PDA

View Full Version : UT3's UI Was "****ed"

Pages : [1] 2

evox
02-23-08, 11:48 AM
That's just one memorable quote from a candid Epic Games Unreal Tournament III post-mortem event at GDC:

[Jeff Morris] bemoaned staggered launches across multiple platforms and regions, and after insisting that publisher Midway Games' PR team performed marvelously, said that going public with the game a full two and a half years before it was finished was a mistake

Epic Games feels that one of the biggest issues with the recently released Unreal Tournament 3 is that due to the inclusion of console-friendly features (necessary for the title's PlayStation 3 version), the game lacks a lot of necessary polish.

[Capps] also revealed that a lot of the polish the company wanted to put into the title was simply not possible thanks to the constricting deadlines they had created for themselves by opting for a planned simultaneous PC and PS3 release.

Head to Planet Unreal to discover what other critiques Epic had of their latest game, and also take a gander at another PU article where Epic describes Unreal Tournament 2003 as a "misstep".

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/36981/UT3s-UI-Was-****ed

fizix
02-23-08, 12:03 PM
so.....thank you consoles?

Moo
02-23-08, 12:15 PM

Thank you Sony! :rolleyes:

jcrox
02-23-08, 12:19 PM
the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem :D

Eliminator
02-23-08, 12:47 PM
nasty virus... consolitus

Bokishi
02-23-08, 12:51 PM
I know, I use togglehud a lot cuz I hate the interface

ralinn
02-23-08, 01:11 PM
Thank you Sony! :rolleyes:
Surely you mean "thank you Epic"?

People are so quick to blame consoles when something bad happens to a PC game. They could have made a seperate UI for the PC version, but they decided not too. They may have had a time restriction, but they said that THEY planned the simultaneous release.

jAkUp
02-23-08, 01:14 PM
Well, hopefully they will release UT4 soon

sammy sung
02-23-08, 01:26 PM
Surely you mean "thank you Epic"?

People are so quick to blame consoles when something bad happens to a PC game. They could have made a seperate UI for the PC version, but they decided not too. They may have had a time restriction, but they said that THEY planned the simultaneous release.

Idd and they had allmost FOUR farking months to rectify it and still the ui is crap,easily the worst out of any predecessor on the series.I have waited all this time for a working webadmin to make the serverwork easier but when it arrives it fails on several points,i still have to add maps manually editing the inis,the mutators doesnt stick/or arent selectable in the webadmin,i still have to use text files like this after logging in as admin on the server,you trigger them with a exec command:
Admin ServerTravel CTF-Reflection?Game=UTGameContent.UTCTFGame_Content?Ga meMode=1?MaxPlayers=10?
TimeLimit=20?GoalScore=0?Mutator=UTGame.UTMutator_ Instagib,UTGame.UTMutator_NoTranslocator?PlayersMu stBeReady=True

So basicly nothing has changed,the game still stinks,the ui sucks and you still have to do all the work manually when you could make maplists ,manage mutators and so on in the older webadmins.Its like they cant do anything right,there's all this wrong with the game and it seems like they put most of their efforts into the absymal singleplayer part and the bots :headexplode:
I'm giving up on this game now,tried to hold on because of what the prior games mean to me but its not worth it,no game is worth frustration like this,hell its not even a fun game to play .../end rant (po) :rant:

SeriTonin
02-23-08, 02:28 PM
It's more than the game's U.I that's ****ed......

nekrosoft13
02-23-08, 03:20 PM

consoles always **** things up

Koko56
02-23-08, 03:56 PM
lol at this thread

nutcrackr
02-23-08, 04:39 PM
they should have held it, idiots, they just wanted in on the holiday sales.

Sobbsy
02-23-08, 09:41 PM
And now they're going to say "Creating it for multiple platforms really screwed us over, so we're not going to bother with PC any more!".

(nana2)

Bman212121
02-24-08, 08:51 AM
Well, hopefully they will release UT4 soon

I hope they just fix the game they have instead of releasing a new one. It would be pretty crappy if they screw over everyone who has bought this game to release another one that is just the current one with patches. Not they have done that in the past or anything. :rolleyes:

jolle
02-24-08, 09:09 AM
Weeell.. take the 2k4 UI, sprouce it up a little and release it as a patch for PC..

SeriTonin
02-24-08, 09:58 AM
Texture pack, game mode pack, ...too many packs, I say just start from scratch and actually make a good game.

hell_of_doom227
02-24-08, 10:07 AM
I said in couple other posts that PC as gaming platform is dying.

Games for consoles are cheaper to make, cheap to support, good source of money.

PC games are harder to make, cost support is big (patches, etc), not really good source of money (piracy).

PC platform is terrible for gaming from day one. Its modularity design is the biggest problem PC has. There are so many different PC configurations that making game to work good on most of them nowdays is almost impossible. People don't want to spend money on more hardware to run certain game nice like Crysis, or wait months for patch of drivers in order to play.
With consoles you don't have that crap because you deal with one configuration with its limitations and developers know how to make a game using maximum possible out of it and every costumer will have same experience which is damn good. Developers don't need to worry about patches, drivers and other crap. The other problem is Windows itself.

Computers prior PCs didn't have this problem and it was ultimate gaming platform because of its singularity type of design such as Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64, Amiga 500. Back in 1991 when PC took over i laughed so hard cause PC is just CRAP CRAP.

SeriTonin
02-24-08, 11:25 AM

PC games are harder to make, cost support is big (patches, etc), not really good source of money (piracy).

PC platform is terrible for gaming from day one. Its modularity design is the biggest problem PC has. There are so many different PC configurations that making game to work good on most of them nowdays is almost impossible. People don't want to spend money on more hardware to run certain game nice like Crysis, or wait months for patch of drivers in order to play.
With consoles you don't have that crap because you deal with one configuration with its limitations and developers know how to make a game using maximum possible out of it and every costumer will have same experience which is damn good. Developers don't need to worry about patches, drivers and other crap. The other problem is Windows itself.

Computers prior PCs didn't have this problem and it was ultimate gaming platform because of its singularity type of design such as Spectrum ZX, Commodore 64, Amiga 500. Back in 1991 when PC took over i laughed so hard cause PC is just CRAP CRAP.

What's this got to do with making a bad game?

Game sucks on consoles equally as it does on pc. Consoles don't "fix" a game to play better...

evox
02-24-08, 11:38 AM

http://i27.tinypic.com/2hwi90o.jpg

jAkUp
02-24-08, 02:57 PM

If you haven't realized by now, most PC games are console ports, thus the game is exactly the same as the console version, and in most cases, slightly better.

crainger
02-24-08, 03:00 PM
http://i27.tinypic.com/2hwi90o.jpg

::rofl:

hell_of_doom227
02-24-08, 05:11 PM
If you haven't realized by now, most PC games are console ports, thus the game is exactly the same as the console version, and in most cases, slightly better.

You don't realise that PC gamers have problems people running consoles don't.

Gears of War for an example. Is it really worth to buy $2500 PC machine and again have problems over $400 console. I say not.

SeriTonin
02-24-08, 08:10 PM

Gears of War for an example. Is it really worth to buy $2500 PC machine and again have problems over $400 console. I say not.

That's everyone's personal opinion. Some feel the $2500 is well spent for aa/af options and higher resolutions you can't get on consoles, not to forget tons of mod support, patches, expansion packs, and usually, games that are also on console, but $10-$20 cheaper on pc.

Richteralan
02-24-08, 08:19 PM

$2500 PC?
you pulled this number out from your AS5?