PDA

View Full Version : DOA GTX from Evga...

Pages : [1] 2

Roliath
02-29-08, 07:50 PM
Just got my GTX back from RMA to EVGA and well took out the ATi card, wiped the drive installed Vista 64 Ultimate, installed drivers, updates, directx, etc..
Installed Crysis, red artifacts all over the screen, tried another driver set, same issues..

About to pull the card and test it in another computer and see if the problem persists.

I've had no luck lately with Nvidia Cards, the x2 has changed my entire opinion lately on NV products :-(

I called Evga and spoke with them on this issue and they told me to continue testing and if it still fails to RMA it.
But that leaves me paying for shipping once again and waiting two more weeks for the card to get back to me.
If it wasn't for their warranties, i'd have bought elsewhere.

/rant off

Xion X2
02-29-08, 08:28 PM
For whatever reason, Nvidia falls behind in quality control quite regularly. They may have better performing products than ATI, but their quality control is really lacking.

Tough luck with your card. I hope you can get it replaced soon.

jeffmd
03-01-08, 09:52 AM
yea when I was with my back and forth fiasco with evga on the 7800GS SO AGP, one of those cards was DOA too. :(

After about the first return, I was able to request a UPS shipping lable to print out for subsequent returns. However I noted that when I registered my 8800gtx, in order to get free shipping for returns you need to purchase an additional warantee now.

Roliath
03-01-08, 11:43 AM
I put this GTX into another rig and tested it, and I wasn't able to see any artifacting in Crysis. however the infamous "driver stopped responding" would happen every few minutes regardless of the driver set. Put it back into my original rig and same stuff with flashing textures/polygons in Crysis.

I'm calling EVGA today and hoping they can rectify this situation because as it stands now this card is absolutely useless (driver stops responding even sitting at windows desktop).

I seriously cannot believe the luck i've had with this, and how this issue isn't fixed/talked about more is beyond me.

I'm absolutely done with Nvidia and i'll stick with My Ati from now on, please keep in mind that my 3870x2 runs FLAWLESS and gives me NO errors/crashes/etc.. It runs games "how they're meant to be played"

Dr.Nick
03-01-08, 12:02 PM
I rma'd my ACS3 GTX with eVGA four freakin times before I gave up. Their replacement cards are an absolute joke and so is their rma department.

nV`andrew
03-01-08, 12:11 PM
I'm absolutely done with Nvidia and i'll stick with My Ati from now on, please keep in mind that my 3870x2 runs FLAWLESS and gives me NO errors/crashes/etc.. It runs games "how they're meant to be played"

Then you shouldn't have bought the GTX in the first place :headexplode:

Dr.Nick
03-01-08, 12:16 PM
Then you shouldn't have bought the GTX in the first place :headexplode:

I didn't see the line you quoted there. I'm sure Roliath isn't blaming nVidia for eVGA sucking arse. Or is he? :headexplode:

Roliath
03-01-08, 12:21 PM
It isn't their fault, its Vista + Nvidia.
The card worked without an Issue for about a year, than ..................
Saying that I shouldn't bought a GTX in the first place isn't a good argument seeing as how it worked originally. Now it flat out refuses to work the way it SHOULD.

I was one of the ones who bought the GTX when it was $649.99, now it literally is a novelty in my computer.

I'm just hoping EVGA does right by this doa card, and rectifies the situation.

jAkUp
03-01-08, 12:56 PM
Send me a PM :)

Roliath
03-01-08, 01:16 PM
Sent,
Jakup, out of complete curiousity have you experienced the "driver stopped responding" issue on your Tri-SLI setup? What driver set are you currently running?

Xion X2
03-01-08, 02:27 PM
I didn't see the line you quoted there. I'm sure Roliath isn't blaming nVidia for eVGA sucking arse. Or is he? :headexplode:
eVGA only takes the Nvidia reference boards and assembles them. If the design is flawed, or if they're provided with defective parts from Nvidia, then that isn't eVGA's fault.

And when you look at the vast amounts of motherboard/graphic card failures over the past few years from Nvidia, you cannot blame a single vendor like eVGA for these types of issues. All vendors (BFG, XFX, eVGA etc.) have had their failures.

Dr.Nick
03-01-08, 02:45 PM
eVGA only takes the Nvidia reference boards and assembles them. If the design is flawed, or if they're provided with defective parts from Nvidia, then that isn't eVGA's fault.

And when you look at the vast amounts of motherboard/graphic card failures over the past few years from Nvidia, you cannot blame a single vendor like eVGA for these types of issues. All vendors (BFG, XFX, eVGA etc.) have had their failures.

huh? Where is the flawed design? I was thought this was all about shi$ty replacements from eVGA. And yes, nVidia cards die a lot more than any one elses:confused:

Edit- Also the "driver not responding" is not due to any flawed design or every one would be having them...

hemmy
03-01-08, 02:50 PM
Saying you are not going to use something from NVIDIA because you got a few bad eggs is very retarded IMO.

Same thing goes with any company really. If companies are KNOWN for putting out cheap duds that would make sense, but most computer companies aren't.

Bearclaw
03-01-08, 03:33 PM
Talk to EVGA, the should be able to replace it for you.

Blacklash
03-01-08, 05:38 PM
HD 3870 X2 blows hard. I dumped mine after less than a week of owning it. I am just glad I was able to find a sucker to buy it because Newegg doesn't accept them back for a refund.

On board Crossfire caused the card to perform less than a single HD 3870 in far too many titles.

Want the list? > SupCom, Gothic 3, NWN2, Need for Speed: Pro Street, WiC on the DX10 path with AA, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Tomb Raider: Legend, Hitman: Blood Money, Hellgate: London, and Jericho with edge smoothing active. There may be more.

I got crazy stutter in The Witcher in the Trade and Temple Quarters with the X2. Crysis played fine on the DX9 path except my FPS fluctuated wildly for no reason. On the DX10 path in Crysis I got flashing distance textures.

It had a decent 3dmock06 score-
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4997365

Too bad I didn't get that return in most of the games I play. This article reflects some of what I experienced-
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd3870-x2.html

I've had the GTX in my sig in my main rig since they were released and have been overclocking the heck out it. It's still going strong.

You think the grass is greener of the other side? Prepare to be disappointed, unless you sit around and play "Rainbow 6:Vegas" all day and night.

Xion X2
03-01-08, 05:58 PM
huh? Where is the flawed design? I was thought this was all about shi$ty replacements from eVGA. And yes, nVidia cards die a lot more than any one elses:confused:
You can't be a doctor. You act too stupid.

Where the hell do you think eVGA gets their replacement parts from? The graphics fairy?

Edit- Also the "driver not responding" is not due to any flawed design or every one would be having them..

Oh yes it can be. I've seen defective cards have this issue before.

crainger
03-01-08, 06:11 PM
Talk to EVGA, the should be able to replace it for you.

Read above. jAkUp is handling this one personally. ::D:

Roliath
03-01-08, 07:23 PM
Read above. jAkUp is handling this one personally. ::D:

We'll see how this whole situation unfolds.
I don't expect much if anything to happen being that it is the weekend, but I was told i'd get an email on monday when I talked to Customer Service earlier this morning.

Roliath
03-01-08, 07:38 PM
HD 3870 X2 blows hard. I dumped mine after less than a week of owning it. I am just glad I was able to find a sucker to buy it because Newegg doesn't accept them back for a refund.

On board Crossfire caused the card to perform less than a single HD 3870 in far too many titles.

Want the list? > SupCom, Gothic 3, NWN2, Need for Speed: Pro Street, WiC on the DX10 path with AA, Lost Planet: Extreme Condition, Tomb Raider: Legend, Hitman: Blood Money, Hellgate: London, and Jericho with edge smoothing active. There may be more.

I got crazy stutter in The Witcher in the Trade and Temple Quarters with the X2. Crysis played fine on the DX9 path except my FPS fluctuated wildly for no reason. On the DX10 path in Crysis I got flashing distance textures.

It had a decent 3dmock06 score-
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm06=4997365

Too bad I didn't get that return in most of the games I play. This article reflects some of what I experienced-
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd3870-x2.html

I've had the GTX in my sig in my main rig since they were released and have been overclocking the heck out it. It's still going strong.

You think the grass is greener of the other side? Prepare to be disappointed, unless you sit around and play "Rainbow 6:Vegas" all day and night.
At this point, stability makes up for the loss of performance.
What would you use my computer since it crashes/artifacts while playing games? Open up solitaire or minesweeper?
While i'm not thrilled to be switching to the ATi card, it works. Flat out.

crainger
03-01-08, 09:15 PM
We'll see how this whole situation unfolds.
I don't expect much if anything to happen being that it is the weekend, but I was told i'd get an email on monday when I talked to Customer Service earlier this morning.

Well best of luck. I know what it's like. I had my 6800GT die, I sent it away for 3 months, I got a new one back, it too was dead. Sent it away, in the end they told me I couldn't replace it. Though it worked out well, they refunded the cost of the card when I bought it new. ::D:

Roliath
03-01-08, 10:17 PM
Well best of luck. I know what it's like. I had my 6800GT die, I sent it away for 3 months, I got a new one back, it too was dead. Sent it away, in the end they told me I couldn't replace it. Though it worked out well, they refunded the cost of the card when I bought it new. ::D:

I was one of the ones who bought the GTX when it was $649.99, now it literally is a novelty in my computer.

hehe, that'll work too :)

Dr.Nick
03-01-08, 11:52 PM
You can't be a doctor. You act too stupid.

Where the hell do you think eVGA gets their replacement parts from? The graphics fairy?

Oh yes it can be. I've seen defective cards have this issue before.

Take it easy there Mr. Einstein x2. You think the replacement card you get from eVGA or XFX was not used before you? nVidia's part in that story ended in the previous paragraph when they provided evga with working cards.
The point is eVGA is reusing cards that should not be reused and I'm sure they are not alone. And whats the whole design flaw comment?
Also don't take forum names literally. Like what would that make you? A black dude in a black cave surrounded by other black sweaty dudes yelling "Hear Me!"?

haloeighty8
03-01-08, 11:58 PM
At this point, stability makes up for the loss of performance.
What would you use my computer since it crashes/artifacts while playing games? Open up solitaire or minesweeper?
While i'm not thrilled to be switching to the ATi card, it works. Flat out.

Not trying to turn this thread away from it's intended topic.. or start some sort of whats better war. But I actually just sold my 8800 ultra's and picked up a 3870x2 and honestly I couldn't be happier. I've yet to find any game that 'I play' that has any sort of performance impact, running at 2560x1600. They all seem to run fine, image quality seems to be a bit nicer and so far so good. I'm waiting to see how the next set of drivers pan out, then maybe I'll get another 3870x2. I wanted to get away from the nvidia chipset and try out a x38 as well, now maybe when the 9xxx series come out I'll see how those go. But for now, it's all good.

Xion X2
03-02-08, 12:01 AM
Take it easy there Mr. Einstein x2. You think the replacement card you get from eVGA or XFX was not used before you? nVidia's part in that story ended in the previous paragraph when they provided evga with working cards.

You really are a doofus, aren't you? Take a look at that last sentence of yours again and realize here that the subject is cards that are defective in the first place. So, #1--Nvidia did not provide them with "working cards"; they provided them with a defective product right off the bat.

The point is eVGA is reusing cards that should not be reused and I'm sure they are not alone.

Do you honestly believe that eVGA and these other Nvidia vendors are issuing "reused" cards without Nvidia's authorization? Nvidia oversees everything that they do; they are in a binding contract with them.

K007
03-02-08, 12:07 AM

Remember the GF7 series issue? OMG -.-...what a headache that was...in the end i went from a GTX to a GX2...

From memory i think we tried 4-5 cards. 3 @ the store brand new out of the box and they all died/suffered memory issues, and not same brand either. I sure hope the GF9 series wont have that issue because that is what i want to get next...