PDA

View Full Version : Brother's XPS 720

Technoholic
02-16-08, 08:47 PM
My brother is getting $2,300 system without monitor. My father prefers to get something without having to purchase parts by parts. So Dell XPS 720 would do. I'm surprised my father would do something like this.

Basically, the system is...
Q6600
3GB DDR2 800 RAM
DUAL 8800GT 512MB SLI
Windows XP Media Center Media

I think my father told me that he was getting 500GB harddrive, I'm not sure. But if so, I'd partition it and put in Vista for DirectX 10.

But how well do you think the system, WITH dual 512MB 8800GT will run in Crysis?

Just wanted some inputs.

breathemetal
02-16-08, 09:13 PM
I'd say it would run it pretty well :) But thats a lot of dough, you could easily build a rig like that urself for alot less. Why dont u just do it for them?

Technoholic
02-17-08, 03:37 AM
I'd say it would run it pretty well :) But thats a lot of dough, you could easily build a rig like that urself for alot less. Why dont u just do it for them?
I tried. I tried telling my dad that it cost cheaper.

I guess he prefers to have it his own way, and warranty, less hassle...

Ben is a COD4-freak on 360, I think. He'd prolly love it on his computer as well. I played COD4 for the first time on 360 tonight, omg..It owns. I will buy the game for my system. :)

XDanger
02-17-08, 10:51 AM
You could probably build 2 for that money ,No need for a warranty.

stncttr908
02-17-08, 11:19 AM
I really wish there was something you could say to change his mind. My buddy just went down to Micro Center and picked up a Q6600, 8GB DDR2 (he's into 3D modeling, hence the quad core and 8GB), dual 8800GTs and a 780i motherboard for $1400.

And now he's getting the 30" Dell, meaning his total cost after that, a case, and whatever other bits will only be slightly higher than this XPS, w/o monitor. :headexplode:

In your dad's defense though, having a nice all-inclusive warranty on that kind of investment is a major plus.

Technoholic
02-17-08, 02:31 PM
You could probably build 2 for that money ,No need for a warranty.
Well, you may never know what happens. My brother did have to have a Dell rep to actually came to our home to fix the system, covered by Dell warranty. I'm not sure what happened though.

I did offer my dad to buy through Newegg and it's much cheaper, and he just goes against me.

CapnKirk
02-19-08, 09:53 AM
My brother is getting $2,300 system without monitor. My father prefers to get something without having to purchase parts by parts. So Dell XPS 720 would do. I'm surprised my father would do something like this.

Basically, the system is...
Q6600
3GB DDR2 800 RAM
DUAL 8800GT 512MB SLI
Windows XP Media Center Media

I think my father told me that he was getting 500GB harddrive, I'm not sure. But if so, I'd partition it and put in Vista for DirectX 10.

But how well do you think the system, WITH dual 512MB 8800GT will run in Crysis?

Just wanted some inputs.

Gunna make this quick.
Before the Blackbird I bought the DELL XPS 720 H2C, $6200, no monitor.

The bios isn't open so you can only change a few things.
The 8800 Ultra cards were slow and so close together that they would get very hot.
You can't put anything but more dvd roms in the front bays and they have 4 open bays???

My first one just crashed and died after 2weeks, got a replacement which started to leak coolant and ruined everything.
They sent every single part but they case and i put it together with the utmost care and it was fine.
But since the parts were refurbished the power supply actually smoked and burned some wires.

That was it for me. As far as running games it would be ok, but things get so hot that it will shut down, crash or die.

http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3711.JPG

gotta go, Dell owns alienware so no good, there isn't any machine that is really good thats pre-built unless you get a good Blackbird or build one.

one of my builds

http://home.comcast.net/~moshea/all_lit_up.JPG

EciDemon
02-19-08, 10:10 AM
You should educate your dad that building the rig is half the fun :)
and it's no hassle, just order everything from the same source, you get it cheaper and if anything is doa, it should be no problem geting it replaced.
Besides ... Dell .. i get a bad taste in my mouth just saying it lol.

Another tip, Copy the setup from a ready built rig, ie simalar hardware but order it in peices and you can be pretty sure it will work. Can't get any easier then that. You might missout on those special design cases, but there are plenty other brands (better too) available, and you still would not have broken that budget. :)

You wanted input, there it is.

EciDemon
02-19-08, 10:19 AM
CapnKirk> a bit OT here... that temperature lcd monitor module, been eyeballing one of those, could you perhaps share some thoughts about it ?
Any good, easy to install, customize etc etc
Would be mounted in a black case tho (TT Kandalf, older model)

stncttr908
02-19-08, 11:21 AM
Perhaps if you persuaded him to get extended Newegg warranties on the important components he'd budge. :)

CapnKirk
02-19-08, 12:08 PM
CapnKirk> a bit OT here... that temperature lcd monitor module, been eyeballing one of those, could you perhaps share some thoughts about it ?
Any good, easy to install, customize etc etc
Would be mounted in a black case tho (TT Kandalf, older model)

Here's a link, I liked it, bought 4 of them in case they stopped making them and wanted to have backups or use some in other rigs.

http://www.xoxide.com/aerocool-gatewatch-black.html

Can't go into detail, really have so much to do, but it worked fine.
Will try and remember the cons and pros in detail, but I have to get this room cleaned up and have cases and computers to lug to the basement.

Then more cleaning up.

Only reason the pc is on, my wifes pc, is because I keep checking the UPS tracking.

Technoholic
02-23-08, 12:02 PM
Little update.

The system arrived. Funny thing is, when the FedEx delivery guy was setting down one small box, my dog came running right out when I stopped him, he barked real loudly and the guy was scared as f$#k. :D I told the guy he doesn't bite quickly, he just gets excited. It was funny though, poor guy though he almost shatted in his pants. lol

Small box you ask? Found out my father also ordered 22" Dell monitor with built in webcam. I'm jealous!! He has glossy screen as well! But up to 1680x1050 though...

So that's why the total is $2,300+. Besides the monitor, it's probably less than $2,000 I guess.

[Edit] My dad won't be setting up the system until he has time, or unless he asks me to set it up. He said he don't wanna do it now or tomorrow. Tomorrow, he's doing the tax refund. I hope he will ask me to do it though!!! :p

Technoholic
02-23-08, 12:04 PM
Perhaps if you persuaded him to get extended Newegg warranties on the important components he'd budge. :)
I told my mom about it, my dad told her he wanted Dell system because it's already built, makes life easier. Basically, I know a lot...not too much... about hardwares, and my dad knows A LOT about networks and he works A LOT too. So he won't have time to put parts by parts.

Roliath
02-23-08, 12:18 PM
I told my mom about it, my dad told her he wanted Dell system because it's already built, makes life easier. Basically, I know a lot...not too much... about hardwares, and my dad knows A LOT about networks and he works A LOT too. So he won't have time to put parts by parts.

There's nothing wrong with buying a pre-built, you shouldn't have to justify your purchase (Or your dad's in this case).

Technoholic
02-23-08, 12:43 PM
You're right, there's nothing wrong with buying pre-built, but it can widen the hole in my dad's pocket. We have had been on tight budget for a while, and he still gets what my brother wants. I'm saying I could have gotten him a cheaper system for the same component or so.

CapnKirk
02-23-08, 02:18 PM
You're right, there's nothing wrong with buying pre-built, but it can widen the hole in my dad's pocket. We have had been on tight budget for a while, and he still gets what my brother wants. I'm saying I could have gotten him a cheaper system for the same component or so.

Best of luck with that, it's the H2C 720?
I had to RMA the first one, the second, and the third one.

Set it up ASAP and run it non stop, because after 21 days Dell will not refund your money.

I got a full refund after 3 months from them after giving them the option to refund my money or I would be forced to take legal action which would cost them more money for what is called "pain and suffering"

No reply from them after a week past.
One phone call from my lawyer and 2 days later I received confirmation from Dell that my credit card charge would be refunded.

Had I not saved all the emails, chat logs and invoices as proof, it would have been a long drawn out process.

My point is, the XPS 720 H2C their top version is not made to last.
Heat being the main problem, standing behind it felt like a portable room heater.
The parts used are low to middle quality and between that and the heat. They fail. After going through 3 of them speaks for itself.

Having two 8800 Ultras this close is just insane.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3693.JPG

And not water cooling them in a system that has a water cooling unit already for the cpu is pretty damn stupid.

That's an XPS 720 H2C.
Not sure if you got the same one, but in any case, your better make sure it's right before 21 days.

That was my experience with Dell and the XPS 720 H2C.
And that's all I can go by.

Hope you have no problems and remember to run the heck out of it before the refund limit is over. :)

Technoholic
02-24-08, 01:20 AM
Best of luck with that, it's the H2C 720?
I had to RMA the first one, the second, and the third one.

Set it up ASAP and run it non stop, because after 21 days Dell will not refund your money.

I got a full refund after 3 months from them after giving them the option to refund my money or I would be forced to take legal action which would cost them more money for what is called "pain and suffering"

No reply from them after a week past.
One phone call from my lawyer and 2 days later I received confirmation from Dell that my credit card charge would be refunded.

Had I not saved all the emails, chat logs and invoices as proof, it would have been a long drawn out process.

My point is, the XPS 720 H2C their top version is not made to last.
Heat being the main problem, standing behind it felt like a portable room heater.
The parts used are low to middle quality and between that and the heat. They fail. After going through 3 of them speaks for itself.

Having two 8800 Ultras this close is just insane.
http://home.comcast.net/~seven333/DSCF3693.JPG

And not water cooling them in a system that has a water cooling unit already for the cpu is pretty damn stupid.

That's an XPS 720 H2C.
Not sure if you got the same one, but in any case, your better make sure it's right before 21 days.

That was my experience with Dell and the XPS 720 H2C.
And that's all I can go by.

Hope you have no problems and remember to run the heck out of it before the refund limit is over. :)
Whoa PROPS to you man, thanks for telling me that. I'll have my father informed. And no, it's not 720 H2C, I believe, but we'll run it nonstop for awhile just in case.

EciDemon
02-25-08, 03:57 AM
Technoholic> Best of luck with bros rig there. I do like the design of the xps chassis, on the inside I can't comment, havent seen the inside of them.
A tip is to download a few stress test apps, both for cpu and gpu and run those in combination with a temperature monitor software. Links to these softwares you can find on the forum here, check benchmark/OC etc :)

CapnKirk> A bit late, but thanks for the info on the fan controller, Ive seen it available at online stores here in sweden but dang, they cost nearly 3 times as much as from the link you provided ...
*humm, sound equalizer ... sounds fishy lol*