PDA

View Full Version : Why We Are Here

Mr Bigman
02-19-08, 02:32 PM
I would have to say we got this far in games and hardwares simply cuz of folks like ID who made the first FPS.

FPS=First Person Shooter
FPS=Frames Per Second.

We have to admit it was the first person shooter or shooter games period that helped progress hardware from folks like 3DFX and even ATI to Nvidia.

It wasn't games like RTS's or RPG that helped but simply FPS's.

Im sorry but Dungans and Dragons or even Diablo or Starcraft that brought out hardware acceration but games like Quake and Crysis that makes a 3d gaming system.

So if it wasn't for the FPS, we wouldn't really need 3d powered gaming devices cuz games like Diablo and warcraft didn't use this power used by games like Half Life and Quake.

HiCZoK4
02-19-08, 02:39 PM
Turok was first game to fully use 3dfx .It had aa and bilinear textures ftw. !!!
I remember back in 96\97 when I purchased 3dfx voodo with 4mb or ram :D I ruled the world. Every game maxed 800x600 on my beautiful 15 inch crt...sweet memories. My friends hated me back then :P (they had ONLY poor s3 savage mostly)
there was also tomb raider 2 which used 3dfx greatly.

those were other times . Test drive4 ,nfs3 ,jedi knight2 were top games with best graphics. and offcourse quake but this was too early for 3dfx. (quake 2 helped)

AND BEST OF THE BEST HARDWARE PUSHING GAME EVER MADE -----UNREAL----- ......waterfall....ahhh.

sorry guys I got slept ... good I still have my unreal cd somewhere :D

Thingding
02-19-08, 02:41 PM
Wow random thread. Sounds almost gospel.

No trolling here. I agree, Mr Bigman, for the FPS is the best genre of them all. The one that pushes the boundaries. The one that spawned the graphics wh**e.

Example: I just started playing C&C3 at 60fps+ but I hate my stupid rig. Why? Cos I can't run Cryengine or UE3 decently with anti-alias.

Now I have to spend all my money on making it better.

Stupid underpowered nvidia :(

SlieTheSecond
02-19-08, 02:45 PM
You are making me want to break out my unreal cd too :)

Duke 3D is still my all time favorite.

I find games these days don't interest me as much. Not like they use to. I usually get bored of the game before I finish it.

iron99
02-19-08, 03:00 PM
Duke 3D was the game that made me buy my first PC. It was unreal that caused me to buy my second..........and then explore TEC's and water cooling!

Then came NOLF1, Farcry, Stalker.......

Now I'm all about racing sims ( GPL, rFactor, GTL, GTR2 ) and Silent hunter 3 ( Gray Wolves Mod ) and 4 ( Too many Mods to list ) though :).

PC gaming is all there is for me do to the Mod'ing communities.

G

PS - Wow, in a couple more years I'll be up to a 100 posts! :)

Mr Bigman
02-19-08, 03:04 PM
Oh yea, Turak was a dman good game.

I got it with my 3dfx voodoo bundled.

Yea FPS spawned the whole lets use 3d hardware and shader effects in games.

Unreal was really the first to push the envelope so to speak with 3d.

Turak ran very well on my 133/voodoo rush back in 96.

We wouldn't have 8800GTX's if it weren't games like Unreal, Quake and even Turak DH.

I hope the new Turak is the bomb be cuz i m geting it.

SeriTonin
02-19-08, 03:09 PM
I find games these days don't interest me as much. Not like they use to. I usually get bored of the game before I finish it.

I have this problem too. Lack of originality in the industry.

jcrox
02-19-08, 05:40 PM
I have this problem too. Lack of originality in the industry.

Or worse, unoriginal but playable for the 1st half of the game and then instead of getting better or more intense the game just turns to crap for the last 1/2 of it.

SeriTonin
02-19-08, 06:12 PM
Or worse, unoriginal but playable for the 1st half of the game and then instead of getting better or more intense the game just turns to crap for the last 1/2 of it.

Stop bringing up Crysis. j/k :D

crainger
02-19-08, 06:17 PM
::lol::

MowTin
02-20-08, 12:21 AM
The first 3D games I played on PC were games like Vette! and some F-16 flight sim. The mountains all looked like pyramids and I was playing with keyboard. The frame rates were like 5 fps.

That's the first time I had the urge to upgrade :D

I remember wishing I could upgrade my crappy CGA graphics card to a fancy EGA card.

mullet
02-20-08, 12:41 AM
Tie Fighter and Quake 2 totally consumed me. I would love to see Tie Fighter come back. The deal is that when real 3D gaming started is was all new and everyone was stoked about it, now we are just rehashing the same ole stuff. I think TF2 got me excited again about gaming, its funny as hell and you don't have to play so serious like I did with COD2.

bob saget
02-20-08, 01:15 AM
FPS and occasional racing games is all i play.
I cant stand guilds, quests, ****ing dwarfs, mounts, mana, or anything else associated with non-fps games.

:p

Thingding
02-20-08, 02:26 AM

Hence why games should be shorter and we should have twice as many!

bob saget
02-20-08, 02:33 AM
Hence why games should be shorter and we should have twice as many!
well they are getting shorter :bleh:"
*points at episodes 1 + 2*

SLippe
02-20-08, 03:41 AM
PNY Voodoo3 3000 16MB AGP FTmfW!!!:

That was my first video card. Bought it at Best Buy for about $128.00. Thought I'd sh*t myself spending that much, if I only knew! ;) I had to buy something, because the 8MB Onboard Graphics on my HP Pavilion wouldn't run Rainbow Six. :rofl

Post # 12,012

LordJuanlo
02-20-08, 03:56 AM
The first game with 3D acceleration as we know it today was the Rendition Verite port of Quake, but that card was a failure. When the 3Dfx Voodoo arrived (I got one at launch time, and it was really difficult in Spain) I got Tomb Raider and GLQuake. For me those games are the first trully 3D accelerated.

stncttr908
02-20-08, 08:16 AM
The only reason FPS "pushes so many boundaries" is because its original boundaries are so constrictive it has no choice but to try and experiment when the same old formula becomes too trite for the gamer.

Anyone else think of Independence Day when reading the thread title? :D

Wah we ah here on this patikulah day, we may nevah kno. But ah doo kno the bleck knaghts will emerge victorious!

Destroy
02-20-08, 08:30 AM
The first game with 3D acceleration as we know it today was the Rendition Verite port of Quake,

This is correct, not Turok.

Regardless, I agree FPS do seem to be what drives gaming advances. But it seems to of come to such a crawl in advances.

Yeah Crysis is outstanding but it is still a very limited game in so many ways.
Environment interaction is the next huge hurdle they need to over come but even then I think we're reaching a near end to FPS advancements.

Someone needs to come up with SOMETHING to make a huge leap in FPS game funness.

rudedog
02-20-08, 08:43 AM
I think fully destructible environments would be the next big FPS thing.

I should be able to drive a tank through a wooden fence, or the side of a building.

When I drop a bomb it should leave a creator, where said tank could not pass.

Now that I think of it, I think real world physics is the next "frontier" where I can deform a lake or blow up a damn and have it flood realistically.

Here's to the next 20+ years of FPS gaming on a PC FTW :beer:

Thingding
02-20-08, 09:20 AM
It's a hard genre to innovate in any more.

I mean, your player can already run, jump, lean, crouch, swim, sidestep and look in all directions. There's not much more you can do there.

And a gun is a gun. At the end of the day that can't really go anywhere new without getting bizarre. eg gravity gun, portal gun.

If we dare to say gfx are going to have less of an impact now they've reached such a high standard then where can we go from here?

More innovative story telling? yeah great but then that normally means less freedom. And stories may never come better than the likes of SS2.

Support for more players? No doubt we'll see co-op coming back but thanks to modders we get that in major games now anyway.

More physics? makes it impossible to tell a story when there's freedom to destroy anything in the game, so I doubt we'll see this in anything bar battlefield games, which are basically sandboxes anyway.

Fluid physics? Well yeah we'll see some of this eventually but it can't change the genre all that much.

That only leaves improved ai and the evil beast of total freedom, which inevitably means more games set on islands or in spaceships, and with thin storylines.

Otherwise this is basically it! :o

But then again the rts genre, flight sims and sports are basically stagnating as well. Only MMORPGs seem to cover new ground!

Try4Ce
02-20-08, 05:17 PM
Commander Keen, Raptor 1.0 and some other Apogee Games (lee)

methimpikehoses
02-20-08, 05:21 PM
I think the FPS still has a lot of potential... there can always be better stories, more plot/choice, better graphics, more vehicles, more/less realism, larger worlds, smarter AI, more customizations... on and on.