View Full Version : Valve Explains Why PC Gaming's Gaining Steam

Pages : [1] 2

poullos
03-06-08, 02:01 PM
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17744

Go Valve! :)

Madpistol
03-06-08, 02:16 PM
If PC gaming is dying, then Steam is the hope for all PC gamers.

I'm glad Steam is so successful. :)

JigenD
03-06-08, 02:20 PM
They're really pushing for PC.

They have good reason to too. Steam brings in money from a lot of different PC developers. A strong PC gaming market means they are really powerful.

Section-9
03-06-08, 02:24 PM
If PC gaming is dying, then Steam is the hope for all PC gamers.

+1 (nana2) (nana2) (nana2)

ralinn
03-06-08, 02:34 PM
Didn't expect Steam to do as well as it has. I'm glad its done so well. :)

JigenD
03-06-08, 02:44 PM
Didn't expect Steam to do as well as it has. I'm glad its done so well. :)

I didn't expect it to either, but that's because it did kind of suck at first, but they've made it way more reliable, and faster, and of course got a lot of developers to publish on it.

poullos
03-06-08, 02:53 PM
Valve takes its time to materialize their thoughts. And thank God these are good at most. Things are starting to move faster now. Look at the number of employees they have now(150).

I don't know if there is anything I can't trust in the hands of these guys now. TF 2 looked like a bold move but look how successful it turn to be. Battlefield heroes is not a TF 2 ripoff but an evidence of how right TF 2 art direction was.

I don't care about CS 2, how long it will take to come nor how it will look or play. I know it will be good...and all these on my pc. :)

XP_GUN
03-06-08, 03:06 PM
I love the fact that everyone was bashing it when it was invented and now everyone is loving it :rolleyes:

I on the other hand loved it from the get go. It made updating games easy :D

ClosetFanBoy
03-06-08, 03:24 PM
Since it's working out, more big name dev's should do their own versions of digi-distro.

CaptNKILL
03-06-08, 03:49 PM
I love the fact that everyone was bashing it when it was invented and now everyone is loving it :rolleyes:

It used to be an unstable, slow POS. Its great now though. :p

GeniusPr0
03-06-08, 05:19 PM
If PC gaming is dying, then Blizzard is the hope for all PC gamers.

I'm glad Steam is also so successful. :)

fixed :captnkill:

3DBrad
03-06-08, 06:22 PM
I'll probably buy an extra Valve game just for this.

I alread own like 4 copies of HL2. :p

ahheadlock
03-06-08, 07:36 PM
Valve are winners.

Steam is great, especially for those of us in countries where things cost more than they should. I think i saved like $40 buying bioshock over steam, same goes for orange box.

Noriega
03-06-08, 08:07 PM
Some dev's prefer to make games and something invent and getting profit from that than bitc*ing how hard it is to make bilions on doing shi*

LordJuanlo
03-07-08, 05:17 AM
Steam is going better and better. Great latest games, good oldies, superb weekend offers. I hope more develpers start to make use of SteamWorks and we see its features in more games

nutcrackr
03-07-08, 06:09 AM
i have loads of games on steam, been so long since I had probs

actually I tell a lie, thief ds wouldn't work on vista unless I changed compat to windows xp sp2. Not really a steam prob though.

epic, EA and anybody else should use steam and treat it just like another platform, EA especially shouldn't see it as competition for their crap download system.

rudedog
03-07-08, 07:05 AM
Wait, so if you have an easy and reliable way to release a game that is complete, it's good, you keep supporting said game - it will sell? who would have thunk it?

Someone please let Epic and Iron Lore in on this industry secret.

brady
03-07-08, 08:33 AM
If more and more devs go the steam route (or something like it) I wager that pc game piracy could almost be wiped out.

CaptNKILL
03-07-08, 09:21 AM
If more and more devs go the steam route (or something like it) I wager that pc game piracy could almost be wiped out.
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say it would decrease significantly.

stncttr908
03-07-08, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't go that far, but I'd say it would decrease significantly.
Exactly. Steam games get cracked all the time, but the risks of hosing your Steam account, etc. would probably deter a few people.

Badboy_12345
03-07-08, 10:03 AM
I have never seen a game that is cheaper on steam than it is in stores.
Until that happens I will never buy a singel game on steam.

Why pay more and get less? :thumbdwn:

CaptNKILL
03-07-08, 10:39 AM
I have never seen a game that is cheaper on steam than it is in stores.
Until that happens I will never buy a singel game on steam.

Why pay more and get less? :thumbdwn:
I like having boxes for my games, but you don't always get less with steam.

I preordered the Orange box on steam and I got to play TF2 a couple weeks early. Plus I had the game the minute it was unlocked, rather than having to hope that wal-mart put the games on the shelf on the right day.

I would be happier if they made them a little cheaper to compensate for the lack of any publishing costs, but the package deals and sales they have tend to be pretty good so I don't complain too much. Also, there aren't any tax or shipping costs (at least for me).

FastRedPonyCar
03-07-08, 10:50 AM
I've loved steam since day 1. I can't stand having to drive and fight heavy traffic to get to a store to buy a game while I can let it DL while I stay at home and do more important things around the house or sleep.. or play another game.. etc..

And the half life games are the only games I've actually legitimately paid for aside from the morrowind/oblivion series. the rest I borrow from friends, beat them and then return the game.

mullet
03-07-08, 12:09 PM
Valve = the best.

Quick420
03-07-08, 12:15 PM

What he said ^^^^^:cool: I totally agree on both points:D