PDA

View Full Version : plz help, before i start crying ..

g-a-m-e
02-26-08, 05:51 AM
Sooo ,... new evga 780 i motherboard. Stomped the proc up to 3,8 ghz without hassle . (4-4-4 1T (first try, i sh^t you not)
Curious as to how far it will go, but that's another story .
On that note a HUGE improvement over my p5n32-E which i even couldnt get up to 3,3 ghz, and that is with 2T ENabled.

That board was a piece of crap in hindsight if you ask me .

However, after having some difficulties with keyboard and mouse, now i can't seem to get SLI enabled.

I'm just missing the whole 3d section in my control panel.

Windows recognizes both cards, gpu-z recognizes both cards. But the forceware 169.21 does NOT :thumbdwn:

When i reinstall the driver, i do get the balloon that says 'monster sli bla bla , click to enable' , but then, when i do , it says something along the lines of 'you need to have a second graphic card in a pci-e slot that is at least 4x" or something like that.

I'm updating my windows via windows update now , installed dotnet.fx 1.1 , but i doubt that will do the trick ..

Where is my 3d section in the nvidia control panel ?

thx in advance, i've been at it since all day now and i want to run some benches :_+(

EciDemon
02-26-08, 06:02 AM
Id say a rule of thumb is to go back to stock speed and check if everything is ok. Just to rule out.

You could also check newer beta drivers.

g-a-m-e
02-26-08, 06:14 AM
thanks ecidemon .

But the problem is solved. > driver cleaner . :o

EciDemon
02-26-08, 07:49 AM
Hehe, I always managed without Driver cleaner so it never even occured to me.
Will keep this in mind :)

stncttr908
02-26-08, 07:57 AM
Glad to hear you avoided tears. :D

Did you do a fresh Windows install after switching boards?

soulie
02-26-08, 01:38 PM
(popcorn) since we arent getting tears at least give us some pictures of that 780i in action

g-a-m-e
02-26-08, 03:41 PM
Glad to hear you avoided tears. :D

Did you do a fresh Windows install after switching boards?

I'm glad you asked. And no . :headexplode: I ended up with 2 corrupt windows installs on 2 separate disks, which at some point spawned a collective A.I, dedicated to the task of devouring my soul .
I had to destroy the monster i created and begin with ONE fresh install, a less evil one ...

The above was mostly my fault though, i had gotten away with just switching motherboards in the past, but not this time ,... I spent some 10 hours trying to get things to work properly before surrendering .

This board definately has some issues with USB though. Only AFTER i had installed the chipset drivers, did i lose my keyboard and mouse function completely .
Plugged in a mouse with the old connector, that worked, but after rebooting it just would not reboot and hanged at code 25, whatever that is.
Took me a couple of hours and a good nights sleep to figure out i might try to boot with the mouse unplugged (who would have thought), and voila, back in windows, but still no mouse and keyboard.
Got it 'fixed' by disabling 2.0 USB speed in bios. Not ideal but it was the only way i could get mouse and keyboard to work.

Also the layout is freakin HORRIBLE. One stupid little capacitator sits on the edge of the socket. Completely deserted by it's friend, just there to make it impossible to install your cooler like it should be installed.

So i had to rotate the cooler, and since the socket is so ridiculously high up , the cooler now sticks way out of the board, and to make it all fit in my case i had to remove the ceiling fans. And then it still barely (and i mean BARELY) clears the OTHER capacitators (a complete nice little row of em this time) that sits on the other side of the socket.

Rotating the socket presents another problem, when you mount a fan on the cooler (the scythe thingy in this case) it sits against your memory modules. Cause they are too close to the socket as well .

http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/3528/badlayoutzh4.png

So now you have a cooler that is sticking out of the board, crammed in between the case-ceiling and memory modules. Looks real good to :o
Oh and it seems that the little chipset cooler fan is doing a nice job of providing your videocard some heating.

Resetting CMOS is a blast though.
If you have a second card installed, forget about resetting CMOS, or flipping out the battery alltogether.
If you run into some nasty BIOS settings you simply have to de-install your 2nd videocard.

Overclocking though, (so far, havent tried much yet) is super awesome if i compare it to my previous boards the P5N32-E and P5W-dh deluxe.

With those boards i could barely get an FSB of 1500, let alone at 1T .

I wished for 24/7 settings with 9.5 x 1600 , 4-4-4-1T . Well i tried once .And that was enough :-)
awesome.

Did some quick benchies at 9.25 x 1700 , is stable, but needs 1.3 Vcore (real, in bios shows 1.33 or 1.35, i forgot which one) .
Too much Vcore for 24/7 use , but like i said, is stable.

http://img297.imageshack.us/img297/116/228kfx2.th.png (http://img297.imageshack.us/my.php?image=228kfx2.png)

3dmark06 18.5k http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=5441922

SuperPi is 11.3 seconds.

So, Layout is horrible (in my opinion) , but performance seems pretty okay, sofar .

Amuro
02-26-08, 08:19 PM
I love the Striker II Formula layout. Clearing CMOS is so much easier with the switch on the back I/O.

stncttr908
02-26-08, 08:37 PM
Wow, no wonder you had so much trouble. Even if I switch graphics card brands I generally reinstall. :o

Generally that's only because I do a fresh format every 6 months or so and it happens to fall on an upgrade.

SeriTonin
02-26-08, 09:20 PM
Plug in mobo, start computer, leave case open, cry over it.

g-a-m-e
02-27-08, 11:44 PM
I love the Striker II Formula layout. Clearing CMOS is so much easier with the switch on the back I/O.

yes i was considering that board as well, but, according to some reviews it didnt clock all that super ?

But this layout does make one appreciate the work asus and other brands put into their motherboards re-arranging it lol .

Amuro
02-28-08, 12:26 AM
yes i was considering that board as well, but, according to some reviews it didnt clock all that super ?

But this layout does make one appreciate the work asus and other brands put into their motherboards re-arranging it lol .
With the 0902 BIOS, it clocks very well as long as you keep your northbridge cool.