect setup? How do you think it would or wouldn't benefit?

Amuro
02-16-08, 05:56 AM
Remove the Ageia card. Geforce 8 series is going to get a software PhysX engine soon anyways.

Feyy
02-16-08, 06:42 AM
To be honest, anyone who bought a PhysX card only fooled themselves.

I would get rid of the card, try selling it off before it becomes worthless

jeffmd
02-16-08, 09:25 AM
Keep in mind that while geforce8 will be getting aegia hardware support, it wont be free by any means. shaders that once were used for 3d will be used for physx which means lower 3d performance. keeping the card is still a better idea.

Burnt_Ram
02-16-08, 09:54 AM
Keep in mind that while geforce8 will be getting aegia hardware support, it wont be free by any means. shaders that once were used for 3d will be used for physx which means lower 3d performance. keeping the card is still a better idea.
im evn more happy i have SLi now. I was thinking about getting just a single 98xx when they come out, but i think ill hold off and see how this whole physX thing pan's out. supposedly sli users wont see much of a shader hit, but i guess time will tell ;)

grimreefer
02-16-08, 02:09 PM
keep all the cards.

Burnt_Ram
02-16-08, 05:14 PM
keep all the cards. say what!?! care to elaborate?

Digital_Trans
02-16-08, 08:00 PM
I'll keep my 8800 Ultra SLI water cooled setup. I was just wondering what would be the reason to consider keeping my PCI-Express version Ageia PhysX card.

jolle
02-17-08, 05:41 AM
Could be a while before games using the GPU accelerated PhysX is out.
And AFAIK noone´s said anything about current games using PhysX and offering a HW implementation automaticly supporting the GPU accelerated version.

Besides, it would seem to me that if you use one of the GPUs for physics you wouldnt be running SLI anymore.
Or it would impact the graphics performance at least.

If you USE the PPU, then keep it I guess..

Digital_Trans
02-17-08, 09:29 AM
Exactly...(nana2)

Lenin
02-17-08, 07:29 PM
To be honest, anyone who bought a PhysX card only fooled themselves.

I would get rid of the card, try selling it off before it becomes worthless
+1

It's pointless for you now since you'll get it for free with an 8800 card soon.
I'd quickly sell it *now* while you can still get some money for it.

darkrider01
02-18-08, 12:33 PM
Exactly...(nana2)

I just noticed you have a 1,100-KW power supply. I didn't know anyone made a 1.1 megawatt PSU. That's sick!

1,100 Watts = 1.1 kW
1,100 kW = 1.1 MW

I'm an engineering conversion nazi.......

Digital_Trans
02-18-08, 01:41 PM
Yes, hp made this one which is really nice. It looks just like the one from Koolance only without all the water pumps and hoses.