PDA

View Full Version : How Is XFX

Mr Bigman
02-19-08, 12:12 AM
I got a hold of an 8800GTX for my media center pc and seems very fast but just that concern about the branding since i had an EVGA before which was an 8800GTS 640.

I like the reviews for the XFX Alpha Dog cards but how are they as a company and are they in the game like BFG and EVGA?

SLippe
02-19-08, 01:04 AM
I think eVGA, XFX and BFG are the top 3 companies, easily. Probably in that order, too.

Muppet
02-19-08, 02:15 AM
I have had 2x8800GTX's for over a year now. They are extremely stable, and I haven't had any issues. In fact I was so impressed, I bought an XFX 780i motherboard as well.

I think eVGA, XFX and BFG are the top 3 companies, easily. Probably in that order, too.
God SLippe, how is a man supposed to concentrate with your avatar. :captnkill:

SLippe
02-19-08, 02:20 AM
I have had 2x8800GTX's for over a year now. They are extremely stable, and I haven't had any issues. In fact I was so impressed, I bought an XFX 780i motherboard as well.

God SLippe, how is a man supposed to concentrate with your avatar. :captnkill:
I'm sorry. What?

Muppet
02-19-08, 02:35 AM
I'm sorry. What?
That's just how I feel. :)

nrdstrm
02-19-08, 02:43 AM

Yeah, I worked for one of those three in sales for 6 months. I would rate them in that exact order, but honestly, all of them are good. Now when you get down to the Galaxy or Palit, I don't think I would buy one of those. Just my 2 cents though...

Lfctony
02-19-08, 02:51 AM
God forbid, but if your card needs an RMA, trust me, your won't have fun with XFX. Their Pre-overclocked cards a lot of times don't work at advertised speeds, which shows terrible QA. They seek to blame problems to anything else but their cards, and they're generally not as willing to help as BFG would for example. Search the forums and the net for XFX support...

SLippe
02-19-08, 02:54 AM
God forbid, but if your card needs an RMA, trust me, your won't have fun with XFX. Their Pre-overclocked cards a lot of times don't work at advertised speeds, which shows terrible QA. They seek to blame problems to anything else but their cards, and they're generally not as willing to help as BFG would for example. Search the forums and the net for XFX support...
I can vouch for eVGA and BFG RMA. Both are great! Never had to deal with XFX though.

Lfctony
02-19-08, 02:55 AM
I can vouch for eVGA and BFG RMA. Both are great! Never had to deal with XFX though.

Well, that's the thing. I've only heard good things about eVGA and BFG. Not so much with XFX...

amk21
02-19-08, 02:57 AM
EVGA rma is flawless, nnever bought another brand

SLippe
02-19-08, 02:59 AM
Well, my first BFG RMA experience was just last week.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=108032

amk21
02-19-08, 03:13 AM
I have no real reason to buy another brand at this point, between the lifetime warrenty and the step up program, EVGA is the best partner that nvidia has.

SLippe
02-19-08, 03:21 AM
I have no real reason to buy another brand at this point, between the lifetime warrenty and the step up program, EVGA is the best partner that nvidia has.
Yeah, the Step-Up Program is a strong point for eVGA. XFX offering the Double Lifetime Warranty is their strong point. As for BFG, well, I don't know. But, like I said, I think all 3 are great companies. PNY probably could have been, but eh. I'd probably put MSI in 4th Place.

Blacklash
02-19-08, 03:30 AM
XFX is good to go with if you resell you cards when you get tired of them. You may transfer your lifetime warranty to your buyer, that builds value.

Both XFX and Evga officially support end user overclocking and HSF replacement. If there are other nVidia or ATi dealers that support those things I am unaware of them.

Evga has a "StepUp" program which allows you to trade your card in for better one within 90days if you change your mind or a better card is released. You pay the difference.

I've owned products from XFX and Evga and don't have anything bad to say of either.

A good place to jack into XFX support is the Bjorn3d forums.

Now the BFG card I had was fine, however when I contacted their tech support and asked a simple question in a polite manner I got back a rude reply that sounded like it was crafted by a 10year old kid with a chip on his shoulder. IMO corporations should be careful who they choose to represent them to the public.

XFX and Evga have got other nVidia dealers and all ATi dealers beat on product and support. Find me an ATi dealer that claims in writing they will replace a card you have overclocked that dies while under warranty. I have yet to locate one.

EDIT-

If you buy an XFX GT here's some interesting information from their support-

"Here is kind of a lay out of the versions of the 8800GT 512MB
PVT88P is how they all start

PVT88PYDD
PVT88pYDE
PVT88PYDF
Original design and have adjustable fan.

PVT88PYDQ
Different Fan but still adjustable

PVT88PYHD
PVT88PYHE
PVT88PYHF
PVT88PYHQ
These versions do not have adjustable fans, but cost less the the previous mentioned video cards."

The ones without adjustable fans may run @ 100% speed.

Digital_Trans
02-19-08, 07:25 AM
EVGA hands down is the best!

nekrosoft13
02-19-08, 07:28 AM
as long as you don't live in Europe, you will be fine with XFX, their European service is horrible, but its good in the States.

randsom
02-19-08, 07:43 AM
I have bought several xfx cards in the last 3 yrs.

Theyre customer service is great.

I had 2 xfx 7900gtxs and one of them died, this was about the time of the 8800 launch.

I rma'd the card, and they CALLED me to say, they didnt have any in stock, and they gave me several options, Wait, 7950(no thanx) or a upgrade to 8800gtx's with some extra cash.

I took the 8800gxs option, I figured it wass going to very expensive, and had my credit card warmed up, but they replaced my 7900gtx with the 8800 gtx for free, and basically traded my other 7900gtx and 100 bux for another 8800gtx, and cross shipped overnight for free.

A pretty good deal i would say, and great customer service. They have won me over.

walterman
02-19-08, 09:03 AM
If you live in Europe, avoid XFX.

You can read my story with XFX here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1429870&postcount=64

Basically, i had to send my 7900GTX XT, 2 times, and they offered me a 8600GT 'fatal1ty' in exchange, after 6 months without gfx card.

I lost the 600E that i spent on that card thanks to their abusive warranty.

Avoid them in Europe, in special the factory overclocked cards. They have no idea about how to test them for artifacts.

They said that my card was working fine cause it was running 3D Mark properly. But my card was showing artifacts after 15 mins of gaming on the same level with any game (memory corruption). And i had to send my card 2 times to the RMA due to this.

stncttr908
02-19-08, 10:11 AM
Just pondering it, it seems amazing how irrelevant BFG has become in a short period of time. They pioneered the whole premium, out of the box OC market, lifetime warranties, etc., and now eVGA, once the trash brand of the graphics world and XFX, a subsidiary of Pine (who weren't that well respected themselves, at all), seem to be taking over.

Medion
02-19-08, 11:03 AM
I generally avoid XFX. If they can get one over on you during an RMA, they will.

I won't discuss my bad experience with EVGA's RMA though. Last time I did, my post got deleted...