PDA

View Full Version : New UE3 Enhancements!

Pages : [1] 2

jAkUp
02-20-08, 09:11 PM
http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/22399/Xbox-360/Gears-of-War-2

sharvin
02-20-08, 09:13 PM
Nice! hundreds of creatures running around using farking technology :P will they update ut3 with the new engine?

KasuCode
02-20-08, 09:25 PM
thats some really cool stuff.

|MaguS|
02-20-08, 09:31 PM
Nice! hunders of creatures running around using farking technolgy :P will they update ut3 with the new engine?

Probably since its their Tech Demo for their engine, Any other none Epic UE3 game will probably not see an update since developers have to purchase the update for the engine.

This is what bothers me about Epic as an Engine Developer, They sell the Engine but you get only the version that you pay for, any future updates are extra. Ubisoft got screwed by this with Raven Shield.

Buenamos
02-20-08, 09:33 PM
I've noticed that there are lot of people around here that aren't fans of UE 3. I dunno, I think that this year was one of the best years of gaming I can remember and I think thats partly due to sooo many titles being able to use the engine and get great results. While I can definitely agree with a few people as far as some games looking the same as others, that's mainly the developers fault.

Destroy
02-20-08, 09:35 PM
Where are the friggin' high res texture enhancements!!!???

spaceigg
02-20-08, 09:37 PM
cool, specially the destructible part.

AthlonXP1800
02-20-08, 09:39 PM
Wow very nice enhancements. :)

ClosetFanBoy
02-20-08, 09:42 PM
They had this planned all along! Epic is evil, god I love them... :p

Those are some pretty neat features. Cube of meat! Is there any way I can change my name to that?

AngelGraves13
02-20-08, 09:55 PM
Damn, that's impressive. I wonder if Bioshock 2 will be using this engine.

NarcissistZero
02-20-08, 09:58 PM
I've noticed that there are lot of people around here that aren't fans of UE 3. I dunno, I think that this year was one of the best years of gaming I can remember and I think thats partly due to sooo many titles being able to use the engine and get great results. While I can definitely agree with a few people as far as some games looking the same as others, that's mainly the developers fault.

^ This.

Section-9
02-21-08, 12:47 AM
Were are the friggin' high res texture enhancements!!!???

:captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill:

Destroy
02-21-08, 12:51 AM
:captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill: :captnkill:

Ermm..typo. Where.

Its a 360 engine so anything resembling a sharp texture will never exist in this engine.

Die. Die. Die you bastard of a game engine.

mullet
02-21-08, 01:03 AM
I am sure that all the console owners will love the enhancements. This reminds me of the kickass UT3 screen shots that never happened. :thumbdwn:

|MaguS|
02-21-08, 01:06 AM
I am sure that all the console owners will love the enhancements. This reminds me of the kickass UT3 screen shots that never happened. :thumbdwn:
Oh yes we will! :headexplode:

mullet
02-21-08, 01:10 AM
LOL I watched again, why is sweeny hyper ventilating.

nutcrackr
02-21-08, 01:32 AM
That meat chunk and water ball thing was pretty sweet.

nrdstrm
02-21-08, 01:43 AM
LOL I watched again, why is sweeny hyper ventilating.

He's always like that. At least the few times Jakup and I interviewed him at E3. Even before he was on camera, he talked just the same as what you saw there. Really nice guy though...

mullet
02-21-08, 01:45 AM
He's always like that. At least the few times Jakup and I interviewed him at E3. Even before he was on camera, he talked just the same as what you saw there. Really nice guy though...

I have more respect for Tim than anyone else at Epic.

jeffmd
02-21-08, 04:48 AM
I dont think you CANT have high textures with the UT3 engine..its just up to the creators what resolutions to use. Anyone using the ut3 editor able to fill us in on texture import restrictions?

Destroy
02-21-08, 09:35 AM
I dont think you CANT have high textures with the UT3 engine..its just up to the creators what resolutions to use. Anyone using the ut3 editor able to fill us in on texture import restrictions?

High res textures must REALLY slow down the game engine or something. That may explain most games looks. Or maybe its a texture streaming issue from DVD to 360??

SeriTonin
02-21-08, 09:58 AM
Tim Sweeny does seem to be the only guy @ epic with a brain.

As for the low res textures, on 360, I'm guessing it's due to the 512mb system memory which limits consoles. I believe ps3 only has 256mb system memory which is why ut3 looks as bad as it does. (and why its such a shame they ported those textures to pc)

The engine itself can support 2048x2048 textures, but it seems most developers have gotten used to using a 1024x1024 texture and then loading shaders ontop of it to make it more detailed up close. It's ashame, because from far away, you can't notice those details and it just looks like a texture from half-life 2.

A great example is Unreal Tournament 3. If you walk right up to a texture, it's extremely detailed and it doesn't get washed out or blurry, but when you walk a good distance from it, it looks exactly like a texture from ut2k4, and for the most part, it is, with shading ontop of it. Which is why the game looks like crap altogether.

|MaguS|
02-21-08, 10:02 AM
:rolleyes:

Madpistol
02-21-08, 10:21 AM
Those are some really nice enhancements. It's definitely a reminder of what UT3 was supposed to be like. It's good to see Epic finally using their resources.

JigenD
02-21-08, 10:24 AM
Tim Sweeny does seem to be the only guy @ epic with a brain.

As for the low res textures, on 360, I'm guessing it's due to the 512mb system memory which limits consoles. I believe ps3 only has 256mb system memory which is why ut3 looks as bad as it does. (and why its such a shame they ported those textures to pc)

The engine itself can support 2048x2048 textures, but it seems most developers have gotten used to using a 1024x1024 texture and then loading shaders ontop of it to make it more detailed up close. It's ashame, because from far away, you can't notice those details and it just looks like a texture from half-life 2.

A great example is Unreal Tournament 3. If you walk right up to a texture, it's extremely detailed and it doesn't get washed out or blurry, but when you walk a good distance from it, it looks exactly like a texture from ut2k4, and for the most part, it is, with shading ontop of it. Which is why the game looks like crap altogether.

Tim Sweeney is the tech guy, like Carmack at id, he has some assistants but he basically is the main actual coder guy.

Texture resolution isn't going to be limited by the engine. PS3 has 512MB total memory, but it's split, unlike 360 where it's 512MB whole (plus caches and stuff like the high speed framebuffer). The reason PC games haven't really gone above these is more the issues with the current state of PC gaming than any limitations of games. The engine is not limited to 2048x textures at all, that's just what they typically use.

You also have to realize, with your comparison to HL2, that these days most games use extensive normal mapping, which is going to take up a good deal more space, some games compress the normal maps / use lower than full resolution ones, and other techniques but it still is gonna use up more space.

The reason textures look good up close in UE3 is because of detail mapping, which has been around since Unreal Tournament 99. It's a simple overlay to make textures look 'high res' up close. Sometimes its done with normal maps. It's funny because it was used a lot in like 99 and 2000, but then not much at all until ~2005.