PDA

View Full Version : Linksy Router port opening

vampireuk
04-26-03, 11:45 AM
How do I open ports on the router to enable me to send files via IRC and messenger programs? I've looked through the whole set-up and I'm just lost:(

Sazar
04-26-03, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by vampireuk
How do I open ports on the router to enable me to send files via IRC and messenger programs? I've looked through the whole set-up and I'm just lost:(

port forwarding...

basically you open a browser... enter in the ip of the router to change features... and then in the linksys routers options you should be able to forward ports... :)

my old netgear (non-wireless) and my new d-link (wireless) routers are very different in terms of layout and terminology (I dunno why really )

but thats the gist of it :)

I am sure if you run a google search it will yield exactly what you need for the following : linksys (model number) port forwarding

the ip to enter to get to changing stuff should also be online :)

have fun...

netviper13
04-26-03, 11:50 AM
The IP for Linksys routers is usually 192.168.1.1

digitalwanderer
04-26-03, 11:50 AM
I was just thinking about wrestling with me own cheapy Siemer Speedstream 4-port DSL/router to figure out how to get rid of that "low ping, port not open" error that eMule keeps giving me.

SnakeEyes
04-28-03, 10:53 AM
Port forwarding is definitely the way to go if you want to maintain some semblance of security. I'm lazy though, so I use the DMZ host option in my Linksys for my PC. This means that all ports are wide open (barring whatever software like ZoneAlarm Pro can provide). It does eliminate the hassle of figuring out what ports each applicaton I'm using needs though. (That part was the most irritating thing for me- so many ports that you have to manually enter, not even to mention the digging on the 'net to find out WHAT the ports needed are..) :p

vampireuk
05-09-03, 01:30 PM
Meh no luck, tried the DMZ Host and nothing:(

FastM
05-09-03, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by vampireuk
Meh no luck, tried the DMZ Host and nothing:(

You enter the IP of your computer (specifing that IP in DMZ mode) not the routers adress. :)

vampireuk
05-09-03, 03:46 PM
lol I figured that out about 5 minutes after I posted. However when it finally worked it killed the connection on my brothers machine. I reset the router settings and then it would work on neither, stuck the cable directly into this and had to ring up my isp to register the mac address:mad:

Any ideas as to why it killed the other machines connection? And is it possible to open all ports for both machines, I'm waiting until tommorow to sort it out now:mad:

vampireuk
05-10-03, 05:56 AM
Right im now back online with the rig and setting up the other computer as I type:cool: I think I may go with another router if it happens again.

Edit: Right my quick fix has been to set my brothers machine to the DMZ host opening all the ports. And for port forwarding I have entered the ports that I need for DCC file transfers. Seems to be working well, thanks for the help guys:cool:

marcocom
05-12-03, 04:46 AM
just keep the Linksys and keep learning. your almost there. I tire of those that seek to buy their way out of learning how to properly configure things.

be patient, your not dumb. just keep learning. soon , you will look back on this and chuckle.

vampireuk
05-12-03, 07:10 AM
ahh im chuckling now:D fortunatly setting the network back up only took a few minutes. I was expecting to be walking back and forth for hours. I've got file transfers working on both machines now, so I'm happy:cool: