PDA

View Full Version : just bought a 360... but still not 100% sure

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

spaceigg
02-18-08, 07:41 AM
I am not sure of my decision... played halo 3 for a bit it looks awesome.
but my question to you guys is the ps3 the one to have????
i heard the graphics on the ps3 were not so good. plus the game library is not as good as the 360,
please give me your input on this, I greatly appreciate it.

3DBrad
02-18-08, 08:36 AM
Do you want to have a Blu-ray player or no? That's the deciding factor for me. I have owned all three consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) and they all have their pros and cons.
:)

I own a PS3 now, as some of its best games are yet to be seen, whereas on the 360, Gears of War pretty much showed you what the 360 is capable of. :)

But if you don't want a Bluray player but want good graphics, the 360 is the best choice, IMO. ;)

Tr1cK
02-18-08, 09:05 AM
360 vs PS3 is SO last year. :p

The graphics are pretty much a toss up with the 360 slightly ahead. PS3 has a built in Bluray drive for larger capacity and movie viewing. PS3 has more exclusives where 360 has more of their library shared with PC. My 360 was a gift to me from 2 years ago. I am looking to make the PS3 my next purchase, but only one with backwards compatibility.

|MaguS|
02-18-08, 09:39 AM
360 vs PS3 is SO last year. :p

The graphics are pretty much a toss up with the 360 slightly ahead.

That is only true on most crossplatform titles. When it comes down to showing the systems capabilities, Uncharted and Rachet look better then anything on the X360...

EciDemon
02-18-08, 09:41 AM
Some pretty good games on the 360, that's the reason to have it.
But as others say, upcoming games on the ps3 is looking very good (Mgs4 :D among others)

When my last (new) gfx card broke I bought my 360 as I didnt want to mess with the puter, got too tired of it, and it surved it's purpose just fine.
Problem is, many 360 games comes to PC too, and there you have better performance, and those that are exlusive have this PC feel to them. I think the PS3 maintains the console feel a bit better with the games coming for that console. So even tho i bought the 360, i think the ps3 is what I really want, and Ill get one eventually, just need them good games to be released first :)
Then again, if your like me who love games, then i guess you want both consoles ;)

six_storm
02-18-08, 10:51 AM
Go with whichever one has the better game library. The XBOX 360 has a ton of awesome games, it extends my media center from my HTPC and much more. I've had my 360 since launch so I've had no regrets.

LovingSticky
02-18-08, 11:11 AM
Most games made for XBox are (or will be) made for PC as well. I believe PS3 has some unique titles. On the other hand, XBox can be used as a Media Center extender, and works well here. Microsoft will be also offering BD drive for XBox soon (first external, later integrated one).

It is still a very hard decision to make.

I went PS3 route, just because price of XBox (Elite 120GB) + Wifi was about 30% *more* than PS3 40GB w/ Wifi and Blu-Ray.

ATi
02-18-08, 11:19 AM
i got them all i whould like the ps3 better if i can play music and games like the 360 oh and the 360 has better online u can chat any time but PC ftw:headexplode:

MowTin
02-18-08, 11:51 AM
If you have a HDTV than the PS3 is a no brainer. You get a blu-ray player, not just some cheap blu-ray player but a high quality one. A blu-ray player comparable to the PS3 will cost you $400. So it's like you're getting $400 for free.

If you have an HDTV why on earth would NOT want the option to play hidef movies.

The PS3 is an excellent upscaling DVD player. You have to remember that Sony makes high quality audio/video equipment all the time. The PS3 looks and works like a high quality DVD player.

Why is the PS3 a better DVD player? Well, I suspect the image quality is better but that's debatable. The most important reason is that it's QUIET. The 360 makes so much noise. No one would buy a loud DVD player that distracts you while watching movies.

As others have mentioned if you have a high end PC you can get most 360 exclusives on the PC (GoW, Mass Effect).

The PS3 plays nicely with your PC periferals. You can plug in your USB keyboard, you can plug in your USB camera, you casn plug in your logitech USB wheel, you can plug in a USB hard drive or swap the PS3 hard drive. Not so with the 360.

The 360 had a lot of manufacturing issues. Of the first batch they manufactured I would guess 80% of them will fail at some point. They say they solved their problems but who knows? Sometimes I turn on my Elite and see some red rings and I get a heart attack. Sony is just better at manufacturing consumer electronics.

The systems are about even with games. PS3's great games are GT5 (I'm addicted to the demo), Killzone 2, and Resistance 2. I'm not fan of Final Fantasy or MGS games. Uncharted is also excellent.

I own both. It wasn't until I owned the PS3 that I realized that it totally owns the 360 hardware wise.

stncttr908
02-18-08, 12:09 PM
From my POV, the 360 has the better game library at this point. If your main focus is gaming then you've made the right decision. If you want to play a few games (Uncharted, GT5 Prologue, etc.), watch HD movies, mess around with Linux on a sweet platform, etc. then a PS3 wouldn't be a bad choice either.

Destroy
02-18-08, 12:22 PM
Bought a PS3 for 3 reasons; its very quiet, BluRay and most (not all) 360 titles come to PC.

Revs
02-18-08, 12:33 PM
Good point, 360's are annoyingly loud.

3DBrad
02-18-08, 12:36 PM
And I also had to return my Xbox360 about 4x, but at least I got two free months of Xbox Live. :p

spaceigg
02-18-08, 01:16 PM
wow... i guess I will be sticking with the 360 if quality and games are abouat the same because i paid a lot less for the 360 than what a ps3 costs.. Thank you all for your feedback!

ViN86
02-18-08, 01:18 PM
im waiting for the BD add-on for the 360 lol. :)

if i were to get a PS3, it would only be for the BD player and maybe the fact i can install linux on it. i like gaming on my 360 much more.

MowTin
02-18-08, 01:30 PM
wow... i guess I will be sticking with the 360 if quality and games are abouat the same because i paid a lot less for the 360 than what a ps3 costs.. Thank you all for your feedback!

Hmm...did you buy the 360 Elite? Do you have a HDTV?

I think the Elite and PS3 40Gb cost about the same.

Edit: You do realize that the PS3 is now outselling the 360? http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006491.html
People are buying up 360's because of Blu-ray and eventually they'll have the largest install base.
I predict the PS3 will win the console wars in 2008 and 2009.

crainger
02-18-08, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it'll win in 2009 just as the new generation is due to hit. ::D:

nVJoe
02-18-08, 03:34 PM
Do you want to have a Blu-ray player or no? That's the deciding factor for me. I have owned all three consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) and they all have their pros and cons.
:)

I own a PS3 now, as some of its best games are yet to be seen, whereas on the 360, Gears of War pretty much showed you what the 360 is capable of. :)

But if you don't want a Bluray player but want good graphics, the 360 is the best choice, IMO. ;)
They are BOTH crap. Get a Phantom (http://www.phantom.net/home.html), IMO.

Phantom: The way the others should be playing but don't cuz they suzorz...

|JuiceZ|
02-18-08, 04:11 PM
Hmm...did you buy the 360 Elite? Do you have a HDTV?

I think the Elite and PS3 40Gb cost about the same.

Edit: You do realize that the PS3 is now outselling the 360? http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006491.html
People are buying up 360's because of Blu-ray and eventually they'll have the largest install base.
I predict the PS3 will win the console wars in 2008 and 2009.

Think you meant to say ppl are buying up PS3's because of Blu-ray and you can add me to that camp as of last weekend :cool:

Lyme
02-18-08, 10:20 PM

You really can't go wrong with either platform. If you wanted a console for games, and want those games available now, the 360 stands out. If you wanted a console for games of tomorrow, or blu-ray, the ps3 is the likely candidate.

Now that you have more or less decided to keep your choice in consoles, I'd suggest a few things:
-Connect your 360 to the internet.
-Try out a number of playable demo's and xbox live arcade playable demo's.
-Take a browse through the movie/tv rental library.
-Have fun (because that is the point, isn't it).

SeriTonin
02-18-08, 10:55 PM
I'd get a ps3 instead. Between blu-ray (not just for movies but bigger capacity for games) and the fact ps3's don't have like a 16% defective rate attached to them (overblown number but it is HIGH)

Considering the fact most exclusives worthwhile usually fall in sony's lap, overall I'd say ps3.

But 360 is no slouch, I'm just still bitter I went through 5 systems, all of them rings of death, on the 5th I said f*ck it and re-built my pc.

ClosetFanBoy
02-18-08, 11:00 PM
PS3 all the waaaaay baybay!

I'm finally breaking down, going PS3. No particular reason, just want a PS3 :D

crainger
02-18-08, 11:58 PM
They are BOTH crap. Get a Phantom (http://www.phantom.net/home.html), IMO.

Phantom: The way the others should be playing but don't cuz they suzorz...

I've had my Phantom since release. Not a problem with it. Hasn't crashed once. No frame rate issues, no nothing. Best console ever.

LovingSticky
02-19-08, 07:34 AM
XBox-360 console dies at Microsoft XNA exhibition, showing red-ring-of-death:

http://blip.tv/file/678329/

Xav
02-19-08, 09:56 AM

You are making a good call. You have alot of PS3 fans on this site (funny it wasn't quite that way a year ago..fickle people!! :D ) that will tell you go with the PS3 but speaking as someone who owns both and loves them both...most of my games are on the 360.

At THIS time you can be pretty sure you are getting the best version of the multiplatform titles (big deal for me) and although the argument about 360 games coming to the PC is somewhat valid you really have to look at how poorly most of those ports run and how long you have to wait to play them. Oh and I also find it humorous that the PS3 only guys use that PC port thing to knock 360 when the PS3's 2 top shooters, CoD4 and UT3, are BOTH on the PC!

You'll have almost all the multiplatform games available to you with your 360, lots of nice exclusive titles and you can break up the expenditures on your console by being able to get the games now and buy the Blu-ray add-on later..(since we know it's coming ;) ) if you decide you want that.

Lastly..the whole "it's so loud!!!11!1" is bogus. Yeah you can hear it but personally when my 360 is on I don't really notice it unless I'm listening for it...the rest of the time I'm playing games and I don't notice it at all. Of all the other people I know with 360s I've never heard one of them mention it being "too loud"... they all love the thing to death.

Enjoy your purchase!