http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36824/Blue-Mars-Crysis-Meets-Second-Life

nekrosoft13
02-19-08, 02:22 PM
could someone post the article?

vandalous
02-19-08, 02:24 PM
could someone post the article?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Second Life'ish 'massively multiplayer virtual world' powered by Crysis' CryEngine 2:

Avatar Reality Inc., a new development entity dedicated to the advancement of online community building, today announced it will provide a sneak preview of its upcoming massively multiplayer virtual world (MMVW), Blue Mars, at the 2008 Game Developers Conference (GDC) in San Francisco, Booth 418 in the West Hall Career Pavilion.

Set in Terraformed Mars in the year 2177 AD, Blue Mars will feature stunning graphics, realistic characters and endless gaming attractions that will allow players to build and simulate real-life scenarios by creating personalized characters, or avatars. The MMVW will launch in a public beta version at the end of 2008.

At GDC, Avatar Reality will conduct an interactive tour of Blue Mars attractions which highlight breathtaking graphics through the utilization of CryTek’s game middleware CryENGINE 2. Additionally, they will preview their scripting game development environment which enables third party developers to easily build rich 3D casual games, and their proprietary Avatar Technology, which enables realistic character appearance and animation.

Avatar Reality’s vice president Li-Han Chen will host a sponsored session on Wed., Feb. 20 at 4 p.m. announcing the Blue Mars Third Party Development Program which gives game developers, CG artists and interested business partners an opportunity to create a variety of in-world attractions, 3D art assets and promotions for Blue Mars users. The session will take place in the West Hall, Room 2000.

SeriTonin
02-19-08, 02:39 PM
Never liked mmorpgs, never will....cqan't wait till they die out.

nVJoe
02-19-08, 03:07 PM
If you don't like them fine but why do you want them to die out? Seems to me a pretty dumb thing to say.

SeriTonin
02-19-08, 03:15 PM
If you don't like them fine but why do you want them to die out? Seems to me a pretty dumb thing to say.

Ok, not die out, more like, I can't wait for the hype train on them to die down, because I think they're overblown.

The idea of paying $60 for a game and then $20 each month to play it is hand's down the dumbest idea in the history of gaming.

More power to blizzard getting rich off such a scheme, but man, what a ridiculosus concept for the end-user.

Nitz Walsh
02-19-08, 03:17 PM
There are some (like me) who believe the crack-addict nature of MMORPG's negatively affects the PC game industry as the popular MMORPG's become time and money sinks, leaving nothing left for other genres.

Plus they dominate the media so much people get conditioned to believe that's the only type of games PC's are good at, when in fact a PC well under $1000 these days can play many console ports far better than the originals.

XDanger
02-19-08, 05:22 PM
Another Cryengine2 based second life game???
http://www.entropiauniverse.com/index.var
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entropia_Universe

ViN86
02-19-08, 05:25 PM
raise your hand if you like 20 FPS.

SeriTonin
02-19-08, 05:38 PM
raise your hand if you like 20 FPS.

:super:

nVJoe
02-19-08, 05:42 PM
Ok, not die out, more like, I can't wait for the hype train on them to die down, because I think they're overblown.

The idea of paying $60 for a game and then $20 each month to play it is hand's down the dumbest idea in the history of gaming.

More power to blizzard getting rich off such a scheme, but man, what a ridiculosus concept for the end-user.
My question is why? For example, I don't like RTS games much but I don't care if they are popular or not popular.

For me it is sane to say "I don't like MMORPGs" and end the statement there. When you had a dislike for something that you do not have to engage in as a hobby seems disturbing to me but all to common for gamers.

There are some (like me) who believe the crack-addict nature of MMORPG's negatively affects the PC game industry as the popular MMORPG's become time and money sinks, leaving nothing left for other genres.
If there is a market for a genre then it will be filled. The idea that one genre is more popular than one and worry about it is wierd.

Plus they dominate the media so much people get conditioned to believe that's the only type of games PC's are good at, when in fact a PC well under $1000 these days can play many console ports far better than the originals.
Again, who cares? Play the game you like.

Seriously, what is wrong with gamers. The more I get to know about gamers the more I think they have a mental problem.

KasuCode
02-19-08, 07:15 PM

MORPGS promote for other PC games. I have about 20 people I know that because of WOW became PC gamers. Now only 2 still play wow and the rest play RTS and FPS.

If PC gaming ever dies the big thing that will keep it alive is MORPGS.

I know its hard to believe but think about it a bit.

WOW is a PC seller more then any other game.

Stoneyguy
02-19-08, 07:45 PM

I don't think it's such a dumb thing to say. Imagine all the resources that Blizzard is using keeping it's cash cow going. That would all be freed up if WOW went belly up.

KasuCode
02-19-08, 08:02 PM
I don't think it's such a dumb thing to say. Imagine all the resources that Blizzard is using keeping it's cash cow going. That would all be freed up if WOW went belly up.

Because they have a cash cow they are able to work on other games and expand.

You do know that bilz recently said ghost was never canceled and that its still on the to do list. They have about 80 people working on 2-3 games other then wow because of wow.

nVJoe
02-19-08, 08:07 PM
The market is not a zero sum gain. LMOA! It grows because companies need to show a profit to the shareholders. What you said is even more silly than what that other guy said. Read Morethan's post.

Come on guys, think!

Stoneyguy
02-19-08, 11:15 PM
My point is that I would imagine that Blizzard is putting it's "A" talent on WOW. That leaves it's other franchises in the hands of second tier talent.

glObalist
02-20-08, 01:16 AM
My point is that I would imagine that Blizzard is putting it's "A" talent on WOW. That leaves it's other franchises in the hands of second tier talent.

Yea, WoW is an A-class game. It's quite polished, I think you should give it a try. :captnkill:

Now seriously, WTF is it to you what talent they put into WoW as opposed to their other franchises? Even if it were true their other franchises are B-class (which it isn't), then you'd have no right to demand from them to cater to YOUR personal preference in gaming.

Stoneyguy
02-20-08, 01:29 AM
I'm not demanding anything. I'm not even asking for anything. I have no desire to see MMOs sink. I don't play WoW, but I have no issue with it or Blizzard having it's top guys working on it.

All I'm saying is that Blizzard's other franchises like StarCraft and Diablo would probably be getting alot more attention right now if WOW wasn't around.

glObalist
02-20-08, 02:25 AM
I'm not demanding anything. I'm not even asking for anything. I have no desire to see MMOs sink. I don't play WoW, but I have no issue with it or Blizzard having it's top guys working on it.

All I'm saying is that Blizzard's other franchises like StarCraft and Diablo would probably be getting alot more attention right now if WOW wasn't around.

Like World of Starcraft? :D

Thingding
02-20-08, 03:24 AM
Hang on we're all getting confused here. This isn't an MMORPG according to the devs... it's an MMVW!

What's the difference? No roleplaying, I guess. You have to be yourself.

Stoneyguy
02-20-08, 11:38 AM
Hang on we're all getting confused here. This isn't an MMORPG according to the devs... it's an MMVW!

What's the difference? No roleplaying, I guess. You have to be yourself.

be yourself? Yeah just like that phone sex operator you called last night really is as hot as she says she was. :inform:

:D

nekrosoft13
02-20-08, 11:45 AM
MMVW is something like virtual second life.

you hang out with "friends" go shopping, get married, and more BS like that.

FastRedPonyCar
02-20-08, 01:15 PM

I coudn't agree with you more. Giving the game out for free download and THEN charging for a montly fee, yeah maybe as long as there is new content being added but blizzard should have at lest given a few months of service free if people bought the game.

But... if i wanted to make money and people were willing to pay for the game and then service, hell, I'd be doing the same thing.

I just don't have 4~5 hours a day to dedicate to the game that could justify $20 of my money.

Destroy
02-20-08, 01:25 PM
So yeah, Blue Mars will be a waste if its MP only.