PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide should I get 360

HiCZoK4
02-27-08, 11:39 AM
NOT ANOTHER 360 vs PC THREAD

I am thinking of buying 360, becouse of some great games But there is some things that bother me:

1.I have pc blood running in my veins for 12 years of pc owning :D Is here anyone else pcgamer who bought also console ? How does it feel ?
2.How do I avoid Red ring of death... Or maybe is this repaired in new consoles.
3.Is there a way to plug 360 to 226BW samsung display ?
4.Are demos avaible on silver or gold account ?
5.Tell me some pros and cons of having booth 360 and pc

Is it just worth of buying console if I have good pc already ?!
I am not good in making those kind of decisions and I never had any console In my entire life :headexplode: So I hope you guys here are going to help me choose right. Btw.I am good with gamepad, I play sometimes friends 360 and controls seems easy.

and one more thing. 360 and pc fanboys STOP. I want neutral anserws.
thx in advance !

jdspinna
02-27-08, 11:52 AM
1.I have pc blood running in my veins for 12 years of pc owning :D Is here anyone else pcgamer who bought also console ? I did. Been a pc gamer since the 80's. How does it feel ? I really like the convienence of putting in a game and playing without any fuss. I would never go console exclusive though, I love my PC.
2.How do I avoid Red ring of death... Or maybe is this repaired in new consoles. Have not had an issue yet. I have the newer falcon MB in my 360
3.Is there a way to plug 360 to 226BW samsung display ? VGA cable.
4.Are demos avaible on silver or gold account ? both. For now new demos come out one week later on the silver account.
5.Tell me some pros and cons of having booth 360 and pcSame as I have said above. I like having both. Some games I would rather sit and play on my 360 and some on my pc. I have some a pretty high end PC so I have never had performance issues like some who have moved to consoles for that reason. I think if you enjoy gaming period you'll enjoy having a console around.

Is it just worth of buying console if I have good pc already ?! I think so.

ViN86
02-27-08, 11:57 AM
1.I have pc blood running in my veins for 12 years of pc owning :D Is here anyone else pcgamer who bought also console ? I did. Been a pc gamer since the 80's. How does it feel ? I really like the convienence of putting in a game and playing without any fuss. I would never go console exclusive though, I love my PC.
2.How do I avoid Red ring of death... Or maybe is this repaired in new consoles. Have not had an issue yet. I have the newer falcon MB in my 360
3.Is there a way to plug 360 to 226BW samsung display ? VGA cable.
4.Are demos avaible on silver or gold account ? both. For now new demos come out one week later on the silver account.
5.Tell me some pros and cons of having booth 360 and pcSame as I have said above. I like having both. Some games I would rather sit and play on my 360 and some on my pc. I have some a pretty high end PC so I have never had performance issues like some who have moved to consoles for that reason. I think if you enjoy gaming period you'll enjoy having a console around.

Is it just worth of buying console if I have good pc already ?! I think so.
+1

i got the three rings a few days ago. i dont have a falcon MB though. i got mine in mid-2006. from what i hear, the hardware failure issues are decreasing due to the smaller process and better cooling in the new consoles. the older consoles (like mine) still have issues, though. :(

jdspinna
02-27-08, 12:18 PM
+1

i got the three rings a few days ago. i dont have a falcon MB though. i got mine in mid-2006. from what i hear, the hardware failure issues are decreasing due to the smaller process and better cooling in the new consoles. the older consoles (like mine) still have issues, though. :(

That sucks. Hope they turn it around fast for you and that you get a falcon back :). My 360 seems not to run the fans as much as some of the first gen 360s I have played.

HiCZoK4
02-27-08, 12:28 PM
So i would have to search for 360 made in late 2007 ?

saturnotaku
02-27-08, 12:33 PM
So i would have to search for 360 made in late 2007 ?

If you want an Elite model, yes. If you want an Arcade/Pro, all you need to do is find one that has an HDMI port. That will pretty much guarantee you a Falcon.

HiCZoK4
02-27-08, 12:35 PM
If you want an Elite model, yes. If you want an Arcade/Pro, all you need to do is find one that has an HDMI port. That will pretty much guarantee you a Falcon.
that is a good tip

nekrosoft13
02-27-08, 12:45 PM
1.I have pc blood running in my veins for 12 years of pc owning Is here anyone else pcgamer who bought also console ? I had 360 back in early 2007 for 3 weeks, in those 3 weeks i used it for maybe 6 hours, mostly playing demos, PGR3. Back then media capacity was a joke, didn't see a reason to keep it around.How does it feel ? is ok, like i said, back then media capacity was a joke, noisy, if you come from PC, graphics on big 1080p screen are rather bad.
2.How do I avoid Red ring of death... Or maybe is this repaired in new consoles. you can't avoid it, while old consoles where more prone to it, new ones still break as well. I have a friend that runs a huge authorized repair center for xbox, xbox 360, psp, ps2. his entire building is filled with defective 360s.
3.Is there a way to plug 360 to 226BW samsung display ? not familiar with that monitor, but since 360 can have VGA out, you can do VGA to DVI adapter.
4.Are demos avaible on silver or gold account ? don't know, since i had it for a less then a month, i was using free month of gold
5.Tell me some pros and cons of having booth 360 and pc pro would be that if game is exclusive you can play on either system, and when game is out for 360 and PC, you always have the options of playing the game on PC for added adventages like better controls, free MP, AA, AF, better textures.

HiCZoK4
02-27-08, 01:01 PM
sorry guys I decided to stick to pc at least for a while. my friends 360 just crapped out with red ring when I was posting topic. (lol good timing)

Monolyth
02-27-08, 01:12 PM
Yeah but how old was his 360? My Elite has had zero problems had it for about 5 months now.

Also if you want the true 360 experience I would have to suggest...
http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0783/6.jpg

HiCZoK4
02-27-08, 01:15 PM
This looks great !!!
his xbox was 2006 about half of 2006

NarcissistZero
02-27-08, 01:35 PM
I have a 360 and PS3... just for exclusive games though. If you're used to high res PC games then console games look pretty fugly on a large screen. Also, it annoys me you can't tweak them. Still, if there are exclusive console games you want to play and you have the cash, I would go for it... I actually suggest the PS3 because almost everything worthwhile on the 360 is also on PC and the PS3 has more console-exclusive titles, but that's your call...

One thing to watch out for is buying games you know will come to PC, you might end up getting them twice. I bought Gears of War on both, and will buy Mass Effect again on PC... you have to be patient or prepared to buy it twice, or just live with the inferior version.

Lyme
02-27-08, 03:44 PM
Typically the biggest thing to get used to when going to a console is the use of a gamepad for FPS's. Some have a very hard time getting used to that, but I have managed to pick it up reasonably well.

Otherwise one of the big driving factors for people to move to a console, is you can easily skip out on the yearly pc upgrade to play all the new games. Consoles typically go for five years before the next one comes out, so you can skip the yearly upgrades and spend your money on games.

The downside for consoles is that most mmorpgs are on PC's and not consoles, and WoW isn't likely to come to the consoles anytime soon.

btw: A RROD isn't a huge issue, but it is a pain. If your console dies to a RROD, you have a default three year replacement warranty on it from MS. The pain is the turn around time for sending it in, and getting a replacement.

nVJoe
02-27-08, 06:02 PM
The biggest advantage to getting a console over a PC is renting games. Most games can be finished with in a week of playing. Today you can rent a game at $6. Think about that. If you had a PC you would have to buy the game and hope that you like it. If you don't you are out $50 bucks. Then all you can do is trade the game for half its cost for in store credit or less for cash. Either way it is a losing investment, unless you really like the game and want to play it online if it has that in the game.

Badboy_12345
02-28-08, 06:13 AM

1.I have pc blood running in my veins for 12 years of pc owning :D Is here anyone else pcgamer who bought also console ? How does it feel ?
2.How do I avoid Red ring of death... Or maybe is this repaired in new consoles.

1. I have pc, x360, ps3, wii so yes I bought all of them :)
I like to play some games on console and some great games are exclusive to consoles. I like playing on my pc and consoles.

2. New unites dont suffer from RROD as much as the first ones. The good thing is to get extra warranty at the store you bought it. I bought my x360 when it got released and have had 2 RROD's took me 20 min each time to get to the store get a new one and get back home ;) And the last time I got one with HDMI :D

3. Yes vga

4. yes but gold accounts get new demos 1 week before silver. And gold isnt expensive at all $50/year

5. pros: you have access to exclusive games that arent being released on pc, its much more comfortable to play on consoles no configurering games and worrying about if they will work and get good fps. Consoles games just run.
IMO xbox live is much better than pc online.
cons: you will not have as much time playing pc games :p

saturnotaku
02-28-08, 07:57 AM
The biggest advantage to getting a console over a PC is renting games. Most games can be finished with in a week of playing. Today you can rent a game at $6. Think about that. If you had a PC you would have to buy the game and hope that you like it. If you don't you are out $50 bucks. Then all you can do is trade the game for half its cost for in store credit or less for cash. Either way it is a losing investment, unless you really like the game and want to play it online if it has that in the game.

This is why I subscribe to Gamefly. I don't have nearly as much time for gaming as I used to. Renting from a Hollywood Video or (Heaven forbid) Blockbuster locks you in to having to return the game in 5-7 days. There's no such pressure with Gamefly, and if you really like a title and want to keep it, the cost to buy from them is a lot less than a used copy at Gamestop or EB (even with their discount card). If you want to keep a game, you pay for it, and Gamefly then sends you the box and instruction book. It's a pretty sweet deal for $16-22/month.

At $16/month to have a single game out versus $60+tax/shipping to purchase at retail, that equates to four months. The longest I've kept a game before either beating it or becoming bored with it is one month. As far as shipping, it typically takes 2-3 days to send a game back. Gamefly is good about processing returns right away and shipping new titles out the same day, thus taking 2-3 days to get a new one.

The only time I ever rent from a major chain is if I get a gift card or free rental coupon.

Xav
02-29-08, 10:12 AM

I am thinking of buying 360, becouse of some great games But there is some things that bother me:

I am not good in making those kind of decisions and I never had any console In my entire life :headexplode: So I hope you guys here are going to help me choose right. Btw.I am good with gamepad, I play sometimes friends 360 and controls seems easy.

and one more thing. 360 and pc fanboys STOP. I want neutral anserws.
thx in advance !

Been a hardcore PC gamer the last 13 years as well and I think there is room for both... I wouldn't give up my 360.

The ability to stream files via the network to the 360 from the PC so i can play them on the stereo/big screen in the living room is a huge plus. I watched several new episodes of Bleach last night this way and it's great!

The exclusive games are always there and just like with GoW the PC ports don't always run well and you have to wait a year or more to get them. I like getting the big titles when they release.

RRoD...not as big a deal with the newer consoles...the chances of getting it are halved they say. Do what I did and get the $39 warranty at BB and if it dies then you can just hang onto your hard drive and swap the console itself out for a new one right there on the spot. Slap your hard drive back on and you're set.

I think you'll really enjoy it.