PDA

View Full Version : PCI-E connector vs molex adapter

xmichaeluk
02-23-08, 12:03 PM
Hello lads, it's me again :)

This time I've a little question regarding my power supply and the way my GeForce 8800GTS is connected to it.

I've heard a lot of people saying that sometimes PSU's cannot provide enough power for such strong cards via the PCI-E 6pin cord. I've been thinking about it a lot and considering whether I'm getting the most of my card.

For a second, I thought that my PSU wasn't strong enough, but then I read the spec of my PSU which is Thermaltake Toughpower 600W. It has combined loading of 48A on the +12 rails which according to nvidia's minimum requirements for this card is much more than it needs.

The thing that concerns me is that my PC has only scored about 8500 in the 3d mark06 test.

Here's the full spec:
GeForce 8800GTS 512
3GB RAM
AMD Athlon X2 running at 2x2.8Ghz
Gigabyte K8N Ultra Sli
2x250GB Seagate sata
1xIDE Seagate 160GB
1xUSB Philips 250GB
2xDVD-RW

I'd like to see your opinions on this matter. Thanks from advance.

jcrox
02-23-08, 12:21 PM
Your psu is more than powerful enough. I've had my GTS running on an Ultra 500w psu while I once again await yet another RMA from OCZ.

edit: the low 3dmark score is due to your processor, not your card

Bman212121
02-23-08, 12:23 PM
Your power supply will be able to handle one 8800GTS just fine. The problem that a lot of power supplies have is that they only provide 2 12 volt rails for power. One rail is always dedicated for the CPU, and the other one then is used to power your hard drives, your graphics card, your DVD drives, etc. The problem is that even if a power supply like that is rated for 36A on the 12V rail, your graphics cards can only get a maximum of 18A that needs to be shared with many other things. The CPU will have it's own 18A rail and even if it only uses 9A, the other 9A can't be used.

Your Power supply uses 4 rails with can supply up to 18A on one rail. http://thermaltakeusa.com/product/Power/ToughPower/W0103/w0103.asp
However, as you have seen it can only provide a total 48A for 12V. So the advantages on the toughpower is that the load can be distributed much better because your graphics card can pull power from it's own dedicated 18A rail and the other 18A can be split between the other 3 rails for the CPU and other devices.

I'm running a pc similar to yours with 2 8800GTX cards in SLI all on the 750W model without issues. I used to have an FX-60 running with this as well.

As for your 3dmark06 score. It might be a hair low, but it's not that far off. You cannot directly compare the total 3dmark06 scores with other owners of 8800GTS cards because the CPU plays a big role in the total score. Without a doubt the reason why your score is much lower than others is that the Althon X2 doesn't score nearly as high in CPU tests as a Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad would. If you look at the SM2.0 and SM3.0 test and only compare those scores to other users, it will give you a much better idea if your card is doing what it should be. Also, which Athlon X2 model is that? If it's a 4200+ or a 4600+ then it only has 1MB L2 cache and even though it's running at 2.8GHZ the 4400+, the 4800+, and the FX-60 will score higher because they all have 2MB L2 cache.

Eliminator
02-23-08, 12:44 PM
yea your PSU is more than enough... CPU is the bottleneck

xmichaeluk
02-23-08, 12:47 PM
So what you're saying is that my PSU is strong enough but it's the CPU that brings the 3dmark score down?

Well, after all, I can't complain because let's say in CoD4, I'm getting 90-240fps on all settings maxed out. I think the 3dmark06 result does not reflect the real performance.

XDanger
02-23-08, 01:24 PM
in CoD4, I'm getting 90-240fps on all settings maxed out.

:beer2:

xmichaeluk
02-23-08, 01:33 PM
Why is this cpu so expensive? Take a look at this: http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=AMD+Athlon+FX60&um=1&ie=UTF-8

It is exactly the same one that I have.

XDanger
02-23-08, 02:27 PM
Why is this cpu so expensive? Take a look at this: http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=AMD+Athlon+FX60&um=1&ie=UTF-8

It is exactly the same one that I have.
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=AMD+Athlon+X2+2.8&btnG=Search+Products&show=dd&scoring=p
Not this one then?

Did you fix your pci-e x8 problem?

xmichaeluk
02-23-08, 02:35 PM
Nope, I even took the fan off and looked at the name on the processor. It's exactly the one that I showed you in the first link. Is that a good cpu?

I fixed the x8 problem, on the motherboard there was a tiny clip indicating SLI mode being turned on. I swapped the clip over so that It's not pointing Normal mode. The speed has changed from x8 to x16.

XDanger
02-23-08, 03:31 PM
Those are all links for a product no longer sold so they show the original max price maybe