PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War Patch 1 (Revised) just released

Pages : [1] 2

AngelGraves13
03-03-08, 06:16 PM
A revised version of Gears of War patch #1 is now available, offering performance improvements and a fix for a Games for Windows LIVE update issue (which somehow doesn't seem to qualify this as patch #2). Word is: "This update is only compatible with the North American, South American, and Western European versions of Gears of War. If you are running the Russian or Eastern European versions of Gears of War then you will be unable to install the update. The Eastern European versions of the game include the Polish, Czechoslovakian, and Hungarian language versions of Gears of War for Windows. This has no impact on single- or multiplayer gameplay/connectivity."

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board.pl?action=viewthread&threadid=85681

Go get it!

XDanger
03-03-08, 06:41 PM
can I have a link without a scary clown
(sofahide)

http://www.gamershell.com/news/46145.html

evox
03-03-08, 06:59 PM
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/3/2/a32f9a78-bdd0-4f9c-b283-9be53a283b46/GearsTU.exe

6.5mb

AngelGraves13
03-03-08, 07:24 PM
Anyone recommend getting this game?

Reynaldo
03-03-08, 07:28 PM
Yep, I totally recommend it, finally finished a couple of nights ago. Left me wanting for the sequel, I hope it comes to PC, and it doesn't take too long to port.

NarcissistZero
03-03-08, 07:53 PM
Anyone recommend getting this game?

It's a great shooter... some tech problems set people against it, but really it's a great game, and in my opinion one of the better ports of a 360 game ever released. It feels very fluid with the KB&M and the graphics look a LOT better than the 360 game... new content too.

As for this patch, interesting stuff... Downloading now, we'll see if it offers any performance enhancement... I never had a problem with crashes and the like to begin with.

Amuro
03-03-08, 08:19 PM
I can't get the game to run any more. I keep getting infinite splash screen when trying to launch the game. CPU usage at 50% and nothing. Was able to play the game when it first came out but that was on my old PC.

AngelGraves13
03-03-08, 08:29 PM
I can't get the game to run any more. I keep getting infinite splash screen when trying to launch the game. CPU usage at 50% and nothing. Was able to play the game when it first came out but that was on my old PC.

Try deleting any .ini files it made.

grey_1
03-03-08, 08:39 PM
Thanks for posting this.

Just got out of coop, have to say this shooter is one of the most fun I've ever had in an FPS, coop just flat out rocks.

Highly recommended. :)

NarcissistZero
03-04-08, 01:53 AM
This patch had an odd effect on my game... I got a Visual C+ error when starting up the game, which I never got before. I played with a few things and nothing helped, until I remembered I had altered the texture streaming settings because of a user tweak which was supposed to help the stuttering.

I changed these settings back to default and removed the "read only" check on those .ini files, and then the game started up perfectly. Strange... almost as if Epic removed the ability for that tweak.

Anyone else with the same problem?

That said, I noticed no increase in stutter after putting the .ini to default settings, so maybe the patch also eliminates the need for said tweak.

HiCZoK4
03-04-08, 01:53 AM
So what is this patch doing ?

AngelGraves13
03-04-08, 02:05 AM
This patch had an odd effect on my game... I got a Visual C+ error when starting up the game, which I never got before. I played with a few things and nothing helped, until I remembered I had altered the texture streaming settings because of a user tweak which was supposed to help the stuttering.

I changed these settings back to default and removed the "read only" check on those .ini files, and then the game started up perfectly. Strange... almost as if Epic removed the ability for that tweak.

Anyone else with the same problem?

That said, I noticed no increase in stutter after putting the .ini to default settings, so maybe the patch also eliminates the need for said tweak.

It [the patch] probably made changes to the .ini file and since your's was set to read-only, it had trouble making those changes and therefore wouldn't run.

LordJuanlo
03-04-08, 02:27 AM
I loaded the game last week and when signing into live it downloaded a patch. So is this a patch for that patch?

nutcrackr
03-04-08, 02:56 AM
the patch notes are pathetic

NarcissistZero
03-04-08, 03:34 AM
It [the patch] probably made changes to the .ini file and since your's was set to read-only, it had trouble making those changes and therefore wouldn't run.

That makes a lot of sense... thanks for the common sense ;)

Amuro
03-04-08, 04:10 AM
Try deleting any .ini files it made.
Updating openal seems to have fixed the problem.
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46

NarcissistZero
03-04-08, 04:43 AM
I just played some chapter 5, namely the Brumak battle, and I definately think stuttering is reduced from before, and this is after restoring my .ini to default settings, so it's untweaked.

Good stuff.

nekrosoft13
03-04-08, 06:32 AM
why Patch 1 (Revised)? why not just call it Patch 2?

HiCZoK4
03-04-08, 10:32 AM
why Patch 1 (Revised)? why not just call it Patch 2?
they are stupid thats why. Also notes on the patch are reddiciulus

AngelGraves13
03-04-08, 12:05 PM
Updating openal seems to have fixed the problem.
http://developer.creative.com/articles/article.asp?cat=1&sbcat=31&top=38&aid=46

That's from summer of last year. I've had that installed for ages!

ralinn
03-04-08, 04:42 PM
they are stupid thats why. Also notes on the patch are reddiciulus
Maybe it fixed bugs created by patch 1? If so, I wouldn't call it patch 2 either.

SeriTonin
03-04-08, 05:40 PM
Not sure what this patch fixes, or newly breaks, but regardless, it's 5 ****ing months too late.

Amuro
03-04-08, 07:46 PM
That's from summer of last year. I've had that installed for ages!
Well I had it installed the day I reformatted after mobo change too. But somehow I had to install it again for this game and and UT3to get past the splash screen.

FastRedPonyCar
03-05-08, 08:00 AM
So does this patch fix the game crashing due to MS Live + windowblinds being used?

ASUSEN7900GTX
03-05-08, 11:11 AM
what does this revised patch do that the none revised dinīt?