PDA

View Full Version : Need for Speed Most Wanted - Stutter

mickcox64
03-01-08, 08:24 AM
For a long time I searched for a solution to the stutter issue when playing Need for Speed Most Wanted. I found many references to the issue and many suggestions on how to eliminate or reduce it but unfortunately none of them worked. I then stumbled upon something that, for me, removed the stutter completely and this I would like to share with you. It may not work for everyone but it may be the something that you have missed and I suggest you try if all else has failed. MAKE SURE THAT VSYNC IS DISABLED! Please post a reply if this has improved your gameplay....

AthlonXP1800
03-01-08, 08:37 AM
Post your full PC spec please so we will have better idea where the shuttering come from. I played the demo before, never had shuttering issue.

jeffmd
03-01-08, 09:56 AM
are you running windows 2k?

mickcox64
03-01-08, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure why you're asking these questions, I no longer have a problem with stutter. I found that disabling vsync eliminated the issue and I now have smooth gameplay. I thought that there may be other Most Wanted fans that could benefit from this information.....

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-01-08, 03:23 PM
I disable VSync in all games, VSync is annoying.

jeffmd
03-01-08, 05:16 PM
tearing is annoying too ^^

crainger
03-01-08, 05:33 PM
I love my vsync (hate tearing). I just use D3D overrider to enable tripple buffering to avoid stutters.

XDanger
03-01-08, 05:52 PM
I remember NFSU had stutter due to it being designed for a low memory environment, Dumbest thing I ever heard of.

SeriTonin
03-01-08, 05:54 PM
I had this stutter on my old system back in the g7 days, I remember enabling triple buffering in the advanced drivers section, smoothed out a lot of my issues.

K007
03-01-08, 06:14 PM
I am still on CRT..so i never come across / seen these 'tearing' things...no vsync for me too ><

jeffmd
03-01-08, 06:45 PM
crt shows tearing too. infact lcd may or may not show tearing (and sometimes it shows it in odd ways), but crt its allways the same.

XDanger, I only encountered massive stuttering (usualy after reloading the streets..like entering a race or leaving a garage) in windows 2k. It was really odd, I reformated and still couldnt fix it. Decided to try winxp (this btw was when I was playing NFSU2, although the stuttering was in both 1 and 2) and the stuttering disappeared. That was the day I pretty much gave up 2k for XP.

mickcox64
03-02-08, 08:15 AM
Thanks for all the feed back! I agree, tearing is annoying but prefer it to stutter. I haven't tried triple buffering but I will give that a go with the vsync enabled. I'll let you know if there is any stutter. I hope this works as I do like to scream around the streets in Most Wanted!!!

mickcox64
03-02-08, 03:26 PM
WOW! I love triple buffering! This is the best experience of Most Wanted I have ever had! No tearing and only a very slight stutter which is very few and far between! Thanks for the great info! I enabled triple buffering using the Rivatuner D3D overrider tool, Recommended.....

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-02-08, 08:38 PM
crt shows tearing too. infact lcd may or may not show tearing (and sometimes it shows it in odd ways), but crt its allways the same.

XDanger, I only encountered massive stuttering (usualy after reloading the streets..like entering a race or leaving a garage) in windows 2k. It was really odd, I reformated and still couldnt fix it. Decided to try winxp (this btw was when I was playing NFSU2, although the stuttering was in both 1 and 2) and the stuttering disappeared. That was the day I pretty much gave up 2k for XP.

Zero tearing with my monitor. I run 1280x1024@85Hz and smooth as can be (and no VSync).

crainger
03-02-08, 08:50 PM
WOW! I love triple buffering! This is the best experience of Most Wanted I have ever had! No tearing and only a very slight stutter which is very few and far between! Thanks for the great info! I enabled triple buffering using the Rivatuner D3D overrider tool, Recommended.....

Now you're thinking with Portals. ::D:

nekrosoft13
03-04-08, 07:23 AM

D3D overrider is a great tool, just becareful with valve games and punkbuster enabled games. Some versions of punkbuster might detect it as a hack,

adamove
06-08-08, 09:56 AM
For a long time I searched for a solution to the stutter issue when playing Need for Speed Most Wanted. I found many references to the issue and many suggestions on how to eliminate or reduce it but unfortunately none of them worked. I then stumbled upon something that, for me, removed the stutter completely and this I would like to share with you. It may not work for everyone but it may be the something that you have missed and I suggest you try if all else has failed. MAKE SURE THAT VSYNC IS DISABLED! Please post a reply if this has improved your gameplay....

yes disabling v-sync help but most help is from high framrate if you have more than 40 constant there is very little stutter, belove stutter all the time its just how the engine was writen, in carbon its the same

Medion
06-08-08, 05:12 PM
I'm just curious, but what does this D3D overider tool do for Triple Buffering? Isn't that a feature that you can enable in the NVIDIA CP?

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 09:22 AM
nv control panel can only enable TB in openGL.

because of directx guidelines you can't enable TB from outside the game, only game developer has the ability to enable TB in Directx games.
In reality that is un-true and is prooven with D3D overider tool.

SLippe
06-09-08, 09:27 AM
Does Punkbuster with Rainbow Six Vegas detect D3D Overrider Tool as a hack? It's about the only game I play with Punkbuster enabled. If not, how do I set this Tool up?

nekrosoft13
06-09-08, 09:33 AM
almost all games with punkbuster will detect it as a hack. wall hacks use the same method.