PDA

View Full Version : Who Needs a Case? Ghetto Rig

Pages : [1] 2

Absolution
03-05-08, 05:33 PM
I've seen a lot of people throw a MB on a cardboard and get the sucker to run. I've always assumed that they had the MB power on switches right on the board (like some DFI boards and my EVGA 680i board). I thought to myself, well, this crappy ECS 630i MB doesn't have anything that savvy, so I had to improvise.

Background: Going to my hometown for a week, I've been picking up various parts for realllly cheap in the assumption that I would build myself a pc that I could use when I'm back with the parents (college student here).

The build list:
ECS 630i 7100-M3
Intel Core2 E4500 @ 2.2ghz stock - Bought both as a combo: $110 together on sale
Ultra XFinity 600watt PSU - seems decent, 2x 12v lines at an average of 19amps: $0 after rebate
HP (Crucial) DDR2 667MHZ, 1GBx2: $20 (can get them up to 800mhz pretty easily)
My old BFG 7800GTX: We'll say $200 because my 8800GT replaced it
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5: $0 after rebate
Old/New Maxtor Diamondback 10 300GB - Fresh from RMA (bad sectors, sent it in): $0
I think the cooler is a coolermaster gemini: $0 after rebate
Keyboard: Well, dell accidently sent me two dell multimedia keyboards instead of just one, so $0 (still haven't unboxed it).
Mouse: my old Logitech MX518: $0

Price total: $330 for a pretty nice PC to just bum around with at home.

Anyway, back to setting this thing up. So I threw the motherboard on my sisters case box (her pc is about half the price of mine, not quite as good though) as many have done before. Connected everything up, PSU sitting on the floor, CD drive sideways on the floor, HD on the box, keyboard on the floot, and monitor somewhere to the side.

I thought to myself, well... how am I going to get this sucker on to transfer some files and install the OS so I'll be ready to use it when I'm home (why use vacation to install windows.... blah)? Answer, some random fan cord I found in my bag of goodies.

All I had to do, turn the PSU on, then short the two case power on jumpers together - pretty simple. Then take away the wire. The thing jumped up right away. If you want to turn the PC off, then short them again.

Pics (from camera phone):
http://www.game-deception.org/ghettopc/0305081644.jpg

The cord I used to start the PC
http://www.game-deception.org/ghettopc/0305081645.jpg

The beast up and running
http://www.game-deception.org/ghettopc/0305081653.jpg

What a neat and completely pointless way to setup a pc (well... I guess not pointless cause it saved me time).

So, things you don't ACTUALLY need when your just initially setting up your PC:
1) A case
2) Case jumpers
3) Thermal paste (ya... I didn't use any - sue me, its idle'ing at 28C)

I enjoyed it - time to update the bios!

Bman212121
03-05-08, 05:45 PM
I just start / restart the pc with a screwdriver most of the time if it's not in a case. ;)

Grats on the new rig.

XDanger
03-05-08, 05:53 PM
I just start / restart the pc with a screwdriver most of the time if it's not in a case. ;)

Or a hammer.

styles-T
03-05-08, 06:39 PM
static electricity isnt your friend.

stevemedes
03-05-08, 06:45 PM
static electricity isnt your friend.

i like to put on fuzzy socks then run around the house and touch my motherboard!

RaidenWoW
03-05-08, 06:50 PM
i like to put on fuzzy socks then run around the house and touch my motherboard!

Rofl (nana2)

DeusGear
03-05-08, 06:57 PM
I did the same thing once as an experiment. However it's all back neatly into my cm stacker with great wire management :)
http://i32.tinypic.com/2ak0npf.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2db757r.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2mcfw5s.jpg

Bman212121
03-05-08, 06:58 PM

Believe it or not it can be hard to kill components with electricity. In one of my classes the teacher had a device that would create a spark between two points. We took an old graphics card (I think it was an S3 or an SIS) and put it directly between the two points and let it arc on the card. We took the card and put it into a pc and it booted right up without issue. All of us were stunned that it still worked after getting zapped for a while.

On the other hand, he used to work at a place that made computer components and everything was grounded and they were wearing antistatic clothing and what not. I can't remember if it was him or someone else but they reached out to grab a card from someone else and they had a shock come off of their finger and that did the card in. It was a prototype card too. :lol:

Bman212121
03-05-08, 07:00 PM
I did the same thing once as an experiment. However it's all back neatly into my cm stacker with great wire management :)
http://i32.tinypic.com/2ak0npf.jpg

I recognized those speakers, is that the 2.1 setup? I have same one sitting on my desk in front of me.

bacon12
03-05-08, 07:07 PM
Best temps you will ever see.

Zapablast05
03-05-08, 07:30 PM
How convenient to actually put the PSU on a carpet.

Q
03-05-08, 08:20 PM
I built a case out of duct tape and cardboard a few years ago. It's a shame I didn't have a camera at the time.

amk21
03-05-08, 08:31 PM
I have a motherboard backplate screwed down on a table in my basement, just for testing purpses, I'll post some pics latter on.

CaptNKILL
03-05-08, 08:57 PM

Grats on the new rig.
Same here.

A more permanent alternative that's really cheap and easy to do (if you have the tools) is to buy a small momentary switch or button at your local Radioshack (or other electronics store), find an old CDROM audio cable (preferably one with a flat end, no clips), cut it so that its really short and remove all but two wires, solder the wires onto the button's contacts. Voila, instant portable power button. Just plug it onto the board and press. No need to risk fiddling with a screw driver. Its a real time saver if you do a lot of hardware work outside of the case.

t3hl33td4rg0n
03-05-08, 09:05 PM

:wonder:

Got myself another quote

styles-T
03-05-08, 09:16 PM

Sorry I'm just well trained in the industry and the number one rule when working with circuit boards at work is to wear a wrist strap and ground your self. Wearing the wrong sweater will do it. :p

SLippe
03-05-08, 09:34 PM
I fried a mobo once with a single touch of static electricity. Thank goodness eVGA cross-ships! :)

Absolution
03-05-08, 10:39 PM
Same here.

A more permanent alternative that's really cheap and easy to do (if you have the tools) is to buy a small momentary switch or button at your local Radioshack (or other electronics store), find an old CDROM audio cable (preferably one with a flat end, no clips), cut it so that its really short and remove all but two wires, solder the wires onto the button's contacts. Voila, instant portable power button. Just plug it onto the board and press. No need to risk fiddling with a screw driver. Its a real time saver if you do a lot of hardware work outside of the case.

I was trying to find a simple jumper - one that is used for like setting USB power (vcc or vusb) or reset cmos. That'd probably be even easier.

Also, I only have one monitor atm, thank god for remote desktop.

Whats wrong with putting the PSU on the ground? If anything, i'd expect the psu to be grounded the best (i always either touch the PSU or the case before medaling around, i've yet to fry anything). Well, actually, I've shocked my old dell soundcard multiple times, probably getting close to double digits. The thing still works strangely (i've never shocked anything worth caring about though).

Bman212121
03-06-08, 10:17 AM
Same here.

Heh, that's a lot of work. If you did a lot of computer work I would think you've aquired and extra case or two by now. ;) I have a full face plate out of an older desktop that has the power led, the reset and power buttons all built into it with really long cables so I just plug the ends in and can use that. But usually the screwdriver is closer. :captnkill:

CaptNKILL
03-06-08, 10:27 AM
Heh, that's a lot of work. If you did a lot of computer work I would think you've aquired and extra case or two by now. ;) I have a full face plate out of an older desktop that has the power led, the reset and power buttons all built into it with really long cables so I just plug the ends in and can use that. But usually the screwdriver is closer. :captnkill:
Believe me, one little tiny button is a lot easier to work with than a face plate. :)

Its really not that much work at all. It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes once you have the button.

DeusGear
03-07-08, 02:05 PM
I recognized those speakers, is that the 2.1 setup? I have same one sitting on my desk in front of me.
Actually it's a 5.1 setup. I just didn't have room for the speakers with the rig out like that.

bob saget
02-08-11, 04:12 AM
^reported.

john19055
02-10-11, 03:43 AM
Most componets are pretty tough my house burnt down and all the face plates on my DVD and case were melded my roof was gone ,some of the plstice holders on my memory were a little distoted,but I put them in another case and it booted up just fine even tho all my parts were black.

bob saget
05-26-11, 10:35 PM
reported.

Bearclaw
05-27-11, 08:18 AM
:lol: You guys remember Infinity666? His case was pretty ghetto. He showed us a pic one time and I swear - He lived in Abbotadad or something.