PDA

View Full Version : EA is still hungry

evox
03-04-08, 03:55 PM
Warren Jenson, chief financial officer at Electronic Arts, has told an investor's conference that his company is keen to give Take-Two's "diamonds" a chance to shine brighter on the global stage, and that he hopes continued industry creativity will lead to further acquisition opportunities in the future.
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=33728

shabby
03-04-08, 08:25 PM
If i read that comment correctly, ea thinks creativity = acquisitions?

evox
03-04-08, 08:52 PM
If i read that comment correctly, ea thinks creativity = acquisitions?
when you're EA, you have to think that way ;) aside from 6-7 notable titles, most in-house EA games are crap.

Ayepecks
03-04-08, 11:18 PM
when you're EA, you have to think that way ;) aside from 6-7 notable titles, most in-house EA games are crap.
Crap? That's pretty harsh. Here are the games that are internally made that I'd consider at least decent.

Command & Conquer series (current, non-Westwood iterations)
Lord of the Rings: BFME I + II
Medal of Honor series
Army of Two
The Sims games
Madden series
Tiger Woods series
Army of Two
Need for Speed series

That's just off the top of my head. And then I have the question of what you mean by "internal." Do you mean owned by EA? If so, add tons more quality games, like the Battlefield series.

Whether or not you like EA's policies, their internal games tend to get reviewed well. Interesting information on which publisher gets the best reviews (all games published, not just internal, however):
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/04/which-publisher-gets-the-best-review-scores/

JigenD
03-04-08, 11:22 PM
I think it's funny that EA is so eager to waste their money.

Let them buy Take 2 or something, and then every single developer loses all their people and they all form new companies Ruckstar Take 3...

evox
03-05-08, 12:31 AM
Crap? That's pretty harsh. Here are the games that are internally made that I'd consider at least decent.

Command & Conquer series (current, non-Westwood iterations)
Lord of the Rings: BFME I + II
Medal of Honor series
Army of Two
The Sims games
Madden series
Tiger Woods series
Army of Two
Need for Speed series

That's just off the top of my head. And then I have the question of what you mean by "internal." Do you mean owned by EA? If so, add tons more quality games, like the Battlefield series.

Whether or not you like EA's policies, their internal games tend to get reviewed well. Interesting information on which publisher gets the best reviews (all games published, not just internal, however):
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/03/04/which-publisher-gets-the-best-review-scores/

Well, EA rehashes all of their sports games and NFS games, so I just tend to put them in the crap category. SIMS, I won't even comment on. If any game needs to die, it's that franchise. it's really profitable which is what makes me sad. but anyway, I guess I should've clarified, in my 6-7 games list, I had:
Crysis
orange box
MoH series
C&C
and 3-4 random new titles.

Notice, I meant the in-house games :P

Ayepecks
03-05-08, 08:14 AM
A) Crysis isn't in-house.
B) Neither is The Orange Box.
C) "In-house" means internal. Subsidiaries owned by EA are internal. That includes DICE, Maxis, etc.
D) The Sims may be milked, but it doesn't make them good games. Look at the reviews.
E) Why would you want a PC game to sell poorly? With the way PC games are performing right now, you'd think PC gamers would be happy for anything that helps them.

evox
03-05-08, 09:16 AM
A) Crysis isn't in-house.
B) Neither is The Orange Box.
C) "In-house" means internal. Subsidiaries owned by EA are internal. That includes DICE, Maxis, etc.
D) The Sims may be milked, but it doesn't make them good games. Look at the reviews.
E) Why would you want a PC game to sell poorly? With the way PC games are performing right now, you'd think PC gamers would be happy for anything that helps them.
Ummm, thank you for telling me what I already said?
most in-house EA games are crap.
when I said "notice I meant the in-house titles" I was boycotting the EA cookie cutter releases, NOT third-party titles like Crysis, TOB etc.

and sorry, I'd rather have a great title selling poorly rather than a **** title selling millions. but that's just me.

Ayepecks
03-05-08, 08:15 PM
Ummm, thank you for telling me what I already said?

when I said "notice I meant the in-house titles" I was boycotting the EA cookie cutter releases, NOT third-party titles like Crysis, TOB etc.

and sorry, I'd rather have a great title selling poorly rather than a **** title selling millions. but that's just me.
LOL, please read your post.

but anyway, I guess I should've clarified, in my 6-7 games list, I had:
Crysis
orange box
MoH series
C&C
and 3-4 random new titles.

Notice, I meant the in-house games :]
You say in-house and then you proceed to mention non-in-house games, which is why I explained what in-house is to you :)

Furthermore, I already told you The Sims gets great reviews. I wouldn't call that a crap title. Just becuase you don't like the genre or don't like it doesn't mean it's crap.

evox
03-05-08, 10:45 PM
LOL, please read your post.
I said the In-house games developed by EA are mostly crap(NFS: PS) except few IN-HOUSE titles that are a exception to that rule (BF2, MoH-A etc) also,when I said notable 6-7 titles, I meant a mixture of IN-HOUSE and third-party. I also stated that in my earlier post.

Well, EA rehashes all of their sports games and NFS games, so I just tend to put them in the crap category. SIMS, I won't even comment on. If any game needs to die, it's that franchise. it's really profitable which is what makes me sad. but anyway, I guess I should've clarified, in my 6-7 games list, I had:
Crysis
orange box
MoH series (EA)
C&C (EA)
and 3-4 random new titles. (EA New IPs)

Furthermore, I already told you The Sims gets great reviews. I wouldn't call that a crap title. Just becuase you don't like the genre or don't like it doesn't mean it's crap.
well that was my personal opinion ;)
I'd rather have a great title selling poorly rather than a **** title selling millions. but that's just me.

Ayepecks
03-05-08, 11:03 PM
No, you didn't.

"aside from 6-7 notable titles, most in-house EA games are crap"

By saying that, your statement qualified the games you were referring to as EA in-house titles. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a debate with you any further over this. Clearly you don't like EA.

evox
03-05-08, 11:56 PM
No, you didn't.

"aside from 6-7 notable titles, most in-house EA games are crap"

By saying that, your statement qualified the games you were referring to as EA in-house titles. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a debate with you any further over this. Clearly you don't like EA.
Yeah, and I'm not alone.

Jonelo
03-06-08, 12:47 AM
And

Army for one

Army for two (gay)