PDA

View Full Version : help! DirectX games not working!!

zedro
04-27-03, 06:03 PM
Yesterday I installed Unreal 2 and that went great. So I rubbed my hands together and eagerly awaited the opening cinematic. It started, and then about 10 seconds later it froze, so I pushed ESC. That worked after another few seconds, and then I decided to try and start a new game. So during the first mission movie, the game locks up, and after about 20 seconds will go again for another 2, and so on. I installed NWN and it did the same thing, along with the textures being messed up. It seems like a memory problem, but that cannot be, because I know that I have plenty of memory (1GB ram) and that I have run NWN perfectly on this machine before. Please help me! The fate of my gaming is at stake!

Specs:
2.4ghz P4
GeForce4 Ti4600 128mb
latest drivers

Matthyahuw
04-27-03, 07:07 PM
gonna need more info to go off of than that...

what have you done to your machine since it worked, and now that it doesn't work?
Updates?
Patches?
Service Packs?

If you've tried a lot, back up your data and reformat...

zedro
04-28-03, 12:31 AM
I reformatted... I now have WinXP Pro SP 1

I have reformatted this mother prolly 50 times in the last few months with all my operating system fooling around... and it'll happen again in about a week when I switch to gentoo from mandrake linux.. But I digress...

This installation of XP is pretty clean, as I have been mainly using Linux. The only things I have really installed are NWN, Unreal 2, Java, a java development environment, DirectX 9.0a, and downloaded some pictures. I have a few other misc. apps on here, but they really shouldn't affect anything.

I have Norton Systemworks with Norton Personal Firewall and Norton Antivirus running as well. Turning these off did nothing to help my problem though.

The problem looks like a memory issue. It looks as if the computer is running out of resources trying to draw, and is hanging as a result. The same thing with the messed up textures.

Also, when I was installing Neverwinter Nights, it gave me some error about not having enough memory, I'm not sure what it was, but I'll try and find the install log. In the mean time.. I hope I've given you enough to help me.

Matthyahuw
04-28-03, 03:31 AM
I've heard some systems not liking DX 9.0a, try just 9.0...

Also, running out of memory?
Try running a memory tester proggie off of a floppy like GoldMem tester...

Or maybe just re-seat the RAM, move it to a diff slot, etc...

If you can, next time you reformat, make a slipstreamed WinXP SP1a disk, then install things in this order:

OS
Chipet drivers
DirectX 9.0
video card drivers
rest o' drivers

dohcmark8
04-28-03, 06:14 AM
Are you using the latest drivers for your video card?.

zedro
04-28-03, 12:09 PM
yep, I'm using the newest ones from nvidia.com.

Alright, I'll try downgrading to 9.0... but just in case that doesn't work: What is slipstreamed?

Smokey
04-28-03, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by zedro
Yesterday I installed Unreal 2 and that went great. So I rubbed my hands together and eagerly awaited the opening cinematic. It started, and then about 10 seconds later it froze, so I pushed ESC. That worked after another few seconds, and then I decided to try and start a new game. So during the first mission movie, the game locks up, and after about 20 seconds will go again for another 2, and so on. I installed NWN and it did the same thing, along with the textures being messed up. It seems like a memory problem, but that cannot be, because I know that I have plenty of memory (1GB ram) and that I have run NWN perfectly on this machine before. Please help me! The fate of my gaming is at stake!

Specs:
2.4ghz P4
GeForce4 Ti4600 128mb
latest drivers

NWN is an OpenGL game, so I doubt that its DirectX9 ;) Is your videocard overclocked at all? Have you tried the 43.51 drivers? Have you messed around with any bios settings?

Matthyahuw
04-28-03, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by zedro
What is slipstreamed?
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=248

zedro
04-28-03, 08:40 PM
I tried downgrading DirectX and that didn't work... neither did downgrading my NVIDIA drivers to 41.09... Now my display is just kinda messed up:mad:

If anyone has any idea what my problem may be, or what I can do to solve it, I would appreciate it so much. I would prefer not having to reformat just yet... but if that is what it takes, I'm willing to go ahead.

Matthyahuw
04-28-03, 09:25 PM
maybe it's a hardware thing...software doesn't mess stuff up THAT badly...

zedro
04-28-03, 11:23 PM
It may be a hardware problem... but I don't think that that is very likely, as hardware accelerated graphics work fine for me in Linux. I will test them again in a few minutes, and try and install NWN in Linux for extra testing, but I don't think that my graphics card is dead quite yet. I think that I may end up just reinstalling Windows in an attempt to fix it.

But in any case... the problem happened in another game: Unreal Tournament G.O.T.Y. Edition

Matthyahuw
04-28-03, 11:45 PM
like I said, try a mem tester with a boot floppy...sounds fishy with you running out of RAM...

zedro
04-29-03, 10:15 PM
:headbang:
I got it to work! And all it took was a complete reinstall for all Windows and all its friends! :nana:

Now I just gotta repair LILO and I'll be set ;)

Thanks for your help guys... 'preciate it.

zedro
05-01-03, 10:45 PM
Well, it seems that I in fact did NOT fix the problem. Two reformats and several reboots later, I've found that the problem is a recurring and reproduceable one in both Windows XP and Linux. It happens with both DirectX and OpenGL based games, so I am assuming that it is a hardware problem.

Wonder if there are any fixes, or if I can get this repaired without having to spend the money on an entirely new graphics card...?

PsychoSy
05-01-03, 10:55 PM
I say its some goofy quirk with LILO between WinXP and Linux.
Afterall, you repair LILO and then that's when the games stopped working, right?

zedro
05-01-03, 11:46 PM
Yep, it looks like it was hardware. I opened 'er up and took one look at the gpu fan, or more accurately, gpu dustball and decided on trying to clean that. After sucking out about a pound (or 4.448 N for the Brits) of dust, I fired it up and eureka! Tuxracer no longer sputters after 3 seconds! I finished an entire race in and it didn't even blink!

Now I think I'll boot up into Windows and see if Quake3 works :P

Oh and a side note... After multiple reinstalls, my Unreal 2 discs will no longer install the game. It gives me a cyclic redundancy check error when it tries to get data3.cab off of the Play CD.. Someone please tell me that I don't need to shell out the money for a new game...

zedro
05-02-03, 12:06 AM
:dance:
Yep! That was the problem... Thanks for all your help and patience guys... If any of you ever have the same problem... Check your GPU Fan before reformatting a bunch of times like i did. :thumbsup:

Now... *rubs hands* Time to get down to business! (:rw: )

Thanks again

The Baron
05-02-03, 12:13 AM
You're lucky you didn't fry the video card ;)

Matthyahuw
05-02-03, 12:23 AM
LOL I know exactly what you mean zedro, I just fixed a bud's p00ter, and his whole family are heavy chain smokers, he was having lockups. I tried everything! chipset drivers, vid card drivers, and any software patch you can think of.

When that happens, good techs dig in the case, and start from scratch, so I have a habbit of cleaning while in there, and there is like a thick dust cemented by tar on the HSF of both the CPU and GPU, YUK!

just a cleaning job fixed everything!