PDA

View Full Version : Tribes:Vengeance

Pages : [1] 2

sonaboy
04-27-03, 11:59 AM
So I read this -
"The single-player in Tribes: Vengeance isn't just going to be a knock-off of the multiplayer game, it's an attempt to progress first-person shooters beyond what any other shooter has done, and at the same time maintain the integrity of the multiplayer that made Tribes what it is." - Chris Mankhen producer Vivendi

and i go - great...put all your effort into the part of the game that NO ONE cares about, and forget about improving on the MP aspects of T2 that turned away so many people.
Sierra OK'ed this, which to me, means that the WRONG company is in charge of this franchise.

Why must i endure so much incompetence from a company over a game that used to be so kick-@ss??
Tribes 1 flat out rocked my world, and i played it for 3 years without being bored. Yet it's obvious that these game devs and publishers have no idea what to do with it. And which modders do they ask to give input from?
the guy that created RABBIT? Where the hell are the guys that modded Renegades Shifter, and the XC games? THOSE GUYS KNOW WHAT THEY"RE DOING. Rabbit?? I think i played it twice in however many years this thing has been out.

Ugh...my fave franchise headed further down the drain..:bs: :bs: :bs: :rant:

styles-T
04-27-03, 01:26 PM
tribes 1 was the best game ever imo...and all it took was a voodoo 3 to play it..

Tribes 2 was garbage and tribes 3 will probably be the same.. :(

The Baron
04-27-03, 04:08 PM
Renegades = TEH SUCK.

Base, Baby, Base.

Or Base++, to be exact. Renegades is just boring and stupid. If you want to shoot 60 discs a second, play UT2k3.

sonaboy
04-28-03, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by The Baron
Renegades = TEH SUCK.

Base, Baby, Base.

Or Base++, to be exact. Renegades is just boring and stupid. If you want to shoot 60 discs a second, play UT2k3.

Renegades isn't the mod that has ultra high rate of fire and maxed ammo.
that's XT.

renegades was the mod that made T1 and T2 into the games that they're SUPPOSED TO BE.
9 different armors, each with a special beacon power. cloaked planes, laser turrets, non-lock rockets, rail gun, mortar turrets, det packs, spys - it was the best game ever for T1, and made T2 fun enough to keep going.

BASE for T2?? puhLEEZ....worst, slowest, boring

Vlasic
05-04-03, 06:36 PM
Okay guys. You seem to have some misconceptions.

The single player and multiplayer aspects of Tribes:Vengence are being developed independently.

Irrational Games is developing the single player.

KineticPoet (the writer of Team Rabbit and Team Rabbit 2, for Tribes and T2) is developing the multiplayer.

This is a GOOD thing. KP is tasked with making T:V multiplayer FAST and FUN. And knowing KP's work, he won't be happy until the multiplayer aspect of the game is perfect.

You guys should be thrilled that a guy that loves the original tribes is doing the multiplayer. He's going to do his best to bring that magic back.

RenGen
05-04-03, 06:37 PM
You are clearly out of touch with the franchise and misguided on many levels.

Originally posted by sonaboy
So I read this -
"The single-player in Tribes: Vengeance isn't just going to be a knock-off of the multiplayer game, it's an attempt to progress first-person shooters beyond what any other shooter has done, and at the same time maintain the integrity of the multiplayer that made Tribes what it is." - Chris Mankhen producer Vivendi

and i go - great...put all your effort into the part of the game that NO ONE cares about, and forget about improving on the MP aspects of T2 that turned away so many people.
Sierra OK'ed this, which to me, means that the WRONG company is in charge of this franchise.

Here's the deal. To move units, they need compelling single player. They need a FULL GAME to sell and absolutely tear people away from their other games. They want this to be the next half-life of FPS games, and they're well on their way.

Why must i endure so much incompetence from a company over a game that used to be so kick-@ss??
Tribes 1 flat out rocked my world, and i played it for 3 years without being bored. Yet it's obvious that these game devs and publishers have no idea what to do with it. And which modders do they ask to give input from?
the guy that created RABBIT? Where the hell are the guys that modded Renegades Shifter, and the XC games? THOSE GUYS KNOW WHAT THEY"RE DOING. Rabbit?? I think i played it twice in however many years this thing has been out.

Ugh...my fave franchise headed further down the drain..:bs: :bs: :bs: :rant:

Do you even know who Kinetic Poet is? In addition to developing Team Rabbit 2, he's a member of the most well-respected and succesful teams in the tribes community, Imperial Elite. He knows tribes multiplayer like the back of his hand. He knows what it should be, what it shouldn't be, and now he has the resources to realize his visions. Knowing that he is on board the project makes me more hopeful than anything else, and it should inspire similar feelings in you as a tribes veteran too.

deus-
05-04-03, 06:42 PM
dont expect sonaboy to know what hes talking about, after all he likes renegades

The Baron
05-04-03, 07:04 PM
Do I care about a specific guy? Nah.

Do I care about Irrational Games? Uh... YES ;)

They made SS2 and Freedom Force. What else do you need to know?

mooie g
05-04-03, 07:12 PM
Yes, Vlasic and RenGen raised some very good points.

In addition to that, I suggest you give the following a read on the singleplayer aspect of Tribes Vengeance.

http://www.tribalwar.com/articles/index.php?articleid=53

Tribes Vengeance looks to be a great game, I am looking forward to it a lot... especially the singple player.

Kasier
05-04-03, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by sonaboy
And which modders do they ask to give input from?

LOL
Screw those lame mods, if you want good mod advice go talk to z0dd. If you want someone who knows exactly what they are doing and someone with the incredible programming ability and understand of the game to pull it off, go talk to KineticPoet. I did not know Kinetic was in charge of MP until I read this post, and I have to say that knowing this really boosted my confidence in Tribes: Vengeance. I now look forward to a great game.

Team Rabbit 2, although for the most part short-lived, was an outstanding mod. The reason it wasn't like is because it was alot harder than Tribes 2 with a steeper learning curve, and that's also the reason the Tribes 2 is so unpopular among other games. As long as T:V is still Tribes, it's going to be a total breakthrough.

GODADONE
05-04-03, 08:27 PM
renegades sucks ass. I hope T3 blows everything out of the water.

The Baron
05-04-03, 10:05 PM
z0dd? BASE++!

And jeez, where did all these one-posters come from? Maybe they're the same guy? ;)

Vlasic
05-04-03, 10:49 PM
uuhhhh.....no.

The Baron
05-04-03, 11:07 PM
Whoa, TWL. Schwanky. Now if you open up some UT2k3 135 LGIG BR leagues, I'm there :D

As for T: V, the only thing that will ruin it is the thing that ruined T2. Rushing it out the door. If it's buggy at all when launched, it's doomed to failure.

Kasier
05-04-03, 11:26 PM
GOD DAMNIT I just realized I spelled my name wrong in the forum

Vlasic
05-04-03, 11:27 PM
yeah i thought that didn't look right

juzfugen
05-05-03, 12:09 AM
Renegades = TEH SUCK.

Base, Baby, Base.

your obviously way out of the loop base++ is dead classic now owns T2 with speeds like T1 it has made competition better thn ever in the T2 community. back to the subject at hand T:V keep ontop the link provided above to tribalwar for updates as the DEV team seems to post there on those forums

n0rstar
05-05-03, 06:02 AM
Renegades sux da ballz, and thinking anyone who modded that or some othere no-name mod that only a hand full of extreme newbs play is retarded. KP is well suited for this task

mrblah
05-05-03, 02:28 PM
Ignorant people like you should not make opinions on games they know NOTHING about it, which is completely obvious from veiwing your post.

Homerpf
05-05-03, 03:24 PM
No offense to z0dd in the least bit. z0dd did code Base++ and Classic along with ZOD. But those were basic physics changes along with adding little things that were needed. I'm sure z0dd put a lot of time into the mods, and without them T2 would be just about dead like a year ago. My main problem with the classic development was that a lot of the input in forums was not even considered. KP has been pretty open as to making sure he combines what made T1 a good game, and the good parts from T2 together. That is a lot better than making another T1 with prettier graphics. As long as KP and Irrational games are actually open to what the community has to say, I'm sure it will be a good game.

While this might sound contradicting to some people. I don't think that Irrational games will really care much about what the Ren community wants to see in the game. Ren is and always will be so much different from the actual base game, that its not their view on things. I'm sure someone will make a ren for T3, but I take it that Irrational games will take suggestions from the community keeping in mind that the Ren portion of T1/T2 is a very small part in the big picture.

mooie g
05-05-03, 03:38 PM
z0dd? BASE++!

And jeez, where did all these one-posters come from? Maybe they're the same guy? ;)

I told the ppl at TWL about this thread.

http://www.teamwarfare.com/

The Baron
05-05-03, 03:55 PM
Ah. Gotcha. But no, Renegades just doesn't do it for me. Classic hasn't really been able to do it for me either (I played for a few hours the past few days), but then again, I wasn't a T1 fanatic. Maybe I just need to find the right server and find my groove again.

sonaboy
05-05-03, 04:12 PM
psssst...you guys can SUCK it - i've played Tribes since day one, and i know what mods are good.
Renegades was far from perfect, but still 10x better than the boxed game - as far as the Kinetic Poet guy, maybe i'm rushing to the punch, but really - if his mod died because the learning curve was too high, and that's the exact thing that prevented the franchise from competing with the elite FPS in the first place, it sounds like the wrong choice to bring the game back to the top.
That's why i said that the modders for the original Ren would be good for this, because that's exactly what they did to both games - made it faster and more fun without too much higher a learning curve.

and as for focusing on the single player aspect to move game units - really, what's the point? Tribes 1 is pretty much universally admired on this thread, it's obvious, and that game didn't have any focus on the single player. So why exhaust so many resources trying to dethrone the elite FPS that have the killer single player line?? Tribes is a MP game - period.
no sense in burdening the code with needless AI when no ones going to use it in the first place.

what the hell makes you so smart deus? F**KING TROLL - eat me.

GODADONE
05-05-03, 07:33 PM
dude, you just brought the peoples elbow on yourself.

-[ENIG]ma-
05-05-03, 08:11 PM
i have been a member of the Tribes community and tribes ladders for many years. tribes2 was a disapointment to me, but i kept with it, learned to love it, and in its own way, it was a totally different game than Tribes1.

even if tribes3 isn't the same game as Tribes1 and Tribes2, it will have its ups and downs just like any game. this is a different dev team (again) so don't be expecting Tribes1 gameplay with graphics that will make you get 2 fps with anything besides a GF FX.

buy the game, play it, if you hate it, keep playing it.