PDA

View Full Version : PC gaming is fine, as long as you make a good game.

Pages : [1] 2

rudedog
02-22-08, 11:11 AM
Tom's Games has a little one on one with the one and only Doug Lombari the head guy in charge of Valve.

Doug touches on two important issues, PC gamers are concerned with. The PC gaming industry and what is piracy doing to said industry. You may be surprised, how well Valve is doing in both.

Doug Lombari: We were very happy with both the Xbox 360 and PS3 sales. I think the Xbox 360 version did just over a million, while the PS3 [released later in December] version did a few hundred thousand copies. So I think when all is said and done, The Orange Box will have sold about 1.5 million copies on the console, which is great. But the game's PC sales were much stronger.

Rob Wright: How much stronger, exactly?

Doug Lombari: I'd say significantly stronger, at least a two-digit percentage increase over the console sales. And that includes Steam sales, retail sales, and now individual sales of Portal, Team Fortress 2, and Half-Life 2: Episode 2. So when you take the PC numbers for The Orange Box a la carte, they're significantly higher.

Rob Wright: So it wasn't such a bad year after all for PC games, despite the NPD Group numbers about declining retail sales for 2007.

Doug Lombari: Well, the NPD numbers are just a snapshot. In America, there's no doubt there's a problem with PC game retail sales. But look at other countries like Germany, where sales are much stronger compared to the consoles in a lot of cases. So you have to look at the bigger picture; just look at what Blizzard did alone in 2007. And you also have to look at how money is changing hands and how games are being distributed for the PC games business. The PC is way more evolved in that respect, and digital distribution is a big part of it.

Rob Wright: What about piracy? Do you think that's had a major impact on PC games sales here in the States?

Doug Lombari: Well, piracy is bad, of course. But I don't think it's as big of a problem, at least for us, as people think. The majority of gamers still want to do the right thing and pay for their games. There will always be pirated games, movies and music. But the vast majority of gamers are honest and aren't going to steal the games.

- Read the full article here (http://www.tomsgames.com/us/2008/02/21/gdc_will_steam_add_movies_music/)

|MaguS|
02-22-08, 11:15 AM
Valve is the best thing to happen to PC Gaming!

jAkUp
02-22-08, 11:17 AM
Go Valve :D

nekrosoft13
02-22-08, 11:18 AM
smart guy, thinks the same way as me ;)

six_storm
02-22-08, 11:24 AM
Valve is the best thing to happen to PC Gaming!

Totally agree. It's great not having tons of boxes and CDs/DVDs stacked away in the closet.

NarcissistZero
02-22-08, 11:52 AM
Good comments, I'm happy to learn worldwide sales of Orange Box made the PC version the best seller. I wish Americans would get on board more, but... what are you gonna do.

I wonder how games like Oblivion and CoD4... PC franchises that supposedly did better on console... stack up in a worldwide sense? Did Oblivion end up selling more on PC when you count total worldwide sales?

Mr. Hunt
02-22-08, 12:12 PM
Ehhh... I agree to an extent... but how can he compare something like Portal (only 20 bucks on steam?) vs Orange box on 360 and PS3 (60 bucks)?

Ninjaman09
02-22-08, 12:23 PM
Ehhh... I agree to an extent... but how can he compare something like Portal (only 20 bucks on steam?) vs Orange box on 360 and PS3 (60 bucks)?
He meant the orange box package deal as well as combined individual part sales. It's a relevant comparison.

And yes Valve is a great force in PC gaming. :)

evox
02-22-08, 12:38 PM
and Valve gives a finger to CliffyB! :D

Redeemed
02-22-08, 12:39 PM
I'm sick of how biased the PC sales numbers are. Why don't they include the revenue generated by hardware purchases (gaming hardware, not just hardware in general), on line distribution of software, etc? Why can't they include the entire spectrum of PC gaming? They pit all the sales of each console combined against incomplete numbers for the PC and call that even... it sickens me. If you looked at the whole picture for PC gaming I'm sure the numbers would be more in favor of the PC.

Redeemed
02-22-08, 12:39 PM
and Valve gives a finger to CliffyB! :D
Awesome, ain't it? :D

mullet
02-22-08, 12:47 PM
rudedog, Thanks for the info dude great read. Thank god for Valve. I think I will just purchase all my games off Steam, I like the backup to DVD option. I will gladly support a developer that has done there home work and supports PC gaming like Valve has. LONG LIVE TF2!!!!!!!

Ninjaman09
02-22-08, 01:21 PM
rudedog, Thanks for the info dude great read. Thank god for Valve. I think I will just purchase all my games off Steam, I like the backup to DVD option. I will gladly support a developer that has done there home work and supports PC gaming like Valve has. LONG LIVE TF2!!!!!!!
I've bought about 4 of my games through Steam and I really love it. I think digital distribution is the best way to sell games at this point.

nekrosoft13
02-22-08, 01:54 PM
I'm sick of how biased the PC sales numbers are. Why don't they include the revenue generated by hardware purchases (gaming hardware, not just hardware in general), on line distribution of software, etc? Why can't they include the entire spectrum of PC gaming? They pit all the sales of each console combined against incomplete numbers for the PC and call that even... it sickens me. If you looked at the whole picture for PC gaming I'm sure the numbers would be more in favor of the PC.

this might interest you

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1565074&postcount=63

PC game info doesn't include stuff like steam, direct2drive etc..

Jonelo
02-22-08, 02:21 PM
This is the PCGA information .. the source is DFC inteligence - retail sales + digital + suscriptions

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y117/jonelo/capturas%202/5567.jpg

http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/en/documents/PCGA_Announcement_Presentation.pdf

The future .

The PC gaming market is a multi-billion dollar industry with hundreds of millions of gamers
worldwide. Leading research firm DFC Intelligence calls PC gaming “one of the fastest-growing
segments of the interactive entertainment market” and projects that the PC game business will
grow more than 80 percent over the next five years, with major increases in the number of PC
gamers, revenue from digital distribution, and PC hardware sales

Destroy
02-22-08, 02:45 PM
I'm sick of how biased the PC sales numbers are.

Yeah, its fun how they usually compare all the consoles put together vs. PC alone. :thumbdwn:

bacon12
02-22-08, 03:10 PM
Just goes to say if you build it they will come. Don't build or more importantly port crap over and expect us to eat it up.

spirited1
02-22-08, 03:14 PM
Don't build or more importantly port crap over and expect us to eat it up.

But you will eat it up. You always have, and you always will.

[By you, I mean people in general, not you personally bacon12]

DeusGear
02-22-08, 03:18 PM
I love steam because I hate to wait to go to the store/order game. Because of that I haven't pirated a single valve game since I can easily pay for it, get great SP and MP and have it always there where a reinstall is but a click away.

NarcissistZero
02-22-08, 03:21 PM
I still buy retail, but that's mainly because my DSL is sloooooow and I don't like downloading 6GB to reinstall or install a game. Even with preloads, that ties up my connection for a whole day...

When I get better Internet I might get more into downloading large games on Steam, it really is an easy way to shop, and having no DVD requirement is awesome.

NaitoSan
02-22-08, 03:27 PM
i always love valve, this is why. i hope to work for them when i graduate from school. :D

bacon12
02-22-08, 03:38 PM
Speaking of valve/steam where do the tf2 screenshots get saved? Or where on drive is the steam content?

nutcrackr
02-22-08, 03:44 PM
Another interesting thing on the Games for Windows podcast.

One of the lead devs at Relic said the steam sales for Company of Heroes were great. And that they compared with the sales for Best Buy.

Buio
02-22-08, 03:46 PM
It's like Blizzard would go out and say PC gaming is fine because of WoW.

You can't just look at one successful developer.

crainger
02-22-08, 03:47 PM
Timeshift is actually a pretty fun game.