PDA

View Full Version : Time to build another awesome rig!

PlayerZen14
02-29-08, 07:49 PM
I'm gonna be co-building this amazing computer for one of my buddies. He's mega-rich and has a budget of about 50k HKD (thats about 6125 USD), so this is what ill be building (btw, since its only my second time building a pc, my other friend, a more experienced enthusiast, is going to do most of it, hence calling myself a 'co-builder'):

QX9650 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

Asus Striker 2 Formula

OCZ ReaperX DDR2 1066 1gb x 4

XFX 8800GTS 512MB XXX x2 in SLi (was going to go 3-way 8800ultra but the scaling on that isnt good, plus, its expensive. Very tempting to match up to JakUp tho...:p )

WD 74GB raptor for boot
WD 500gb x2 for storage

LG 20x DVDRW w/SATA x2
Sony Blu-ray 4x writer

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 or CM Stacker 832

CM real power pro 1000W modular

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
Logitech G15
Logitech G5/mx518
Samsung 27"

note: we're not getting watercooling or a sound card because those are too hard for my friend to manage :o

cant wait :D

hokeyplyr48
02-29-08, 08:13 PM
hold out for some 9 series cards. or at least get some gtx's in SLI. gts's with a 6k budget?...makes sense

PlayerZen14
02-29-08, 08:58 PM
gtx's in sli and gts's in sli have almost the same performance, except the gts's are cheaper. i would wait for the 9 series, but my friend doesnt. remember, its not even my computer so im not to decide :(.

Amuro
02-29-08, 08:58 PM
This bord doesn't like 1066 memory, with the current BIOS at least. I recommend you get something like the 2x2GB in my sig. I have the reaper HTC edtion that I bought from ebay as well, which is just the same memory but different cooling method.

Also, you need a fan blowing over the northbridge area otherwise you won't be able to run stable even at stock 1333FSB. When I got errors in memtest and prime95 blend test, I thougt my RAM was bad, so I bought some OCZ XTC RAM with same rated speed local (Hong Kong doesn't have the Reaper edition), but it turned out the RAM wasn't the problem. It was the northbridge overheating.

PlayerZen14
03-02-08, 04:25 AM
This bord doesn't like 1066 memory, with the current BIOS at least. I recommend you get something like the 2x2GB in my sig. I have the reaper HTC edtion that I bought from ebay as well, which is just the same memory but different cooling method.

Also, you need a fan blowing over the northbridge area otherwise you won't be able to run stable even at stock 1333FSB. When I got errors in memtest and prime95 blend test, I thougt my RAM was bad, so I bought some OCZ XTC RAM with same rated speed local (Hong Kong doesn't have the Reaper edition), but it turned out the RAM wasn't the problem. It was the northbridge overheating.

It was actually really difficult to get hold of the Striker 2 formula because no shop in Sham Shui Po stocked it, so we called a shop in MK, and they sent their board over to Sham Shui Po within a half hour :D .

quite a few things we changed- we got the OCZ ReaperX 2x2gb kit instead of the 4x1. Bought the Lian Li PC-P80 instead of the stacker 832. Got a Lite-on 2x blu-ray writer because we couldnt find the sony or pioneer bluray writer. Couldnt find the CM real power pro 1000w modular psu so got the enermax galaxy 1000w modular. Again, we couldnt find the samsung 27", so we got a viewsonic 28" VX2835wm. Mx518 was out of stock so bought a g5 instead.

the ram seems to work fine on the asus m/b, although since we only used vista home premium 32bit OS, only 3gb showed up. Also, doesnt the northbridge already have a load of heatpipes? or is that not enough to keep it cool.

I'll post some pictures of what we've done, and how much space there was left in the pc-p80 even afterward :p . Wish i could have it :(

PlayerZen14
03-02-08, 04:48 AM
forgot to post the 3dmark06 benchmarks:

3dmark06 @ default (1280x1024 no filters)- 15800-16000

3dmark06 @ 1920x1200 with no filters- 14800-14900

Amuro
03-02-08, 05:03 AM
I always buy from Hornington, the distributor, directly for any Asus, Corsair, Coolermaster, stuff. Very nice serivce. :)

PlayerZen14
03-02-08, 05:04 AM
to see the pics, go to http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=94899

this is the thread my friend (the 'main' builder) started. there are still pics to come.

Amuro
03-02-08, 05:24 AM
About the northbridge, the heatpipes aren't enough to cool it. You need some kinda active cooling. I use an Antec Spot Cool fan.

TheBigOne
03-02-08, 07:41 PM
I'm gonna be co-building this amazing computer for one of my buddies. He's mega-rich and has a budget of about 50k HKD (thats about 6125 USD), so this is what ill be building (btw, since its only my second time building a pc, my other friend, a more experienced enthusiast, is going to do most of it, hence calling myself a 'co-builder'):

QX9650 w/ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme

Asus Striker 2 Formula

OCZ ReaperX DDR2 1066 1gb x 4

XFX 8800GTS 512MB XXX x2 in SLi (was going to go 3-way 8800ultra but the scaling on that isnt good, plus, its expensive. Very tempting to match up to JakUp tho...:p )

WD 74GB raptor for boot
WD 500gb x2 for storage

LG 20x DVDRW w/SATA x2
Sony Blu-ray 4x writer

Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 or CM Stacker 832

CM real power pro 1000W modular

Logitech Z-5500 5.1 speakers
Logitech G15
Logitech G5/mx518
Samsung 27"

note: we're not getting watercooling or a sound card because those are too hard for my friend to manage :o

cant wait :DGo with the 790i chipset, 780i is bad for overclocking and doesn't like the QX9650 very much had that board and had to turn on/off the power just to get the thing to post reflash bios never fix problem,so when x38 chipset no problem at all. if you want 8800gts then go 790i chipset, And would look into watercooling if you are planning on overclocking.

crainger
03-02-08, 07:55 PM
If he is so mega-rich, how about you guys build some for us too. ::D:

Amuro
03-02-08, 08:02 PM
Go with the 790i chipset, 780i is bad for overclocking and doesn't like the QX9650 very much had that board and had to turn on/off the power just to get the thing to post reflash bios never fix problem,so when x38 chipset no problem at all. if you want 8800gts then go 790i chipset, And would look into watercooling if you are planning on overclocking.
Maybe you got a dud? My board works very well with the QX9650. People either get a board that works very well or one that doesn't work at all. Asus is hit or miss these days. I had a dud x38 Maximus Formula from Asus last year.

PlayerZen14
03-03-08, 01:37 AM
If he is so mega-rich, how about you guys build some for us too. ::

pay up ;)

we charged our rich friend about 1500HKD for the build (roughly 190USD) depending on how much the computer costs. i didnt do much of the building so i didnt ask for the money. dont mind too much since its almost an honor just to build it for him, and to get some first-hand experience on some parts which i may buy in the future :D.

StOkEdGaMeR
03-03-08, 03:08 AM
Dang....$6000 could a really really long way!

CapnKirk
03-03-08, 03:33 AM

Heh, just put in 2x1gig sticks of my Corsair 1066 ram, have the quad set.
I ran a test install of vista with 2x1gig sticks of the 800 ram, guess I'll see what happens.

Once I knew it worked, I changed some cables and cleaned up the sloppy stuff that I found.
Wire management, etc..

Do you have your NB fan blowing into the heatsink or sucking heat away from it?

I always have mine sucking heat away from the heatsink otherwise you just blow the heat back into the motherboard plus other things in the area.

And how much did your NB temps drop?