PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to buy Epic Games for $1 billion?

Pages : [1] 2

evox
02-18-08, 10:52 AM
According to wral.com, GamePro magazine assistant editor Travis Moses believes Microsoft will purchase Epic Games this summer for the tidy sum of $1 billion.

"Microsoft will buy Epic Games for $1 billion this summer," wrote Moses. "Microsoft has lots of cash on hand, and in buying Epic, could collect royalty rights for Unreal technology across other platforms."

Epic Games is famous for the creation of the Unreal Engine, now in its third version, and the multi-million selling Unreal and Gears of War franchises.

Moses also notes that the recent acquisition of BioWare Pandemic by EA and the Activision Vivendi merger make Microsoft's acquisition of Epic Games even more likely.

Microsoft is expected to make some major announcements concerning its gaming business at GDC later this week, but we don't think we'll be hearing anything regarding the acquisition of Epic Games.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/18-02-2008-7543.html

Hmmm(lee63)

Jonelo
02-18-08, 10:57 AM
Bufff , very bad new, the monopoly of MS in the world of the videogame more bigger ...

Eliminator
02-18-08, 11:06 AM
meh who cares... epic has already gone down the drain

Destroy
02-18-08, 11:42 AM
meh who cares... epic has already gone down the drain

QFT. Wish that crappy over used U3 engine would just go away and die.

Burnt_Ram
02-18-08, 11:52 AM
i'll second that!

MowTin
02-18-08, 11:55 AM
Cool, it means that GoW 2 will be coming to PC to support "Games for Windows."

stncttr908
02-18-08, 12:01 PM
Cool, it means that GoW 2 will be coming to PC to support "Games for Windows."
A year after the 360 version!

MowTin
02-18-08, 12:09 PM
A year after the 360 version!

When you consider Mass Effect and Assasins creed it seems like they're shortening the wait. So, maybe 6 months.

malachi1313
02-18-08, 12:15 PM
When you consider Mass Effect and Assasins creed it seems like they're shortening the wait. So, maybe 6 months.
No doubt. I thought for sure we would have to wait 3 years before mass effect would be released for pc.

NarcissistZero
02-18-08, 12:24 PM
Pretty sure the eventual goal is a simultaneous release across PC and 360 for all major titles... that was what MS talked about with their GFW "develop once and publish twice" philosophy.

It's fine with me, unlike some PC gamers I am fine with console ports as long as they run well... I'd rather have those games on PC than not.

LordJuanlo
02-18-08, 12:40 PM
Maybe next Windows will be UnrealEngine4 based

nekrosoft13
02-18-08, 01:16 PM

when you consider both both games, MS didn't have a say in it. if it was up to MS, you would wait much longer.

nekrosoft13
02-18-08, 01:17 PM

to many games use U3, wish other better engines would be used.

evox
02-18-08, 01:34 PM
to many games use U3, wish other better engines would be used.
Yup.

Unreal Engine 3

* A4 (sequel to A3) - (2009) AniPark
* Aliens — (2009) Gearbox Software
* America's Army 3.0 — (2008) US Army
* American Mcgee's Grimm - (2008) Spicy Horse
* APB — (2008) Webzen
* Alliance of Valiant Arms - (2007) Pmang
* Black College Football: BCFX: The Xperience - (2007) Nerjyzed Entertainment
* Black Powder Red Earth - (2007) Echelon Software
* Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway — (2008) Gearbox Software
* BioShock - (2007) 2K Boston/2K Australia
* BlackSite: Area 51 — (2007) Midway Austin
* Blitz - (2008) CJIG
* Borderlands - (2008) Gearbox Software
* Command and Conquer: Tiberium - (2008) EA Los Angeles
* Crimecraft - (2008) Vogster Entertainment
* Damnation - (2008) Blue Omega / Point of View
* DC Comics MMO — (TBA) Sony Online Entertainment
* Earth No More — (2009) Recoil Games / 3D Realms
* Empire - (TBA) Chair Entertainment
* Ender's Game — (TBA) Chair Entertainment
* Elveon — (2007) 10tacle Studios[42]
* End - (TBA) Faramix Enterprises[43]
* Fatal Inertia — (2007) Koei[44]
* Free Realm - (TBA) Sony Online Entertainment
* Frontlines: Fuel of War — (2008) Kaos Studios
* Fury — (2007) Auran[45]
* Gears of War — (2006) Epic Games
* Global Agenda — (TBA) Hi-Rez Studios[46]
* Hail to the Chimp — (2008) Wideload Games [47]
* Halo Wars — (TBA 2008) Ensemble Studios
* Highlander: The Game — (TBA 2008) TBA
* Hei$t - (2007) inXile Entertainment
* Hour of Victory — (2007) Midway Games
* Huxley — (2008) Webzen Games[48]
* Interstellar Marines - (2008) Zero Point Software [49]
* Lost Odyssey — (2007) Mistwalker[50]
* Mass Effect — (2007) BioWare[51]
* Magna Carta 2 - (TBA) Softmax
* Medal of Honor: Airborne — (2007) Electronic Arts[52]
* Monster Madness: Battle for Suburbia — (2007) Artificial Studios[53]
* Mortal Kombat 8 - (2008) Midway
* Parabellum - (2008) Acony
* Project Georgia - (TBA) Obsidian Entertainment
* Project M - (TBA) NC Soft
* Red Steel sequel - (TBA) Ubisoft
* Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Conspiracy - (2008) High Moon Studios
* RoboBlitz — (2006) Naked Sky Entertainment[54]
* Rogue Warrior: Black Razor - (2007) Bethesda Softworks
* Section 8 (2009) Timegate Studios
* Sephiroth 2 - (TBA) IMagic Entertainment
* Sin City - (TBA) Transmission Games / RedMile Entertainment[55]
* Stargate Worlds — (2007) Cheyenne Mountain Entertainment[56]
* Stranglehold — (2007) Midway Chicago[57]
* The Agency - (2008) Sony Online Entertainment
* The Last Remnant — (2008) Square Enix
* The Scourge Project — (N/A) Tragnarion Studios
* Tiberium — (TBA) Electronic Arts[58]
* TNA iMPACT! - (2008) Midway Games / Point of View
* To End All Wars — (2008) Kuju Entertainment [59] [60]
* Tom Clancy's EndWar — (2008) Ubisoft
* Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas - (2006) Ubisoft
* Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 - (2008) Ubisoft
* Turning Point: Fall of Liberty — (2008) Spark Unlimited
* Turok — (2008) Propaganda Games
* Undertow — (2007) Chair Entertainment
* Unreal Tournament 3 — (2007) Epic Games
* The Wheelman — (2008) Midway Games
* Warmonger - (2008) NetDevil
* project M (codename by NC Soft new MMORPG) - (2009) NC Soft
* project M (codename by Red Duck new MMORPG) - (2010) Red Duck
* MU2 (2010) - Webzen[citation needed]
* collaborated with People Can Fly on design of a new IP for Epic - Epic Games and People Can Fly

quite a list. and IIRC, each license costs $900,000/- (atleast it used to anyway)

SeriTonin
02-18-08, 01:39 PM
Unreal 3.0 engine just doesn't look anything like the preview pics A LOT of games showed us, not just Unreal Tournament 3.

As far as Microsoft buying epic, I have to agree with the guy that said, " who cares, epic is past their time".

It makes sense since epic has been in bed with microsoft for 2 years or so now, Gears on 360, an exclusive version of Unreal Tournament 3 just for 360, etc.

I would just be careful if I was microsoft, they're doing this no doubt, to make up for losing bungie and to shake up the pc gaming business somewhat and giving owners of vista a reason to feel justified by the purchase....I just don't see buying epic as fixing any problems, they sure as sh*t aren't bungie, or even half the company Bungie is.

Maybe at least now we won't have to endure anymore assinine remarks by cliffyb

MowTin
02-18-08, 02:24 PM
....I just don't see buying epic as fixing any problems, they sure as sh*t aren't bungie, or even half the company Bungie is.

Epic > Bungie

Halo series is only great when compared to other console FPS of that time. Compared to PC games of that time it was pretty average at best.

Halo 3's average graphics shows that Bungie is not ready for the next gen.

Epic's GoW is arguably one of the best games ever made. It had an unmatched combination of graphics + gameplay.

UT3 sucked. So, what? Everyone has flops.

I don't like UE3 in games like R6V but in Mass Effect it's awesome as you will see when it comes to PC. In GoW it's awesome. In Bioshock it's awesome. Halo 3 would have been much better on UE3 IMO.

And now UE3 games are porting very well to PC. UE3 games are no actually better on PC than they are on 360.

Bungie is more a hasbeen than Epic.

Epic may have dissed PC gaming but the UE3 is a great boon for PC gaming. Just look at Bioshock for example. Look at MOH: Airborne. Now we're getting Mass Effect in May. It's obvious that porting to PC has become much easier and better than ever.

mullet
02-18-08, 02:26 PM
I bet MS could keep CliffyB's mouth in check.

Burnt_Ram
02-18-08, 03:25 PM
as much as i dont care for UE3, i'm just glad EA didnt buy Epic. i seem to buy more EA games that Epic games.

EA pisses me off enough already, just imagine if EA started insisting that their devs use UE3? OMG ;) lol, i dont know if that would ever happen, but it popped in my head and scared me ... thought i'd share the scenario

nVJoe
02-18-08, 03:31 PM
http://www.videogamer.com/news/18-02-2008-7543.html

Hmmm(lee63)
Microsoft bought Epic Games but they told Epic to keep Unreal Tournament 3. The view it as a liability.

Burnt_Ram
02-18-08, 06:56 PM
Microsoft bought Epic Games but they told Epic to keep Unreal Tournament 3. The view it as a liability.
LOL, thx i just got some bad news and needed a laugh. probably not too far off though. the game does need a little work ;)

sytaylor
02-18-08, 07:23 PM
They bought some good franchise names, what they do with those could be interesting. I like seeing a company flash cash these days. Far too many seem to be debt ridden. One thing is for certain, microsoft look after their investors. If they took that much care of the customer they'd be laughing.

SeriTonin
02-18-08, 08:50 PM
Epic > Bungie

Halo series is only great when compared to other console FPS of that time. Compared to PC games of that time it was pretty average at best.

Halo 3's average graphics shows that Bungie is not ready for the next gen.

Epic's GoW is arguably one of the best games ever made. It had an unmatched combination of graphics + gameplay.

UT3 sucked. So, what? Everyone has flops.

I don't like UE3 in games like R6V but in Mass Effect it's awesome as you will see when it comes to PC. In GoW it's awesome. In Bioshock it's awesome. Halo 3 would have been much better on UE3 IMO.

And now UE3 games are porting very well to PC. UE3 games are no actually better on PC than they are on 360.

Bungie is more a hasbeen than Epic.

Epic may have dissed PC gaming but the UE3 is a great boon for PC gaming. Just look at Bioshock for example. Look at MOH: Airborne. Now we're getting Mass Effect in May. It's obvious that porting to PC has become much easier and better than ever.

Well, your opinion is yours and your entitled, but A LOT of people around here feel UE3 is a joke.

Bioshock's texture's are washed out and grainy, not enough people that license the engine use high res textures, they use a very low res texture and then load all that pixel shaded crap over it to give it a high detail appearance when you walk up ontop of it, but from afar, it looks very low detailed. This is a HUGE issue in UT3, also medal of honor airborne and stranglehold.

Gears of war does look nice, but you're talking about a game epic put all it's focus, time and energy in - it better have come out damn near perfect, as much as the hype machine generated about this game and as much as they bragged about their engine.

As far as UT3 sucking, you're right, everyone is entitled to a bomb, pure sh*t, miss of a game.

Epic's problem is they won't admit UT3's short-coming's and instead point the finger to piracy and pc gaming. (Ignoring the sluggish sales on console as well)

If you want to go down that route that they've only had one bad game, they've also only had ONE successful game on console too. Gears of War. So far, as far as consoles are concerned, they are a one hit wonder.

ClosetFanBoy
02-18-08, 11:13 PM
lol so Epics washed up?

You guys are silly.

crainger
02-19-08, 12:12 AM
Remember Jazz Jackrabbit and OMF:2097? THOSE were the days.

Wolfhound
02-19-08, 04:42 AM
Poblem I had with UE3 is that Epic said a lot of things that don΄t came to reality... DX10 support, SuperB AA... impressive textures..etc