PDA

View Full Version : Should I get Vista or XP for my new laptop?

Kain
02-26-08, 08:29 AM
I'm planning on getting a laptop and I have a choice of either getting Vista or XP. The specs are T7300, 2GB RAM, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 with 256MB GDDR3 dedicated.

I asked this question on http://forum.notebookreview.com and most are saying XP will be better for gaming, especially with SP3 out soon.

If I get the laptop with Vista I'll have the option of using 64-bit (as during the first boot you can select 32-bit or 64-bit versions) where as if I get it with XP I'll only be able to use 32-bit.

What you say?

Q
02-26-08, 08:37 AM
Good question.

XP will be marginally better for gaming and is the more reliable of the two choices. But Vista SP1 is not a bad OS. It has its quirks, but it has some cool features also.

If your priorities are gaming and a very "clean" production environment, I'd go with XP. If you like bells and whistles and somewhat more robust security (and some growing pains), go with Vista. We're not going to be able to influence you too much.

This thread is undoubtedly going to errupt in a flame fest.

six_storm
02-26-08, 08:59 AM
I'm planning on getting a laptop and I have a choice of either getting Vista or XP. The specs are T7300, 2GB RAM, and an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2600 with 256MB GDDR3 dedicated.

I asked this question on http://forum.notebookreview.com and most are saying XP will be better for gaming, especially with SP3 out soon.

If I get the laptop with Vista I'll have the option of using 64-bit (as during the first boot you can select 32-bit or 64-bit versions) where as if I get it with XP I'll only be able to use 32-bit.

What you say?

What are you mainly going to use it for?

Riptide
02-26-08, 09:22 AM
Vista w/2GB doesn't seem good for gaming. I guess if you upgraded. But then you'll want to plan ahead and get the 64bit version.

Kain
02-26-08, 09:27 AM
What are you mainly going to use it for? Office and some gaming (mainly CS:S).

LycosV
02-26-08, 09:39 AM
Can you upgrade the RAM beyond the 2GB that come in it? If so, definatly go with Vista and x64, if not it becomes a more difficult decission.

Riptide
02-26-08, 09:39 AM
XP should be fine for that.

However down the road and newer games? Not so much. But most DX10/newer games are going to be choking on that video card anyway I would expect.

Kain
02-26-08, 09:41 AM
Can you upgrade the RAM beyond the 2GB that come in it? If so, definatly go with Vista and x64, if not it becomes a more difficult decission. Max supported RAM is 4GB.

six_storm
02-26-08, 09:48 AM
Office and some gaming (mainly CS:S).

XP would be fine for that. All other specs look good as well!

Kain
02-26-08, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the replies.

However, if I do get XP, will I regret it later on? What features will I miss in XP that are in Vista?

Kain
02-26-08, 10:15 AM
BTW, if I do get Vista, I'll be using the 64-bit version where as if I get XP, I'll be using the 32-bit version. I heard the 64-bit version of Vista is pretty fast?

six_storm
02-26-08, 10:57 AM
Vista doesn't REALLY have features that you would be "missing". Just for laptops, you gotta have a monster machine to run Vista properly. If you get XP, you will be guaranteed a quick and snappy OS experience. If you get Vista x64, make sure you have 4GB RAM for the best results. You will do just fine either way.

LordJuanlo
02-26-08, 11:05 AM
For gaming with 2 gb of RAM I would stay with XP, the only things you may miss are DX10, but if you only play CS:S you won't need it. Maybe in the future someone makes better use of it than current games but meanwhile you will be fine. And when that moment arrives you will need 4 Gb to play confortable on Vista.

Dragunov
02-26-08, 02:40 PM
Vista w/2GB doesn't seem good for gaming. I guess if you upgraded. But then you'll want to plan ahead and get the 64bit version.

Do all the games running on Vista 32-bit work on Vista 64-bit?

thx

Viventis
02-26-08, 03:19 PM
Do all the games running on Vista 32-bit work on Vista 64-bit?

thx

Here is a good list. By the way, the BF2 Punkbuster problem goes away if you run the game as administrator.

http://www.thinktechno.com/2007/03/13/list-of-vista-compatible-games/