PDA

View Full Version : GPU - Toasted at 110c?

Lozzy0603
02-27-08, 04:48 AM
I have the XFX 7950GT for AGP. As has been widely noted, the stock cooling sucks on this card.

I have had the card for a little over four months, yesterday the stock cooler fan failed whilst I was out, the comuter was idling for about five hours when I came home to check nvmon and discover the GPU was at 110 degrees c and steadily rising!

Of course I despensed with the normal slow shutdown and opened the case to let it chill out a little.

I'm waiting on a replacement stock cooler under warrentee but I won't boot it until I have that. My question is: is my GPU likely to be cooked?

I get unhappy when I see it at 70c running Crysis so 110c really makes me nervous.

I guess if it is silicone toast XFX can just replace the whole board.

P.S. When warrentee is up, I'm working on making the Jetart VC3600 fit this card, just need to drill and tap another two "universal" holes in the heatsink by my rekoning.
Memory chip placement is a sod but three of the standard heatskinks should cover all four chips on each side.

Thoughts on the tempratures and the mod appreciated. :p

Amuro
02-27-08, 05:23 AM
No need to worry. GPU throttling temps are around 115C. If it reaches that high, it will throttle by itself.

SLippe
02-27-08, 05:42 AM
Remember to always clean your case, fans, heatsinks, etc. about once a month from dust. Some video cards have a bad habit of collecting dust in the heatsink fins around the fan where you can't see it unless you take off the top plate of the card. 6800GTs were really bad about it, but anything with the thin heatsink and small fan combo can fall victim. I'm sure your card is fine, btw.

martin1841
02-28-08, 04:25 AM
I get unhappy when I see it at 70c running Crysis so 110c really makes me nervous.

70c is not so bad i think, i mean that 70c - 80c is normal temperature in 3d for geforce 8000 cards.

SLippe
02-28-08, 04:33 AM
70c is not so bad i think, i mean that 70c - 80c is normal temperature in 3d for geforce 8000 cards.
Depends on the card and case. My ol' eVGA 8800GTS KO ACS3 usually hovered around 68 or so under load.

Koko56
02-29-08, 09:21 AM
I had 105 C yesterday on my 8800GTX when my fan failed and it still seems ot work alright... :D

CaptNKILL
02-29-08, 01:45 PM
I had 105 C yesterday on my 8800GTX when my fan failed and it still seems ot work alright... :D
Is the fan still not working?

I would NOT run a card without a fan. That's just asking for early hardware failure.

Not something I'd risk with a $600 video card.

bacon12
02-29-08, 01:46 PM
I fry eggs on my GPU all the time. No worries here.

Koko56
02-29-08, 01:57 PM
Is the fan still not working?

I would NOT run a card without a fan. That's just asking for early hardware failure.

Not something I'd risk with a $600 video card.

:headexplode: :p

No, the fan started spinning almost as soon as I pressed the reset button... it was also set to 100% in Rivetuner when it was not working...:confused:

I played MoH: Airborne today and it did not seem as smooth - however I could just be picky here... oh ya - my 3DMark06 went down by about 1000 points, but I think the 8 month old XP install might be to blame here a bit, and the CPU tests went slower that usual.

I fry eggs on my GPU all the time. No worries here.
They taste alright?

Lozzy0603
03-19-08, 08:45 AM
Well, not surprisingly the card gave up after 48 hours with a replacement cooler.
I had nvmon open pretty much the whole time, the new cooler was effective and running keeping it at 55c.
The screen filled with graphics corruption as soon as I tried to start BF2 and wouldn't recover from that.

I've had to return the card under warrentee, unfortunately they're not made any more so I'm stuck with a second hand card from ebay, no warrentee.
Hope the cooler dosn't fail on this one.

I really don't understand the adversion to making high power AGP cards any more. The two most powerful, the Gainaward 7900GS 512mb and the XFX 7950GT 512mb are both no longer made...... WHY!!

I know the AGP bus is maxed out. Using a Dell box, an upgrade to PCIX for me means a new mobo, PSU, CPU and probably some serious case hackery.
A 8 series with an AGP/PCI bridge would really kill the manafacturers??????

Koko56
03-19-08, 10:30 AM
Well, not surprisingly the card gave up after 48 hours with a replacement cooler.
I had nvmon open pretty much the whole time, the new cooler was effective and running keeping it at 55c.
The screen filled with graphics corruption as soon as I tried to start BF2 and wouldn't recover from that.

I've had to return the card under warrentee, unfortunately they're not made any more so I'm stuck with a second hand card from ebay, no warrentee.

I really don't understand the adversion to making high power AGP cards any more. The two most powerful, the Gainaward 7900GS 512mb and the XFX 7950GT 512mb are both no longer made...... WHY!!

I know the AGP bus is maxed out. Using a Dell box, an upgrade to PCIX for me means a new mobo, PSU, CPU and probably some serious case hackery.

The 1950Pro would be a good option for AGP.

EciDemon
03-19-08, 10:43 AM

Im sorry to hear man, I had two of those exact same cards die on me (xfx 7950gt 512mb agp) after just 10 minutes of gaming and testing. First the original new card, and then the replacement, exactly the same. However, the fan was fine, and temperatures also ok, (around 60c iirc).

It started to artifact like there was no tomorrow and then never recoverd from that. I still have the second card, and when last I tried it, it still har artifacts all over during post.

I did some googeling a while back on the subject, seems a _fairly_ common problem with those cards.
Want my money back!.

Lozzy0603
03-19-08, 03:15 PM
Koko56 your posting about an ATI card on an NV forum?!

Yeah, I know theres some ati agp cards around, should have said I'm limiting my options strictly to NV.
Came off a 9800pro before this, hated the card, hated the ati software more.

Koko56
03-19-08, 04:03 PM
Koko56 your posting about an ATI card on an NV forum?!

Yeah, I know theres some ati agp cards around, should have said I'm limiting my options strictly to NV.
Came off a 9800pro before this, hated the card, hated the ati software more.

are u liek a fanboi or somthin? :captnkill:

rage10
03-20-08, 10:02 PM

I really don't understand the adversion to making high power AGP cards any more. The two most powerful, the Gainaward 7900GS 512mb and the XFX 7950GT 512mb are both no longer made...... WHY!! lack of customers.

A 8 series with an AGP/PCI bridge would really kill the manafacturers?????? I think that xfx did of was going to make make an agp 8xxx card but there was almost no markit for it. also most mobos with agp have lowend prossesesrs and the card would be bottlenecked with it. go pci-e you can get a low end card with it that wont need the new psu and you ill thank your self. in the short run its more expensive but in the long run, cheeper.
I'm going pci-e myself this summer :) gunna keep my current rig for backup though.:)

XxDeadlyxX
03-20-08, 10:39 PM
Does anyone have a problem where fps will suffer after the PC has been on for awhile in Vista? Yesterday it was pretty hot here, and surely enough after the PC had been on all day while I was away, playing UT3 when I came home gave me alot worse fps in open areas compared to when PC is first turned on. Today I've played for about 2 hours after I turned it on in the morning and no problems, it makes me think it's heat related.

Today my 8800gtx is idling at 60c after playing UT3 for a couple of hours, and yesterday it was 63c idle before playing anything, however it had been on for about 8 hours idle.

I have a Zalman VF1000 cooler and RHS88 too :o Temps were about 3-4c hotter with the stock cooler.

SLippe
03-20-08, 10:45 PM
Get yourself a BFG 7800GS OC.