PDA

View Full Version : Unreal Tournament 3 finally has motion blur!

Pages : [1] 2 3

3DBrad
02-20-08, 02:05 PM
Now it looks SO MUCH BETTER! :captnkill:

http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=602815
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg239/techrelated/moblur3.jpg

HiCZoK4
02-20-08, 02:07 PM
YEEEEEEEEEEEES

3DBrad
02-20-08, 02:12 PM
It's pure awesomeness now. :D

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 02:49 PM
How does adding motion blur improve the game?

HiCZoK4
02-20-08, 02:52 PM
that is obvious .Game just feel alot smoother with motion blur and It is much more movie atmosphere. But mainly smoother gameplay.
Offcourse there are SUPER PLAYERS who hate motion blur becouse they cant see their enemy etc.

Myself - I like motion blur :captnkill:

Eliminator
02-20-08, 02:59 PM
my eyes feel like theyre about to explode when looking at that picture

SeriTonin
02-20-08, 03:02 PM

The blurring hides the horribly low res textures.

I'm actually happy this has been done. Again, leave it to the mod community to save something the developer was too lazy to incorporate.

Good job modder! :D

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 03:21 PM
I love the phrase lazy developers. Because you know they don't spend years developing the engine and game... nah they hype it for 3 years and only spend a month doing it.

six_storm
02-20-08, 03:26 PM
I've turned off blurring in all games that include it. Gets old after a while.

jeffmd
02-20-08, 04:13 PM
I..thought ut3 had motion blur to begin with. it was a rather smooth subtle effect and I didn't even look into turning it off because of that.

3DBrad
02-20-08, 05:13 PM
I..thought ut3 had motion blur to begin with. it was a rather smooth subtle effect and I didn't even look into turning it off because of that.

UnrealEd has it if you make a level without any UT3 game prefix (i.e.-no DM-<mapname, or vCTF-, etc.).

For whatever reason, the PS3 version has it, but the PC version didn't, and you couldn't enable it via the config file (even though there was an option) until now. :)

SeriTonin
02-20-08, 05:14 PM
I love the phrase lazy developers. Because you know they don't spend years developing the engine and game... nah they hype it for 3 years and only spend a month doing it.

In this case, it is lazy developing, they hyped the game for 3 years as you stated, and it is missing huge portions of the ue3 engine that they boasted about back when all those rigged trailers were around. Their efforts were and are directed toward the gears of war series, which has motion blur out of the box, if not lazy development, then just downright inexperienced. Probably handed this game to the 4 new guys @ epic and said " here, our focuses are on console now, do what you can here"

3DBrad
02-20-08, 05:15 PM
PS3 UT3 has motion blur, PC version didn't. Epic apparently disabled it for a reason.

NarcissistZero
02-20-08, 09:03 PM
The PS3 has little AA, so the blur would be to hide jaggies I would think. They just did this with Devil May Cry 4 on PS3.

I don't really like blur.

3DBrad
02-20-08, 09:11 PM
Motion blur is not to hide aliasing, otherwise Toy Story and all the other Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. movies wouldn't use motion blur. :p

NarcissistZero
02-20-08, 09:33 PM
Motion blur is not to hide aliasing, otherwise Toy Story and all the other Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. movies wouldn't use motion blur. :p

Well it was said specifically that it was on PS3, at least for DMC4. It's a common console technique.

malachi1313
02-20-08, 09:37 PM
I think the 2 most worthless features added to games lately are motion blur and depth of field. First thing I turn off in every game that has it.

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 09:40 PM
Well it was said specifically that it was on PS3, at least for DMC4. It's a common console technique.

No, No it's not. Considering that Motion Blur only takes place when the camera is moving it really isn't a good way of hiding jaggies when its not a fast scene.

ClosetFanBoy
02-20-08, 09:42 PM
I think the 2 most worthless features added to games lately are motion blur and depth of field. First thing I turn off in every game that has it.

It is good for disguising poor frames tho!

Not a big fan either. I do like the dof tho.

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 09:44 PM
DOF is best in slower paces games aswell as cutscenes, motion blur is good when done properly. Like in racing games and fast paced games.

NarcissistZero
02-20-08, 09:52 PM
No, No it's not. Considering that Motion Blur only takes place when the camera is moving it really isn't a good way of hiding jaggies when its not a fast scene.

I just know what I read man, the 360 version of DMC4 has more AA and no blur, the PS3 version has less AA and blur... the devs explained why. Jaggies are less noticeable when standing still I guess...? Dunno.

Digital_Trans
02-20-08, 09:54 PM
Did I do this correctly when adding the modded files to the UTGAME directory?

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8103/masklq7.jpg

sMull
02-20-08, 10:07 PM
Always disable it in games. Can't see jack with it.

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 10:07 PM
I just know what I read man, the 360 version of DMC4 has more AA and no blur, the PS3 version has less AA and blur... the devs explained why. Jaggies are less noticeable when standing still I guess...? Dunno.

Where did you read this?

IGNs Head2Head
Some hardcore videophiles will notice that the PS3 version of the game has a slightly crisper over-all look ...... but something in the way the PS3 renders an image on screen appears marginally sharper than the 360.

Heres some comparisons...
http://www.gamealmighty.com/story-individual/story/Which_Version_of_this_Devil_Sheds_the_Least_Tears/

And before you jump to the images right away, don't forget to read this part...

There is a slight difficulty in gaining shots from the PS3 because of the different motion effects that it uses which causes a slight blur on the stills, so any details lost on in-game stills can be chalked up to that.

http://d.hatena.ne.jp/yoda-dip-jp/20080124

be aware that some of the PS3 version is blurry in a few pics due to the difficulty of capturing at 60 frames per second on the PS3.

3DBrad
02-20-08, 10:27 PM
Did I do this correctly when adding the modded files to the UTGAME directory?

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/8103/masklq7.jpg

It goes in the config folder, and make sure the motion blur option is set to true in the UTengine file (it doesn't change anything unless you use this mutator).
:)