PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive problem...

Madpistol
03-05-08, 09:09 AM
I'm getting a very weird problem occuring with my HDD. Every once in a while, my system will lock up and reboot, but it won't get back into windows because it can't read the HDD. The fix is to simply unplug the SATA cable from the motherboard and plug it into another slot. After this, the system boots up just fine.

I'm worried though, because it has now happened twice in the last 2 days, where as before, it only happened once every few months. Should I be worried about this? I don't think it's an HDD failure or anything like that, but I'm wondering if it's a BIOS or motherboard issue instead. My computer specs are listed out in "Gaming Rig 1"

Is this happening to anyone else? And do you know why this is happening?

hokeyplyr48
03-05-08, 03:11 PM
have you checked the SMART status on the drive? theres a bunch of programs that will do it for free. see what those say.

and if possible clone your setup to another drive and see if the problem persists. it's all about elimination

CaptNKILL
03-05-08, 03:16 PM
Use speedfan to check the SMART status. You may need to enable SMART in your BIOS first.

If you have any spare SATA cables, replace your cables. They break very very easily and tend to create very weird problems like the ones you're having.

Tr1cK
03-05-08, 03:16 PM
Is it accessing the HD when it crashes out?

I had to replace a friends one time because it did just that. Even just copying files would lock the system and crash it out like that. I would look into backing up important stuff and replacing it.

Madpistol
03-05-08, 04:33 PM
I ran S.M.A.R.T. on Speedfan, and analyzed the results.

HDD fitness is @ 97%
HDD performance is @ 100%

No problems here. The Hard Drive itself doesn't appear to be the problem.

I guess I need to see if another SATA cable fixes the problem. Unfortunately, this is the only SATA HDD I have currently. I'm thinking about getting another though just to augment my current storage space.

More suggestions?

Madpistol
03-05-08, 04:36 PM
Is it accessing the HD when it crashes out?

I had to replace a friends one time because it did just that. Even just copying files would lock the system and crash it out like that. I would look into backing up important stuff and replacing it.

I don't know. The last 2 times it has crashed has been during the night while I'm asleep. I've noticed it early in the morning around 6am. My computer is posting, but it won't get past the drive check screen. Something has to trigger the crash, but I'm not sure what.

lduguay
03-05-08, 04:48 PM
Try w/o OC

Tr1cK
03-05-08, 04:51 PM
I don't know. The last 2 times it has crashed has been during the night while I'm asleep. I've noticed it early in the morning around 6am. My computer is posting, but it won't get past the drive check screen. Something has to trigger the crash, but I'm not sure what.

On the system I was referring to, all it took was drive access to crash it. Do you have anything running at night like a virus scan? I'd check that out too, maybe do a manual scan during the day sometime to see if that's a culprit. If it was bad sectors like the issue I had, then it would most likely show up during normal use.

I would give a new cable a shot.

Madpistol
03-05-08, 05:49 PM
I'm only running Internet Explorer, which plays AOL radio. I don't see how that would affect the HDD. For the most part, the hard drive should be idle during the night.

mojoman0
03-05-08, 06:13 PM
I actually used to have the same problem. You don't happen to be using nVidia IDE drivers do you? They seem to have a known problem. After I uninstalled I stopped getting problems.

Madpistol
03-06-08, 12:02 AM
I may be using them. I do have an IDE DVD drive hooked up to the motherboard. Is the only way to fix this is to get a SATA DVD drive?

mojoman0
03-06-08, 12:45 AM
No i also have my drives on the ide cable. I'd suggest uninstalling the nvidia driver and let the built in windows driver do the work. It's definitely worth the shot and it fixed my consistent blue screens and sata unplugging as well as many others.