PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone reached the peak of upgradeing their system to where you want?

LiquidX
04-28-03, 12:03 PM
I know with a PC this can never be because of the continues onslaught of new hardware.

But I think I have reached the peak of my upgradability and performance for the first time in 2 years with money to spare. I no longer curse, come near to tears or physically abuse my my PC. I am at a point where nothing really needs a upgrade that will make my system perform significantly any better that I need to drop a couple hundred $$. And don't think I will do a upgrade until P4 reach 4.0, and by then I wont be upgrading my current PC I will be building a whole new one.

As anyone else reached the peak of upgradability and performance whereas everything is just right as to how you like you PC to perform?

Here is my beautiful, all black set up:
-P4 2.53
-512 PC800 RDRAM
-48x24x48
-80gig Seagate Baracuda
-Audigy 2
-Monsoon M9 Flat panel speakers
-17'Flat screen monitor
-Ti4200-possibly my only upgrade but not until this thing falls apart or gives me a problem running a game past 1200X resolution.
-MX500 with matching Logitech keyboard
-RatpadzGS
**If you can think of one thing I might need please do tell.

-It looks eceptional,sounds exceptional and performs exceptional.
-Full boot time 24 sec
-crashes and error messages? rarely
-Almost every program including Adobe Photoshop and games load up to the start screen in under 10 seconds. To get into an online game, most times under 30 (except BF 1942)

My attention now is turned to home thearter and DVD collection.

Kain
04-28-03, 12:28 PM
My attention now is turned to home thearter and DVD collection. Me too!

We are currently putting together a very nice home theater. :)

Home theaters rock! :D

jAkUp
04-28-03, 12:30 PM
no matter how much you spend... you can never fully upgrade... your always gonna want something... whether its another cold cathode or different mod... a better heat sink, more ram... etc. i dont think i will ever be satisafied..lol

digitalwanderer
04-28-03, 12:39 PM
My goal with Bubbles was originally to upgrade her to break the 10K 3dm2k1se score, but I'm happy with a consistant 9750 out of her. ;) (I broke it with a 9500 Pro in her, she CAN do it. :) )

I'm probably not done with her though, I'm thinking "mobo/cpu/memory" now...

Blue is me masterpiece, she is MUCH more than she was ever planned to be! I picked her up for about a grand way back when as a PII350 64MB 8Gb hard-drive with a CDrom and an ATI Xpert98 viddy...she's been frankensteined into a MUCHLY better box since!

I'm real pleased with her, she's our mainbox still and does the job great. :) (Although technically she's my wife's PC...but their all MINE!!!!!! ;) )

saturnotaku
04-28-03, 01:10 PM
I know I'll never be totally satisfied with the equipment I have, but I'm quite content with it. I'm sure I'll continue to upgrade my stuff as much as I can and as often as I can. Be it a different mouse, viddy card, sound card, you name it.

The most mileage I've ever gotten out of a computer was with my Compaq PII 400 MHz box. At its peak it was running Windows 98SE, onboard LAN, Voodoo3 3000 PCI (had no AGP slot), Aureal Vortex 2 (best...sound card...ever), 224 mb of RAM, Pioneer slot-loading DVD-ROM, extermal 4/2/8 CD burner and over 20 GB of total hard drive space. Half-Life and the Quake 3 demo tests ran beautifully. Plus I had backup storage in my burner and separate 13 GB hard drive.

Even though it was a Compaq and loaded with integrated garbage, it was a monster for its time until I moved on to my Athlon 850/Abit KT7A combo (my first handmade machine!). :D

Starscream
04-28-03, 03:11 PM
I'm happy with everything in my system right now, except my video card. If I could upgrade that I'd be quite satisfied.

Lunar
04-28-03, 03:15 PM
My system is almost where I want it. I want a GF3 and I want an Audigy 2, and then it'll be perfect. For now at least. Can't wait to go to Quakecon!!!

ricercar
04-28-03, 03:47 PM
I have a satisfying system that I'm not planning to upgrade. Ever.

It's a snapshot of the best available CPU/GPU/chipset/HD/DDR available on the day I got a bonus from work. Having professionally worked on development teams for multiple components, I'm keeping it as a memento of my work in 2002.

My "bonus" machine will last me as-is for a very long time as a souvenir. Sure I'll upgrade ... my other machines.

CaptNKILL
04-28-03, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Lunar
My system is almost where I want it. I want a GF3 and I want an Audigy 2, and then it'll be perfect. For now at least. Can't wait to go to Quakecon!!!

Why do you want another GF3(typo?)? You should go for a GF4 Ti4600 or a Radeon 9500 Pro (around the same price).

My rig is getting to that SWEEEEET spot :)

Im building it right now actually! I just recieved my brand spanking new Abit NF7-S 2.0. Im throwing a 1700+ JIUHB into it with hopes of hitting 2.0-2.1Ghz. Im putting 2x256Mbs PC-2700 into it.... well, basicly, its got all of the parts in my sig, minus the Gigabyte board (those damn people STILL havent responded to my RMA request).

As long as my computer stays stable, I have no plans for upgrading for a while... well, unless I get enough money to buy a better video card... hehe, I like my Anisotropic filtering :D

darkmiasma
04-28-03, 05:39 PM
I am just about where I want to be.

I really just want a processor with Hyper-Threading on it ... other than that, I am good to go.

Lunar
04-29-03, 02:16 PM
Oops. I was thinking about what I already had. lol

Make that a GeForce FX 5800 Ultra. LOL

nin_fragile14
04-29-03, 04:34 PM
Mine's where I want it to be. A 16ms 17" LCD, Radeon9700 Pro, 2.3 ghz P4, with 512 MB of PC2700 RAM. Black keyboard, speakers, monitor, and pad. Everything is great.

VeritechK7
04-29-03, 07:12 PM
I'm contempt with what i have right now but as always there's a lot of room for improvement.

better scsi, dual processing [be it through hyperthreading or through two physical processors], dual monitors, new ratpad [my feet are gone or almost so there's slippage], a kicking sound card with a break out box, a wireless mouse that's good for everything, a wireless natural keyboard, an aluminum full tower, a new Power supply [antec or pc p&c ], new speakers. I 'm happy w/ my gf3 ti"500" [TI200 overclocked :p] and with my motherboard [it's been kicking for a while now :)]

netviper13
04-29-03, 07:18 PM
See instead of considering myself satisfied with computers and moving on to my home-theater plans, I'm integrating both plans into one.

With the home-theater system I'm looking at getting (klipsch speakers w/ Aragon amp/pre-amp), the pre-amp supports up to 7 input sources. TV, VCR, DVD, Video, CD/LD, Tape, and Aux; I figure I can hook my Soundstorm (or whatever card I have by the time I can afford all that sound equipment) into the Aux port and everything is peachy.

Im0n
04-29-03, 08:14 PM
Abit Kt7-raid
Thunderbird 1000 mhz
512 ram orginal 133
2 80 gig IBM disks
Soundblaster live value
Lg cd-rw 40x
Gainward GF4 4200 had a GF2 Hercules before for 2 years dont really know why i bought a new one.
This comnp been up and running 24/7 for 2,5 year.
Already own a surround system with 6 speakers 1 center 1 sub.

What i gonna do if i aint burning for comps ? well get me a real life should keep me buissy for life.

Smokey
04-29-03, 08:56 PM
Ill be upgrading in about 2 weeks now, my folks will be here and they owe me a late Christmas and birthday present. My mum made a big blunder on exchange rates, so what she said she was going to give me isnt at all the case, 1/3 of what she said is what Ill be getting :( Still I should be able to get a 2400+ or barton 2500+ + 512mb OCZ EL3500. I have to buy a motherboard, need to upgrade the wifes pc, she will be getting my current ram and Duron, Ive found the MSI KT3V to be the best cheapest board I can find, so I may keep that and give the wife this KT3Ultra.

After this upgrade, the only other thing I really want to upgrade is the videocard, should be doing that come Christmas I hope ;)

The Baron
04-29-03, 09:04 PM
Eventually, I reach a point where I'm happy with what I have. I realize that I could get a bit more performance out of X, better looks out of Y, or more features out of Z, but the price makes it unjustifiable. So.... yeah, I can reach that point.

gRoUnD
04-30-03, 05:10 AM
Im keeping mine till Sep / Oct.