PDA

View Full Version : WTB dedicated gaming server

bacon12
03-04-08, 05:08 AM
I am looking for a server to replace the host that my clan is currently using. They are overloading the boxes with servers, and it shows.

Some of the older members have gotten burned in the past and like the current set up because of the ease of use.

This is what I am looking for.

Multiple admin(s) capable (must have)
High bandwith 100mb pipe preferred.
Decent HW (nothing blazing fast but sufficient for a 40+ slot)
Good price ( nego., but I don't want my pants pulled down!)
Good support (must have as well)
East/Central location.

SLippe
03-04-08, 05:10 AM
No WTB Threads.

2.) Subject names should be in the following format:

(FS/FT/WTT) (Description of Item or Items)

In case you don't know, the abbrevations are as follows:

FS - For Sale
FT - For Trade
WTT - Want To Trade
No WTB (Want to buy) threads.

Runningman
03-04-08, 05:13 AM
why dont we relabel this, looking for advice....

Runningman
03-04-08, 05:15 AM
I am looking for a server to replace the host that my clan is currently using. They are overloading the boxes with servers, and it shows.

Some of the older members have gotten burned in the past and like the current set up because of the ease of use.

This is what I am looking for.

Multiple admin(s) capable (must have)
High bandwith 100mb pipe preferred.
Decent HW (nothing blazing fast but sufficient for a 40+ slot)
Good price ( nego., but I don't want my pants pulled down!)
Good support (must have as well)
East/Central location.
why not build your own 1U or 2U server and then bring it to a colocation center instead of wasting all the money on a ****ty setup that the datacenter dictates.

bacon12
03-04-08, 05:18 AM
OK I forgot no WTB threads, woudl a mod rename and move this thread please.

why not build your own 1U or 2U server and then bring it to a colocation center instead of wasting all the money on a ****ty setup that the datacenter dictates.

That sounds like a great idea, and I am up for building. But I have no clue what you are talking bout?

Runningman
03-04-08, 05:24 AM
OK I forgot no WTB threads, woudl a mod rename and move this thread please.

That sounds like a great idea, and I am up for building. But I have no clue what you are talking bout?
well first off what games are you looking to use on the server, i ask because some game servers stats tracking isnt open to the public. ie BF2...

bacon12
03-04-08, 05:30 AM
Thanks for replying. :)

My clan has three or four COD4 servers, ventrillo, and whenever Caos releases (http://community.kaosstudios.com/showthread.php?t=5421)the server files Front Lines Fuel of War. It is still unknow if there will be ranked servers or not?

Runningman
03-04-08, 05:37 AM
Thanks for replying. :)

My clan has three or four COD4 servers, ventrillo, and whenever Caos releases (http://community.kaosstudios.com/showthread.php?t=5421)the server files Front Lines Fuel of War. It is still unknow if there will be ranked servers or not?
well you should be able to do that all on a single server, just bind each game server software to diffrent ports. the only problem you could run into is with ventrilo, they only release a 8 person server to the public. if you go over that, you will have to rent it. i have a vent server and i only pay like 5 a month for a 16 slots. i use www.InstantVentrilo.com. low latency and good prices.

building the server itself is just like building a PC, you just have to make sure that if you build a 1U server that the motherboard is 1U compatible. you should also go with a raid 5 setup that way you have some redundancy built into the drives so that way since the server is at a datacent if the drive goes down the server stays up and you can go down there for any repairs you would need todo instead of paying there techs.

bacon12
03-04-08, 05:45 AM
Thats where the issue comes in. I don't know where the server could go close to me, as I would be the one responsible for keeping it up. I will investigate that .

I live in a pretty rural area, and that would be an issue I imagine. I am not sure how our vent is currently set up, but we have 6 channels, and way more than 8 people.

Thanks again, and I may pm you for some advise later if thats ok.

Runningman
03-04-08, 05:47 AM
Thats where the issue comes in. I don't know where the server could go close to me, as I would be the one responsible for keeping it up. I will investigate that .

I live in a pretty rural area, and that would be an issue I imagine. I am not sure how our vent is currently set up, but we have 6 channels, and way more than 8 people.

Thanks again, and I may pm you for some advise later if thats ok.
pm me all you need. i will try to help as much as possible.

rudedog
03-04-08, 06:27 AM
I pay 140 per month with an OS lic for CPpanel for my web site. you can get a whole box (rented) and do everything yourself.

Unless your running multiple instances on the same box you don't have to worry about ports. COD will increment ports for you each time you start another DS

Try Serverbeach.com or head on over to my site (we are all about game server administration) to find a good host that will not overload a box.

However if you're running more then a couple servers, get your own box with linux and do what you want. You will be more happy and save a lot of money in the long run.

PM me if you need more help or have more questions.

bacon12
03-04-08, 07:01 AM
Thanks Rude Dog. I am pretty good with a linux box, and could do that very easily if I only had the bandwidth.

Plus I also read a dev of FFOW say there were only gonna be windows server files. :(

I will drop by and check you out and see what you guys think.
ta again.

rudedog
03-04-08, 07:49 AM
bandwidth is included, that is for a hosted dedicated server. You don't Cpnel lic.

You would have root access, you own the whole box (ok not own but rent) :)

You get 2 TB of bandwidth a month.

Runningman
03-04-08, 07:56 AM
You get 2 TB of bandwidth a monthwitch is equal to about 5 mbps of dedicated bandwidth.

rudedog
03-04-08, 08:45 AM
I should have said data xfer not bandwidth