PDA

View Full Version : Private chat in Team Fortress 2??

ryan29121
03-01-08, 08:12 PM
I just recently purchased a microphone (my first ever) to talk and play tf2 with my brother in a different city. Is there a way where you can communicate to a single person without having to talk to everyone on the server? I know in Steam you can set up a "phone call," but that only stays active momentarily and doesn't seem to work in game. I heard something about special programs that are like voice instant messaging that could possibly do what I need. Is there anyway to get this to work? Thanks in advance for your help.

ChaoticNick
03-01-08, 09:10 PM
The "call" feature in Xfire, or make a private Ventrilo server.

odin318
03-01-08, 11:48 PM
ive used the VOIP chat feature in GRAW2.

ryan29121
03-02-08, 07:24 PM
is there any that work like a private chat room that you can have multiple people join? Can these be set up where you have to press a certain button to talk?

stncttr908
03-02-08, 09:19 PM
is there any that work like a private chat room that you can have multiple people join? Can these be set up where you have to press a certain button to talk?
Ventrilo and Teamspeak do these things. The client and server software are both free.

Unstable_Hero
03-02-08, 09:23 PM
xfire is what you want. You can call him, see what game hes playing and server hes on, and join him with one click.

If your going to have a group of people talking then you need teamspeak or ventrilo server, you can run one from your desktop computer. But this can get pretty complicated.

bob saget
03-03-08, 02:27 AM
the steam chat is pretty good to use, unless you are talking with other people (other then your brother).
-add him in friends
-start chat window with him
-call him, and use voice chat
-then select te hands-free option
-minimize the window

EDIT: I see you know about the voice chat option in steam, but if you select "hands-free", you can talk, uniterrupted. He will hear everything coming out of your mouth, (which is why maybe its not good if you are talking with more people then your brother). But convenient, because you dont have to press ay other keys.

bacon12
03-03-08, 04:05 PM
My clan uses vent, and we have about seven channels on our server. I also use steam, and xfire for contacting friends with them.

jolle
03-03-08, 05:31 PM
I also recommend using Ventrilo.
The current version of the server is free for up to 8 users, we´re using the older version with the 2.1.4 client, with is unlimited.
Pretty easy to set up, and the server is just a command promt, with all the settings in a ini file.