PDA

View Full Version : Soooo...

Pages : [1] 2

Redeemed
03-02-08, 12:58 PM
I just purchased WiC yesterday. And I can only achieve a near constant 30fps in the game on "medium" settings. Now, I've heard that WiC is heavily CPU limited... is that true? Or are my 8800s just not up for the task of WiC in all its glory... kinda' like Crysis?

If WiC is just heavily CPU limited on my rig... what proc would you guys recommend I upgrade to? I've already purchased an E6600 from Magus that I play to run at 3.2GHz+. Would that be sufficient CPU power to play WiC on atleast "High" settings? Or would I benefit more by selling the E6600 for whatever I can get and going with something like a Q6600 or the Q9450 whenever it comes out?

Zapablast05
03-02-08, 01:45 PM
Have you tried any patches?

Redeemed
03-02-08, 10:28 PM
Have you tried any patches?
:headexplode:

No, I haven't. So you think my FX-60 (Stock) is plenty CPU for this game on max?

crainger
03-02-08, 10:33 PM
It might be. I know I can run the game maxxxxed out on my Q6600, so if you want a recommendation. Get a Q6600. ::D:

stncttr908
03-02-08, 10:45 PM
I can play on high (DX9/XP) around 30fps, but things really choke with a lot of action on the screen. I would say it is most likely your CPU.

Zapablast05
03-03-08, 01:54 AM

No, I haven't. So you think my FX-60 (Stock) is plenty CPU for this game on max?

Well, when I DL'd the demo, I would get like 20Fps on max settings, but that's when I had a 3800+ and an 8600GT.

Redeemed
03-03-08, 03:14 AM
Well, just fired up the SP Campaign. Played it with everything in-game maxed and it was actually very playable. Glad to know this FX-60 still has some kick in it, even at stock speeds. :D

Bman212121
03-03-08, 03:17 AM

It is quite playable, but yes your FX-60 is limiting the game. I'm pretty sure WiC is one of the few games that can take advantage of a quad core. My FX-60 was at 2.8 with 8800GTX SLI and it ran the game well, but it will lag when the a-bomb goes off. Just about anything will though and I never really noticed a time where it would hinder gameplay. You should be able to use high settings now as your GFX cards are probably not loaded all that much. For an rts 30fps is the norm so as long as you can keep that you can turn up the eye candy.

jeffmd
03-03-08, 07:30 AM
your 8800 should play it pretty smoothly, its your cpu. I fast dual core would be fine, I got the quad because I know in the future, more and more cores will be used.

DRen72
03-03-08, 09:12 AM
WIC is one of the only games I actually noticed a major increase in frame rates when I upgraded to the QX9650 from the 4800X2. RTS games usually benefit from greater CPU power.

nekrosoft13
03-03-08, 09:14 AM

no, drop that AMD already

styles-T
03-04-08, 01:57 AM
i have an e6600 and the game lags to all hell...i cant take it on max..

Bearclaw
03-04-08, 01:58 AM
I have a single core Athlon. :)

SLippe
03-04-08, 04:46 AM
I have a single core Athlon. :)
My wife has the same CPU and GPU (sorta). :)

$n][pErMan
03-04-08, 08:57 PM
Game runs great on Quad! :D

BronzeGod
03-04-08, 10:33 PM
Yea man, redeemed, you should get yourself a G0 stepping Quad 6600. Great price and it overclocks nice and high. Decent CPU you've got there though.

Redeemed
03-04-08, 11:12 PM
Well, I already have an E6600. Just haven't completed building that system. Still gotta' get the majority of the components for that build. Should I just sell the E6600 for whatever I can get and go with a Q6600? Would that really be cost effective? Or will the E6600 be sufficient?

Honestly, so far I've not encountered a single spot during the single player campaign where it became unplayable at max in-game settings. So with that said, I'm opting to just stick with my E6600. Would that be logical?

BronzeGod
03-04-08, 11:36 PM
Well, I already have an E6600. Just haven't completed building that system. Still gotta' get the majority of the components for that build. Should I just sell the E6600 for whatever I can get and go with a Q6600? Would that really be cost effective? Or will the E6600 be sufficient?

Honestly, so far I've not encountered a single spot during the single player campaign where it became unplayable at max in-game settings. So with that said, I'm opting to just stick with my E6600. Would that be logical?

If you can, sell and go G0 stepping Quad, its a more "futureproof" CPU.

Redeemed
03-04-08, 11:46 PM
If you can, sell and go G0 stepping Quad, its a more "futureproof" CPU.
I've considered that. But here's why I haven't:

1.)My current CPU seems to be capable of doing everything I need it to do... currently. Though I may very well be on the final straw, and the very next program (game or otherwise) that I purchase may be just too much for the CPU to handle in such a way that I'm satisfied, currently it meets my needs just perfectly (and that's at stock speeds too).

2.)With the above said, I've already purchased a CoolIT Eliminator to cool the E6600. Now, I know that is enough cooler to get me to 3.4Ghz, possibly even 3.6, with that E6600. If I go with a quad-core, I'm gonna' have to sell both the E6600 and the Coolit Eliminator. I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but it's just one more hassle I'd have to deal with.

3.) If my current CPU is plenty at stock speeds, how much happier would I be and for how much longer with an E6600 running at 3.4-3.6GHz? Is quad really necessary for me?

If ya'll really think even the E6600 at 3.4-3.6GHz would become a bottleneck in the near future... then I'll probably just sell the Eliminator and E6600 in favor of the Q6600 or even Q9450 if they are released soon enough. What do you guys say?

SLippe
03-05-08, 12:12 AM
I call dibs on your FX-60! :D

BronzeGod
03-05-08, 12:39 AM
I've considered that. But here's why I haven't:

1.)My current CPU seems to be capable of doing everything I need it to do... currently. Though I may very well be on the final straw, and the very next program (game or otherwise) that I purchase may be just too much for the CPU to handle in such a way that I'm satisfied, currently it meets my needs just perfectly (and that's at stock speeds too).

2.)With the above said, I've already purchased a CoolIT Eliminator to cool the E6600. Now, I know that is enough cooler to get me to 3.4Ghz, possibly even 3.6, with that E6600. If I go with a quad-core, I'm gonna' have to sell both the E6600 and the Coolit Eliminator. I'm not necessarily opposed to this, but it's just one more hassle I'd have to deal with.

3.) If my current CPU is plenty at stock speeds, how much happier would I be and for how much longer with an E6600 running at 3.4-3.6GHz? Is quad really necessary for me?

If ya'll really think even the E6600 at 3.4-3.6GHz would become a bottleneck in the near future... then I'll probably just sell the Eliminator and E6600 in favor of the Q6600 or even Q9450 if they are released soon enough. What do you guys say?

Do what you must dude, either option will give you WAY better performance than what you have currently. I'd say go with the easiest option, thought you had a buyer already :D

Redeemed
03-05-08, 01:01 AM
Do what you must dude, either option will give you WAY better performance than what you have currently. I'd say go with the easiest option, thought you had a buyer already :D
Well, my current rig *is* spoken for already. But my E6600 is not. I could definitely sell it and the Eliminator if you guys feel it'd be the better option. I just haven't done it yet cause I'm pleased with my current rig and figured I'd be blown away with the E6600.

This is what I'll probably do:

I'll hold onto the E6600 and Eliminator for now. When the Q9450 arrives I'll sell the E6600 and Eliminator for it. That should allow me to get some killer OCs on the proc, without breaking the bank, and while future-proofing the rig. Sound reasonable? :D

BronzeGod
03-05-08, 02:44 AM
Well, my current rig *is* spoken for already. But my E6600 is not. I could definitely sell it and the Eliminator if you guys feel it'd be the better option. I just haven't done it yet cause I'm pleased with my current rig and figured I'd be blown away with the E6600.

This is what I'll probably do:

I'll hold onto the E6600 and Eliminator for now. When the Q9450 arrives I'll sell the E6600 and Eliminator for it. That should allow me to get some killer OCs on the proc, without breaking the bank, and while future-proofing the rig. Sound reasonable? :D

Excellent choice. Wait it out and get the better Quad. You may wanna pick up 4 gigs too. Games and apps are getting more and more hungry these days. I bought 8 gigs when it was on sale, best choice EVAR. I can run stuff in the background while I game and it doesn't affect performance one bit ^_^

methimpikehoses
03-05-08, 02:54 AM
Redeemed, you won't need a quad for a while. Just wait for a cheap Penryn at this point. E6600 to Q6600 is not that much of a jump for most tasks.

Redeemed
03-05-08, 03:34 AM
Excellent choice. Wait it out and get the better Quad. You may wanna pick up 4 gigs too. Games and apps are getting more and more hungry these days. I bought 8 gigs when it was on sale, best choice EVAR. I can run stuff in the background while I game and it doesn't affect performance one bit ^_^
lol- I'm not that big a noob. :p

Thanks for the advice though. :D I'm shooting for 8Gigs of RAM in this next rig, actually. But I'll only buy 4Gigs at first (2x2GB). I'd probably get the remaining 4Gigs first, then the new processor later.

Actually, this FX-60 is pretty rockin'. Earlier I was downloading the WiC patch and was playing FEAR while I waited. Just Alt+Tabbed between the two periodically untill WiC finished downloading and installing the patch. Not so much as a hiccup, honestly. :D