PDA

View Full Version : Quake live annouced : Think BF:Heroes - free gameplay

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
02-21-08, 05:39 PM
Created by id Software as an all-new way to deliver the excitement and energy of first-person multiplayer action to a broader audience than ever before, Quake Live offers game players of all skill levels a totally free and easily accessible multiplayer game and community through a single website at quakelive.com. Every element of the experience, including friends lists and communication, sponsored events and tournaments, matchmaking, stats tracking, and even the game itself is accessed and delivered free of charge through the web browser. Integrated with IGA's proprietary SDK, Quake Live will offer companies and agencies fresh opportunities to dynamically-target brands to audiences within a broadly accessible version of one of the world's premiere game franchises, while also offering gamers a totally free premium game, fun events and a vibrant, active community of other players.

Links to some screen shots and source: click here (http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36826/Quake-Live-Screenshots)

SeriTonin
02-21-08, 05:42 PM
So it's Quake 3 Arena, recycled with a new name?

nutcrackr
02-21-08, 05:44 PM
I wonder if I should white list their site :o

DeusGear
02-21-08, 06:06 PM
So it's Quake 3 Arena, recycled with a new name?
And playable anywhere via browser and have an awesome community system like on consoles.

Bman212121
02-21-08, 06:18 PM
Browser based, somehow that doesn't sound too appealing.

Ayepecks
02-21-08, 06:22 PM
Browser based, somehow that doesn't sound too appealing.
Co-sign.

Banko
02-21-08, 06:31 PM
It's launched from a browser it doesn't play in your browser.

rudedog
02-21-08, 06:32 PM
yeah, the screens don't look too promising but if it's browser based well have to wait and see.

I think BF:Heroes is a much better idea. Only time will tell if this is the "wave of the future" or a long drive off a short cliff.

Eliminator
02-21-08, 06:48 PM
why not just give out free downloadable copies of quake 3 instead?... you can probably pick it up in the bargain bin for $0.99 anyway

ClosetFanBoy
02-21-08, 07:09 PM
Ewww! It's from id yucky! Low rez textures yucky! It's free yucky! :headexplode:

This was announced what? A good year ago? I think they had originally planned on having it out at the end of last year, with some "small" graphical enhancements. My only gripe is, I liked the name QuakeZero better :D

I think it's cool. Although I've never been a fan of the king of the hill style of gameplay, I will certainly take this for a spin. Thanks id. ;)

BF:Heros came to the party late, this was announced way before that.

Ayepecks
02-21-08, 08:43 PM
It's launched from a browser it doesn't play in your browser.
Still, what's the point? Why should I have to go to a website to play it... why not just release it without that and have the ads in-game?

ClosetFanBoy
02-21-08, 08:58 PM
Still, what's the point? Why should I have to go to a website to play it... why not just release it without that and have the ads in-game?

Nobody's gonna force you to play it....

Banko
02-21-08, 10:07 PM
Umm why does it matter if it gets launched from the browser? It's an Online Only game so you need internet and how hard is it to open Firefox/IE and click on a favorites link ?

Ayepecks
02-21-08, 10:20 PM
Umm why does it matter if it gets launched from the browser? It's an Online Only game so you need internet and how hard is it to open Firefox/IE and click on a favorites link ?
Ummm, why? Why not just run an executable instead of wasting the processes? It just doesn't seem to make too much sense.

@ ClosetFanBoy: I never said anyone was. Did I imply otherwise?

BronzeGod
02-21-08, 10:25 PM
http://www.shipmentoffail.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/tetrisfail.jpg

nVJoe
02-21-08, 10:43 PM
Quake 3 Arena... Didn't I play that game lat millenium?

ClosetFanBoy
02-21-08, 10:45 PM
Ummm, why? Why not just run an executable instead of wasting the processes? It just doesn't seem to make too much sense.

@ ClosetFanBoy: I never said anyone was. Did I imply otherwise?

Nope.

Hmm maybe id will make royalties off of whichever site will host it! I'm sure from a business stand point the possibilities are endless. :thumbsup:

Ayepecks
02-21-08, 10:58 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe I read that the purpose of the website was to provide the playing audience with ads before launching the game, not during the game... but that may have changed. Personally, I'd rather just have the ads integrated in the game itself. But to each his own.

ClosetFanBoy
02-21-08, 11:22 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe I read that the purpose of the website was to provide the playing audience with ads before launching the game, not during the game... but that may have changed. Personally, I'd rather just have the ads integrated in the game itself. But to each his own.

I've messed around on Gametap, which to me really isnt all that bad. Is that considered a browser? But, if it's anything like Kuma Reality Games, well, that sucked. Maybe because the load times were atrocious.

stncttr908
02-22-08, 09:44 AM
I guess people will complain about anything.

nemecb
02-22-08, 11:16 AM
I approve of this experiment in a new business model for games companies. Kudos for not just going around suing the pants off everyone and instead coming up with a potentially viable long-term solution instead. Now we'll see if it works though, I guess...

Ayepecks
02-22-08, 11:48 AM
I guess people will complain about anything.
People aren't allowed to have an opinion and say what they like or don't like about something?

Where is this world you live in?

mullet
02-22-08, 01:49 PM
JC is still tha man in my book.

ClosetFanBoy
02-22-08, 02:28 PM
JC is still tha man in my book.

He's one of the most like-able nerds in the industry. ;)

I'm sure there's a business stand point to this, but, at the same time, the Q3 engine has to be one of thee most picked apart by hackers engine ever. So throwing a game out there for free download like Enemy Territory might have been a learning lesson to them. That game has become a schoolyard playground for hackers. All they do is regenerate keys all day long and refresh their ip's and make admins lives miserable.

I have no idea how this is going to work. Will the files be server sided, local, and any changes or things added will be noticed? Login/Email registration? Who knows, but I'm sure somewhere along the lines cheating was mentioned when doing this. It prolly wont be as breezy as ET.

NaitoSan
02-22-08, 04:25 PM
man, i remember good times in quake 3 arena. i signed up btw.