PDA

View Full Version : Vista SP1 Update Kills Computers, Microsoft Responds

Airbrushkid
02-20-08, 11:02 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+SP1+Update+Process+Kills+Some+PCs+Microsoft+ Responds/article10781.htm

Wolfhound
02-21-08, 03:37 AM
"Kills" PCs is not really true, it more likely that "Kills" Vista installtion

During the Vista SP1 installation process, some unfortunate users report their computer gets stuck on the third step -- the Windows Update step. Their installation process read, "Configuring updates: stage 3 of 3 - 0% complete" according to one user, and then the system reboots. After rebooting the installation process resumes -- then the computer reboots again. The computer becomes frozen in an unbootable loop. Numerous users on the Microsoft forums have reported having the same problem. Other users have reported that their computer simply would not boot properly.

Exactly how widespread the problem is at the time is unknown. Microsoft is trying to look into what is causing this unrecoverable crash. In the meantime they have pulled the prerequisite update.

For afflicted users, who already received the update, the only solution is to reboot their computers, boot from their original Vista disk and do a system restore to restore their computer to a state several days prior. Users may have to choose multiple restore points to find a working one, if any work at all. Some users report finding working restore points after several tries. However, users must then turn off Windows automatic update or the problem may recommence.

Some users have reported hardware and hard disk problems after restoration.

Many mistakenly labeled the problem as an issue caused directly by Vista SP1. While SP1 did inadvertently trigger the problem, it was the prerequisite update for Vista SP1 that raised havoc on users' machines. Microsoft has responded quickly, acknowledging this problem, and hopes to fix the update.

TUNKYTOY
02-21-08, 08:57 AM
I understand that Microsoft have admitted a problem with KB937287 and KB938371 when installing multiple updates and are in the process of pulling and changing the patches.
KB937287 MUSt be installed alone seperately first (usually no reboot required) then install KB938371, and subsequently other updates. The best procedure is to download standalones and install separately from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5639710d-dfbf-4527-806e-9a1634d0cc8e&DisplayLang=en

This oversight has caused frustrations and lot of problems on many machines

Mr Bigman
02-21-08, 02:12 PM
Knock on wood here things went well, but with this kind of attention given. Vista isn't going to last cuz people will get sick of dealing with the so called problems caused by what alot of people say the buggiest OS since ME.

I am having 0 issues but im just one guy out of many people trying to deploy updates and finding out their stuff don't work going back to XP will be their key thoughts on top of a bunck of mfers and SOB rants coming from their mouth during frustration.

nekrosoft13
02-21-08, 02:27 PM
to be excact one prerequisite update is the problem on some random machines.

but once SP1 is installed its fine.

Mr Bigman
02-21-08, 03:27 PM
Agreed, its very fine runs great.

vim.

nippyjun
02-22-08, 11:10 AM
I understand that Microsoft have admitted a problem with KB937287 and KB938371 when installing multiple updates and are in the process of pulling and changing the patches.
KB937287 MUSt be installed alone seperately first (usually no reboot required) then install KB938371, and subsequently other updates. The best procedure is to download standalones and install separately from

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5639710d-dfbf-4527-806e-9a1634d0cc8e&DisplayLang=en

This oversight has caused frustrations and lot of problems on many machines

Where did you see that they are pulling and changing these. I've been unable to install KB938371 and have been hoping for an update to this.

Tr1cK
02-22-08, 11:13 AM
I could care less about the topic.

I just enjoy staring at Airbrushkid's avatar. :captnkill:

conroejoe
02-22-08, 10:29 PM
Why dont they just release a standalone that includes those other updates.... why do they have to make it difficult for themselves. MS just looks so stupid sometimes.

Rakeesh
02-22-08, 10:58 PM
Why dont they just release a standalone that includes those other updates.... why do they have to make it difficult for themselves. MS just looks so stupid sometimes.

You look stupid pretty much all the time, to be fair.

conroejoe
02-23-08, 01:25 AM
You look stupid pretty much all the time, to be fair.

Grow up. Just one more worthless post to add to your other 10,000 useless posts.

Mr Bigman
02-23-08, 01:32 AM
Hey, don't pick on him he has good points in his posts and i know once in a great while you can so get along and stick to the topic.

Rakeesh
02-23-08, 02:00 AM
Grow up.

Hey, I am not the one trolling the forums all day long looking for any material I can find to bash Microsoft with.

OldOfEvil
02-23-08, 06:49 AM
You guys think it would be better to do a fresh install of Vista and then updating to SP1 to avoid any possible snags?

Wolfhound
02-23-08, 08:24 AM
You guys think it would be better to do a fresh install of Vista and then updating to SP1 to avoid any possible snags?

I have done this because of problems (probably f***ed up disk before new rig) with my raptors 36G on raid 0 so I had done a fresh install on a Seagate 160G Sata2 7200.10, no problems here.

conroejoe
02-23-08, 09:02 AM
Hey, I am not the one trolling the forums all day long looking for any material I can find to bash Microsoft with.

Who was bashing Vista? I was just saying it's stupid that MS doesn't release a stand alone install of SP1 with all the necessary patches.

If you comprehend what you read I wasn't even bashing Vista I was point out that MS does some boneheaded stuff sometimes. They could resolve the whole issue with the bad updates that caused the problem if they released a single SP1 update with all the smaller updates included.

Apparently you didnt even read the article (http://www.dailytech.com/Vista+SP1+Update+Process+Kills+Some+PCs+Microsoft+ Responds/article10781.htm). So its my fault that some PCs are getting hosed updating to SP1? lol

Rakeesh
02-23-08, 09:22 AM
Who was bashing Vista?

Strange, I don't recall the word Vista being anywhere in my post.

If you comprehend what you read I wasn't even bashing Vista

Sounds to me like you're the one with comprehension issues here.

Drolfrawd
02-25-08, 02:58 PM
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/33613513/vista+sp1?tab=summary

32 bit official

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/33827011/vista+sp1+64?tab=summary

32 and 64 bit

No viruses no problems I am using it now.