PDA

View Full Version : Sidebar corrupt after 9600 GT install

andrews240
03-06-08, 12:14 PM
Hello all. After upgrading to the evga 9600 GT Superclocked edition from my XFX 6600 GT, my Vista sidebar gadgets are now over sized with overlapping text and strange color misalignment. Has anyone else experienced this or have any suggestions on a solution? Google didn't help. TIA

j0j081
03-06-08, 07:31 PM
what happens if you exit the sidebar completely and restart it? Is anything else messed up or just that? what drivers are you using to would be helpful.

amk21
03-06-08, 07:34 PM
Yep, a little more information would be helpful, but it sounds like you need to wipe out all of you old drivers and install some fresh whql's.

andrews240
03-06-08, 10:26 PM
what happens if you exit the sidebar completely and restart it? Is anything else messed up or just that? what drivers are you using to would be helpful.

Same outcome. Including rebooting the system. I haven't noticed anything else wrong yet.

Yep, a little more information would be helpful, but it sounds like you need to wipe out all of you old drivers and install some fresh whql's

Sorry about the lack of details, I was rushing to get to work. I installed the drivers from the CD initially (171.16) but realized that the drivers on the nVidia's site were more up to date (174.16) so I installed those. Unfortunately I didn't notice if the sidebar issue was present with the 171.16 driver. Do I have to manually uninstall nvidia drivers in Vista and/or use Driver Cleaner? I thought that I read that the nV installer does a good job off uninstalling the old ones automatically. My other specs are an Opty 180 on a 939 board, 2GB OCZ Platinum DDR400 and as previously stated I upgraded from a nV XFX 6600 GT

amk21
03-06-08, 11:05 PM
installing new drivers will uninstall the old ones, but there will still be some reminants of the old ones that may sometimes cause an issue, if I remember. Is this a fresh install of windows, I always reinstall windows after an upgrade. Something as simple as that could e causing your issues, and its one of the easies ways to fix a problem without t]doing painstaking troubleshooting.

andrews240
03-06-08, 11:19 PM
installing new drivers will uninstall the old ones, but there will still be some reminants of the old ones that may sometimes cause an issue, if I remember. Is this a fresh install of windows, I always reinstall windows after an upgrade. Something as simple as that could e causing your issues, and its one of the easies ways to fix a problem without t]doing painstaking troubleshooting.

It isn't a fresh install. I have never done a clean install of Windows just to update graphics drivers. That seams a bit excessive if you ask me.

EciDemon
03-07-08, 04:19 AM
You've not played around with Screen DPI have you ?
Default is 96, and "large" is 120dpi, alot of things and apps are just optimised for 96 so odd size related things may happen when you go with 120dpi.

Could be that files have become corupted too. Being a windows component, I think you should be able to remove it, and reinstall it from the Add or Remove Windows Components.

j0j081
03-07-08, 06:17 AM
well I just got my 9600GT (same one as yours) up and running with the newest drivers on Nvidias site and everything is fine so far. Very strange problem.

andrews240
03-07-08, 08:07 AM
You've not played around with Screen DPI have you ?
Default is 96, and "large" is 120dpi, a lot of things and apps are just optimized for 96 so odd size related things may happen when you go with 120dpi.

Could be that files have become corrupted too. Being a windows component, I think you should be able to remove it, and reinstall it from the Add or Remove Windows Components.

And the winner is...........DPI set to Large (nana2) . You hit the nail right on the head with that. After uninstalling nVidia drivers through the control panel, which my computer did NOT like for some reason and I had to blindly reboot (good thing I remember the key combo when the screen is blank but the system's still running (WinKey-3 right-2 up-enter). Reinstalled the drivers from the CD just to confirm the problem was still there, it was. Upgraded to the newest drivers, still there. Then I remembered that I never went back to the standard DPI. DPI was one of my first considerations but it was the one of the only troubleshooting step that required a reboot along with driver re-install. So I forgot all about it. Even though I don't NEED to have higher DPI, it sucks that something like this can cause a problem with the new drivers and/or card (I didn't have this issue with my 6600 GT with the 169.25 drivers). Where can I go to see if this is a known bug? If it isn't known I can report it. Thanks for everyone's help. :afro: