PDA

View Full Version : Weird RAID Problem

einstein_314
02-27-08, 06:29 PM
Ok so this has been happening for a couple months now. On my main rig (see sig below) I have a RAID-1 array using two Seagate 7200.10 320GB hard drives. This is my documents drive. I'm using RAID-1 for it's redundancy...I've had some bad luck in the past with hard drives randomly failing and losing stuff. The RAID card I'm using uses the JMICRON JMB36X RAID controller and is PCIE 1x.

My problem is that every few days (it seems) when my computer boots up, when I get into the OS (Vista x64) my documents drive (the array) is seen as read only. Like something hardware wise is locking it to be read only. Nothing I do can fix it from within the OS. To fix this usually I just have to reboot and it will work fine. Although sometimes it takes a few reboots before it works.

Anyone had this problem before? Suggestions to fix it? It's really a bit PITA.

Thanks!

XDanger
02-27-08, 06:40 PM
I use my JMicron slot for my dvd-rw,
Im just not as brave as you to trust JM with actual data.

stncttr908
02-27-08, 08:41 PM
LOL I have a RAID 0 on a JMicron controller. I'm building a RAID5 server soon enough so I can sleep better knowing my data is safe.

Anyway, any reason you're not using your onboard Intel ICH8R? That would probably be a safer bet.

einstein_314
02-27-08, 10:01 PM
LOL I have a RAID 0 on a JMicron controller. I'm building a RAID5 server soon enough so I can sleep better knowing my data is safe.

Anyway, any reason you're not using your onboard Intel ICH8R? That would probably be a safer bet.
Well yes actually. Initially I was. But I decided to play it safe and use an add-in card for RAID because that was when I upgrade motherboards or something I can just put the card in the new computer and it will recognize my array. If I use onboard, chances are my next mobo will have a different RAID controller and I'll have to screw around with getting it to work properly.

At least I think I would.....wouldn't I? Or can I just swap these 2 HD's to a different RAID controller, tell it they're RAID-1'd and have it work? I didn't think it would work like that.