PDA

View Full Version : My CDROM trays won't open

The Analog Kid
04-27-03, 09:57 AM
Both my DVD-Rom and my CD-RW trays won't open. I doubt both are dead. I got a new case and installed everything, they both worked in the old case, but for some reason they don't work on this one. They do power up, then the light turns on for a few seconds and then shuts off. Then it will just keep blinking and not shut off.

stncttr908
04-27-03, 10:00 AM
Are they on the same IDE? Check your connections, make sure your power cables are connected well. Does everything else work? Did you reinstall your OS? If so, make sure that both are in DMA mode by going to Control Panel > system > hardware > device manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and enabling it for each.

The Analog Kid
04-27-03, 10:11 AM
Well I would love to reinstall the OS, but I can't get the tray open. :) I tried multiple cables thinking that they might be damaged. No change. I tried alternating master/slave between the two. that didn't work either. I think i will try to put one on the first ide channel

Rampant CL
04-27-03, 10:15 AM
Try them one at a time and see what the result is, if there is still no luck try it in someone elses PC.

vampireuk
04-27-03, 10:29 AM
Try this (http://chrisstorer.com/cupholder.htm)

ahh crap never mind the links not the same now:( :D

The Baron
04-27-03, 10:34 AM
Disconnect IDE completely, then boot em up.

If THAT doesn't work... uhhhhh.... get a paperclip :D

volt
04-27-03, 10:37 AM
Before you ram your CD-ROM with clippers and stuff, have you tried opening it from an application? (CD Player, jukebox etc...)

The Analog Kid
04-27-03, 10:53 AM
Well I tried both on the primary IDE channel and it still doesn't work. I tried oepning the CDROM but my computer crashes when trying to open it.

vampireuk
04-27-03, 11:23 AM
Dodgy virus?