PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a PS3!! (yeah I know :p)

|JuiceZ|
02-19-08, 10:15 PM
Yes, another "just bought...." thread but hey I couldn't resist :D My wife finally let me pick up the 40GB model (Spiderman3 bundle) from Best Buy earlier this month and we're really actually enjoying it, more me than her of course, heh. Anyways, we primarily use it to watch Blu-ray movies but I've been trying a little to get back into console gaming since not havening owned one since the N64. Its nice owning both a pc and console since you get to enjoy "some" of the best from both platforms. One problem though is that I still can't get used to playing fps with a dang game controller, it just ain't happening. 20+ yrs of kb/mouse pc gaming won't be undone. PCs own for FPS, Mmorpg & RTS in my book but I do enjoy playing sports, fighting and racing games on it though. Yesterday I started trying to find either a 60gb or 80gb model, preferably the 60gb, for PS2 BC so we can take this one back. Really miss playing some older games like the older MK (2D version) and some others that were released on the PS2 years ago. O and the controller isn't my favorite, its feels too light and too small.

Anyway, just wanted to post some of my initial random thoughts about the system. I know I'm late to the game but its all good :cool:

|MaguS|
02-19-08, 10:30 PM
All PS3's can play PS1 games so if you want 2D MK games then your set since MK3 and MK Trilogy released for the PS1. You can also download the arcade perfect port of MK2 from the PSN Store.

Sazar
02-19-08, 10:47 PM
Congrats.

Now join the folding team and help out :D

Stoneyguy
02-19-08, 11:25 PM
MK2 FTW!!

|JuiceZ|
02-19-08, 11:48 PM
All PS3's can play PS1 games so if you want 2D MK games then your set since MK3 and MK Trilogy released for the PS1. You can also download the arcade perfect port of MK2 from the PSN Store.

Haven't downloaded much through PSN since its so slow, been using PS3 Proxy to download 'em through my pc. Just bought them, thanks man :)

Is anyone dual booting with Linux? I'm waiting for YDL6 to be released for free next month to give it a try. My wife wants to be able to watch Netflix movies.

Congrats.

Now join the folding team and help out :D

Heh, gotta stop using PS3 proxy first :D

crainger
02-19-08, 11:56 PM
Oh another person to send annoying fap massages too! ::D:

S.I.N
02-19-08, 11:56 PM
Congrats but you really should have waited a month or so being that there will most definitely be a replacement for the 80GB around GTAIV release date.

MowTin
02-20-08, 01:31 AM
Welcome to the club!

The PS3 controller is very accurate. You get used to it. In single player games you just don't need the super speed you get with the m&k.

But it's true that real FIRST person games always feel awkward.

But third person games feel perfect.

Be sure to get Resistance. I only rented and I was blown away by the great action gameplay it offers. Graphics aren't great but art work is top notch.

Oh, and the PS3's blu-ray makes it easier to convince wives that it's something you need to buy for the home :)

BioHazZarD
02-20-08, 05:37 AM
Good you did the right thing.

stncttr908
02-20-08, 09:23 AM
Waiting for a slim 45nm version is getting tougher.

sytaylor
02-20-08, 09:41 AM
Waiting at all is tough, but I just love technology toys and would never use it.

nrdstrm
02-20-08, 03:41 PM
Yes, another "just bought...." thread but hey I couldn't resist :D My wife finally let me pick up the 40GB model (Spiderman3 bundle) from Best Buy earlier this month and we're really actually enjoying it, more me than her of course, heh. Anyways, we primarily use it to watch Blu-ray movies but I've been trying a little to get back into console gaming since not havening owned one since the N64. Its nice owning both a pc and console since you get to enjoy "some" of the best from both platforms. One problem though is that I still can't get used to playing fps with a dang game controller, it just ain't happening. 20+ yrs of kb/mouse pc gaming won't be undone. PCs own for FPS, Mmorpg & RTS in my book but I do enjoy playing sports, fighting and racing games on it though. Yesterday I started trying to find either a 60gb or 80gb model, preferably the 60gb, for PS2 BC so we can take this one back. Really miss playing some older games like the older MK (2D version) and some others that were released on the PS2 years ago. O and the controller isn't my favorite, its feels too light and too small.

Anyway, just wanted to post some of my initial random thoughts about the system. I know I'm late to the game but its all good :cool:

Hopefully more games will start supporting USB Keyboards / Mice. Currently UT3 is the only game that supports keyboard / mouse (USB). The game even has keymapping. Here is a video of how to set it up, but you probably wouldn't need any instructions...

**MAY BE NSFW** For minimal use of curse words (2 or 3 times I think)...
http://ps3mods.blogspot.com/2008/01/use-keyboard-and-mouse-for-ut3-on-ps3.html

|JuiceZ|
03-14-08, 05:49 PM
I scored a 60GB PS3 this week!!!

I was all content with my 40gb until I ran across the following bundle posted from a local guy on Craigslist and couldn't resist:

PS3 60GB
2 Sixaxis Controllers
Call of Duty 4
Burnout Paradise
Motorstorm
Warhawk
NBA 2K8
HDMI cable

I got all that for $550 on Wed. The system is in perfect condition. Took the 40gb PS3 back to Circuit City yesterday. Good times :)

1337_Like_ThaT
03-14-08, 07:14 PM
Nice, congrats on the excellent deal there man :) I'll add you to my PSN buddy list soon

BTW, I'm surprised circuit city let you take back the system for full refund? I thought games and hardware had a no return policy unless sealed...Either way, enjoy!

|JuiceZ|
03-14-08, 08:39 PM
Nice, congrats on the excellent deal there man :) I'll add you to my PSN buddy list soon

BTW, I'm surprised circuit city let you take back the system for full refund? I thought games and hardware had a no return policy unless sealed...Either way, enjoy!

Thanks man, just sent a bunch of friend requests out to the guys here.

I told CC that I didn't "know" the 40GB wasn't bc and he returned it with no prob and even apologized for it, heh :D

SeriTonin
03-15-08, 02:32 AM
Congrats, too bad sony has **** for exclusives..

Marvel_us
03-15-08, 02:35 AM
Thanks man, just sent a bunch of friend requests out to the guys here.

I told CC that I didn't "know" the 40GB wasn't bc and he returned it with no prob and even apologized for it, heh :D

Congrats on nabbing a 60gb. The bc capabilities are the best on that unit compared to everything out now.

Feel free to shoot a friend request over here.

SH64
03-15-08, 03:29 AM
You should try Uncharted! (if you haven't already).

Mrs JuiceZ
03-15-08, 11:11 AM
This is JuiceZ, just using my wife's laptop. Uncharted is sweet, just have the demo right now. Marvel I sent you a friend request yesterday.

t6_shadow
03-15-08, 07:25 PM
I sincerely hope you were kidding about your wife "letting" you buy it. Other than that congrats its a nice system. I agree with you about uncharted its a top notch game.

Imbroglio
03-15-08, 07:32 PM
I sincerely hope you were kidding about your wife "letting" you buy it.

i take it you either aren't married or live in the south.

Mr_LoL
03-15-08, 09:08 PM
Congrats, too bad sony has **** for exclusives..
*Yawn*

LORD-eX-Bu
03-15-08, 10:58 PM
i take it you either aren't married or live in the south.

:lol:

congrats JuiceZ :D

|JuiceZ|
03-16-08, 07:14 PM
I sincerely hope you were kidding about your wife "letting" you buy it.

No I wasn't. My wife and I do all our finances together. We both have to agree on large purchases over a certain amount before they're made and there's nothing wrong with that.