PDA

View Full Version : P5K Premium overclocking, need some help.

Shocky
02-16-08, 06:47 AM
Just installed everything and it's working fine so far but it's using a completely different bios to my old gigabyte 965p, i've tried unlocking the mutli and FSB but it's not letting me change them. :(

specs

Q6600
8800 GTX
3GB DDR2 6400 4.4.4.12
X-FI Music
Tagan 700W
3x500GB Seagate HD's.

Revs
02-16-08, 07:01 AM
Hey shocky. There is an option that you need to put in 'Expert' mode as far as I remember. That should unlock the OC options. Once you've done that, just up the vCore and FSB speed and leave all the other options on 'auto'. Of course up the memory volts as required too.

Shocky
02-16-08, 07:06 AM
Hey shocky. There is an option that you need to put in 'Expert' mode as far as I remember. That should unlock the OC options. Once you've done that, just up the vCore and FSB speed and leave all the other options on 'auto'. Of course up the memory volts as required too.

I don't recall there being anything like that but i'll have a look, thanks revs,

Revs
02-16-08, 07:08 AM
I'm at work now but if you're struggling let me know and i'll look on the PC when I get home. My house mate is running my old P5K Prem on his PC.

Shocky
02-16-08, 08:22 AM
Seems to work after flashing the bios, so at least they are working so changed to 333 or 1:1 as it seems to be.

Shocky
02-16-08, 10:04 AM
Reached 3.5GHz (438*8) with 120 Ultra Extreme with 2x120mm, prime stable but got upto 68C, so looks like 3.4GHz will my comfortable 24/7 settings which isnt bad, but not great either, would be nice to get a CPU that actually overclocks above average for once.

Definintely an improvement over the 965p though, best stable on that 3.2GHz and the FSB was limited too 380FSB with the Q6600.

The board layout is not that great, the 16x PCI-E express slot is lower then id like and had to remove a hard drive to get the 8800GTX in, it also makes it allot more cramped around the sata connections, near impossible to access them.

Libertysyclone
02-16-08, 10:45 AM
I have the same complaint about my P5K deluxe I had to use some "inginuity" to make my 8800Ultra fit.

Basically had to hack off the back non functional part of the card's heat sink cover so i could use my sata ports.

But its still a ROCK SOLID board :)

Shocky
02-16-08, 11:10 AM
Have you had any luck with the N1 command rate?

Also, how hot do the cores get at 3.6GHz with the stock cooler and what voltage is that using?

Revs
02-16-08, 01:27 PM
It's unlikely that you'll be able to run at the 1T timing with over two sticks of RAM. My RAM is rated at 4-4-4-15 1T but won't run it with four sticks.

I too would like to know what temps you're getting, Libertysyclone, and at what vCore?

Shocky
02-17-08, 05:43 AM
One problem, well a minor issue really but when I turn the system on it immediately restarts and then powers up, any ideas why it does that?

It works fine great after.

Revs
02-17-08, 01:18 PM
It's usually due to a bad OC. It'll restart and set the FSB to default, but when it does this it usually holts after POSTing and tells you to hit F1 to retry your settings. If it doesn't holt it probably hasn't changed the FSB and you're OK. It can be caused by over-OCing the FSB, setting the vCore too low or setting memory timings too tight.

When it restarts just make sure it's held your OC. It'll tell you the CPU speed on the boot screen as long as you've disabled the logo on boot option in the BIOS.

Shocky
02-17-08, 02:03 PM
It's usually due to a bad OC. It'll restart and set the FSB to default, but when it does this it usually holts after POSTing and tells you to hit F1 to retry your settings. If it doesn't holt it probably hasn't changed the FSB and you're OK. It can be caused by over-OCing the FSB, setting the vCore too low or setting memory timings too tight.

When it restarts just make sure it's held your OC. It'll tell you the CPU speed on the boot screen as long as you've disabled the logo on boot option in the BIOS.

It didn't reset anything, everything was set the same as I left it, it's restarts straight after I power on then starts up itself with all the settings I've saved, doesnt make much sense as it hasnt crashed once in windows/games or while running prime so it is stable. :(

Revs
02-17-08, 02:06 PM
Does it only do it when you've had to PC switched off at the PSU/socket and not if the PC is just powered down?

Shocky
02-17-08, 02:12 PM
Does it only do it when you've had to PC switched off at the PSU/socket and not if the PC is just powered down?

Yes, only when I first power up, after that it's fine.

Revs
02-17-08, 02:22 PM
I've had a couple of PC's now that do that. I have no explanation for it :o

Libertysyclone
02-18-08, 09:18 AM
It's unlikely that you'll be able to run at the 1T timing with over two sticks of RAM. My RAM is rated at 4-4-4-15 1T but won't run it with four sticks.

I too would like to know what temps you're getting, Libertysyclone, and at what vCore?

Vcore was 1.4v and core temps are low 70's IHS temp is 68 max I have ever seen it(technically this is safe for Intel). It was definatly pushing it on the stock cooler but I'll let you know later this week what my final OC is on it (its on water now)

Revs
02-18-08, 09:34 AM
What are/were you using to load the CPU and what software to monitor the temps?

Libertysyclone
02-18-08, 09:56 AM
What are/were you using to load the CPU and what software to monitor the temps?

2 instances of Orthos with Affinity set 2 cores per instance over a 12 hour period.

Everest ultimate for temp monitoring/logging.

Revs
02-18-08, 11:15 AM
You must have a really breezy case or a darn cold room cos that temp is amazing for a stock cooler. Like you said though, it was a little on the high side. What temps are you getting with the watercooled setup?

BTW the max temp for a G0 is 71*C.

Libertysyclone
02-19-08, 05:07 PM
Lets just say airflow was good :) Avg room temp is 66-67*F

So I was 3*C under the 71* rating. I'll let you know on the water cooling temps when I am final on a stable OC. But I will say that my Q66 is capable of 4Ghz...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c133/libertysyclone/IMG_4396.jpg

Revs
02-19-08, 05:15 PM
lol, well cooled indeed :D Also 4Ghz is a hell of an OC. I could get 3.6 with mine but it wanted alot of volts. Well within the 1.5 max vCore Intel say, but it was getting hot.

Libertysyclone
02-22-08, 10:44 AM
Here is a screen of the current serup @3.6

I have booted into windows @4.2 but when I run RAM stability tests it BSOD, So I guess this means I have to Man up and get some 1066 Ram to hit those speeds...

I am 99% sure its my RAM and not my CPU, even at stock clocks my RAM freaks out when I start loosening timings and uping voltage. Same BSOD code as @ 4.2Ghz
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c133/libertysyclone/CaptureofnotsopimpingOC.jpg

Revs
02-23-08, 06:56 AM
I doubt it's your RAM. I was running the same DDR800 in my sig in the P5K Premium at 1081 with no problems what so ever. The mobo I have now starts getting unstable over 880Mhz, but even though it's running slower the bandwidth is MUCH higher. With this Striker I get just under 10Gbps with the RAM at 800Mhz. Anyway, my point is it'll be the CPU hitting it's limits. 4.0Ghz is VERY high, 4.2Ghz stable would be just silly.

Libertysyclone
02-25-08, 11:06 AM
I am 99% sure its the RAM, I cant OC mine over about 830 and run the ram/cpu blend test in orthos w/o bluescreen even with looser timings and more voltage. we'll find out in a few weeks when the 1066 gets here...

Libertysyclone
02-27-08, 07:52 PM
Update to this already hijacked thread.

I am sitting at 3.825 stable in orthos (I am about 3 hours into it)

IHS temps are @49c highest core is 63c

Vcore under load is........1.52.... Temps are still good right?

I hate OC'ing its making me want to build a phase change cooler...