PDA

View Full Version : Does DX10 give more FPS with my 8800gt?

omar
02-18-08, 01:36 AM
Hello everyone. I just recently bought my evga 8800gt superclocked edition and put it into my computer. This 8800gt is a physical upgrade from my 6600gt that was prevuiosly in there. I play last generation games like World of Warcraft and counterstrike source edition. However, i have windows XP on my system at the moment, and the change was not that significant in FPS, i actually saw more increase in my fps, when i ordered more ram 2 days later. So my question would be, "Do cards that are meant for Vista and DX 10 work quicker and give more fps on Vista? or can my 8800gt perform just as well (fps) on windows xp. If anyone could help me out with this i would appreciate it, becuase i am currently looking to buy vista if it will grant me more fps and quicker frames just becuase my 8800gt will be able to utilize its dx 10 capabilities.
Thanks for any help

methimpikehoses
02-18-08, 01:58 AM
Unfortunately, no. XP is better for FPS in games at this point.

It makes me :headexplode:

omar
02-18-08, 02:00 AM
even with a card that is meant to use dx10?

methimpikehoses
02-18-08, 02:03 AM
even with a card that is meant to use dx10?

Yep. Those cards are still very good in DX9, your best performance with an 8800 is going to be with XP instead of Vista.

Some games (Crysis) offer somewhat better graphics in DX10, but you take a big performance hit.

omar
02-18-08, 02:06 AM
so any ideas on how to raise my fps? i still lag in WoW on semi-high settings....is my card possibly defected? anyone hear anything on EVGA 8800gt superclocked edition?

methimpikehoses
02-18-08, 02:12 AM
so any ideas on how to raise my fps? i still lag in WoW on semi-high settings....is my card possibly defected? anyone hear anything on EVGA 8800gt superclocked edition?

List all your specs and someone will be able to help you.

omar
02-18-08, 02:23 AM
amd athlon 64 3200+ /// 3gb hyperx kingston high performance gaming ram ddr1 pc 3200 /// 100gb 7k rpm WD HD /// biostar geforce 6100 mb /// EVGA 8800gt 512mb superclocked video card

and everything runs very cool

so im wondering are my specs holding me back on games like wow, that similar systems with this vid card do ALOT better with, or is too much junk on my HD holding me back, it may be time for a wipe and reformat XP. Any thoughts would help, and thanks for the help so far

methimpikehoses
02-18-08, 02:25 AM
amd athlon 64 3200+ /// 3gb hyperx kingston high performance gaming ram ddr1 pc 3200 /// 100gb 7k rmp WD HD /// biostar geforce 6100 mb /// EVGA 8800gt 512mb superclocked video card

and everything runs very cool

so im wondering are my specs holding me back on games like wow, that similar systems with this vid card do ALOT better with, or is too much junk on my HD holding me back, it may be time for a wipe and reformat XP. Any thoughts would help, and thanks for the help so far

How slow is it going? I would think that that rig would handle WoW no problem.

omar
02-18-08, 02:31 AM
well in large cities i still freeze up, in instances i still freeze up and or go down to 20-30fps, on high settings, which i know the 8800gt does ALOT better.

EciDemon
02-18-08, 02:40 AM
Titles with DX10 effects dont give better fps vs the same in dx9 mode.
This is because in dx10 you have heavier shader effects and they dont come for free. Crysis has been mentioned, Hellgate London is the same.

If there's something in your puter holding you back i think it is your CPU.
Also, mmo's are not games you want to test performance with, they tend to lag alot despite superior hardware. Try some Quake4 or any other FPS or Rpg, just not mmo's

I recently bought my 8800gt too and Im very impressed, Dx9 titles works so well now :) everything maxed out in all games ive played at 1680x1050
Those games works just as well but not better in Vista, so the only advantage there is, is Dx10, and that of course dx10 dont give you better fps, you get lower due to more effects in use.

methimpikehoses
02-18-08, 02:40 AM
well in large cities i still freeze up, in instances i still freeze up and or go down to 20-30fps, on high settings, which i know the 8800gt does ALOT better.

I have never played it, so I'm not the best to ask about WoW. I imagine that you're CPU is the biggest bottleneck in your system, particularly if it's running at stock speeds. Cleaning/defragging the HD might also help somewhat, as does closing down other programs while playing.

Also make sure you have correct drivers for the 8800. You can get info about that in the drivers forum.

Tr1cK
02-18-08, 09:00 AM
WoW is way more CPU and RAM dependent than video card.

Try to find yourself a dual-core CPU for that system and overclock it up to 2.4ghz or so and you will be good to go.

conroejoe
02-18-08, 09:43 AM
Hello everyone. I just recently bought my evga 8800gt superclocked edition and put it into my computer. This 8800gt is a physical upgrade from my 6600gt that was prevuiosly in there. I play last generation games like World of Warcraft and counterstrike source edition. However, i have windows XP on my system at the moment, and the change was not that significant in FPS, i actually saw more increase in my fps, when i ordered more ram 2 days later. So my question would be, "Do cards that are meant for Vista and DX 10 work quicker and give more fps on Vista? or can my 8800gt perform just as well (fps) on windows xp. If anyone could help me out with this i would appreciate it, becuase i am currently looking to buy vista if it will grant me more fps and quicker frames just becuase my 8800gt will be able to utilize its dx 10 capabilities.
Thanks for any help

Well dont buy Vista if you want more FPS in games. XP is faster. Upgrade your CPU and get some DDR2, should give you a nice bump in the minimums FPS.

john19055
02-18-08, 03:17 PM
I would'nt spend the money for Vista either if I was you ,instead I would up grade your CPU ,memory and motherboard.For $240 you could have that 8800GT really smokeing fast .A Core2 E4500 for $125 and overclock it to 3.3gigs and a Gigabyte GA-P31 for $70 and 2gigs of DDR2 800 for $45.

Armed_Baboon
02-19-08, 12:57 AM
maybe it's your mouse. have you thought of getting a new mouse?

(ok I'll shut up now).