PDA

View Full Version : Review of Devastation

1stFlight
04-28-03, 09:15 AM
I got to thinking it'd be nice to see some consumer level reviews of games around here so I think I'll start off with my review of the retail version of Devastation

I have to say the game, the imagery, and the plot thus far are excellent (I've made it through the 1st Chapter). The gameplay is involving, to the point where even though there are signifcant bugs(I'll cover those later), there's something about the game that keeps me from putting it down. The plot also keeps me drawn in, I find myself wondering who's really on my side and just how this story will unfold.

The environment is immersive. To look at it, it looks just the way it's billed too ...destroyed :) . There is crap everywhere, ruined buildings, and vehicles. The outdoor and indoor environments are also quite attention grabbing, there's are several places that you just have to stop and admire for a few before coming under fire

The drawbacks, well all the other reviews said it was buggy, well it is. Even after the 66MB patch, these bugs still remain. You have guns you can't reload, to characters that die and fall through walls. It also has some significant AI bugs, with teammates that are at times too brave (They'll run headlong into any firefight), to times when they won't follow you. However, at least they don't get in your way. Other times you'll kill an adversary and they'll just vanish at that point. Odd to say the least.

Some other faults are the way adversaries duck and cover, they all do it the same way. To the way your teammates whine when shot, really it's a whine, not much distinction there.

All in all it's a good game but it defiantely has a beta feel to it. With that I'd have to give it a 6 out 10 , hopefully I'll have a better opinion of it after the next patch. Hope you enjoyed reading my review.

Smokey
04-28-03, 12:57 PM
Good review, but it was missing something.....

Every review has screenshots :p

If you dont have anywhere to host 2-3 screenshots, I should be able to host them for you ;)

digitalwanderer
04-28-03, 01:58 PM
I'm a little further than you are in the game, but I pretty much agree with ya. I haven't experienced very many bugs though, it's been a pretty clean playing game for me. (It's patched)

My only 'complaint' would be it's pretty ridiculously linear, I didn't find that much room for exploring. It was like there was a big white line drawn down the entire game that I was following along. If you don't know which way to go, go the only way you can. :rolleyes:

Aside from that I am enjoying it, it's much better than Postal2 for play value/entertainment. (I got Postal2 at about the same time, I'm always gonna be stuck comparing the two. )

One REALLY nice thing about the game is it's load times and over-all nice smooth play. The levels load quicker than I'd believe possible, and it has that nice "console-smoothness" feel to it for me on Bubbles. :)

1stFlight
04-29-03, 03:56 PM
You're right! How do I take screenshots in the game?

Originally posted by Smokey
Good review, but it was missing something.....

Every review has screenshots :p

If you dont have anywhere to host 2-3 screenshots, I should be able to host them for you ;)

Smokey
04-29-03, 04:27 PM
You can always use fraps ;)