PDA

View Full Version : STALKER + Vista = No saved games or settings :(

FlakMagnet
03-07-08, 02:37 AM
Hi All. I purchased STALKER on Steam last night and had no problems running it in Vista.

However, when I saved my progress, I noticed there was no way of loading it again. On further inspection (looking in the console), the game is attempting to save and load everything from C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\... etc.

This folder does not exist in Vista, and I could not create it either - Explorer kept saying it was going to move everything from Document and Setting into the Users folder.

So the game runs great, but I can't save any of my progress, and it also loses my settings too (trying to save them to the same place).

Does anyone know how to get it working on Vista?

(Not sure what version of the game I have - don't know how to find out. Got it from Steam last night, so must be latest?).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Unstable_Hero
03-07-08, 02:59 AM
10. Miscellaneous
- the flashlight does not work on minimal settings - in the console type r1_dlights on
- the crosshair is invisible - turn off antialiasing
- configuration files, saves, and logs are by default stored at Documents and Settings/All Users/Documents/STALKER_SHOC/. You can move them, but first you have to change the line $app_data_root@ in the file fsgame.ltx to the new location.

found this little tid bit at the official forums
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=4694&sec_id=12

NarcissistZero
03-07-08, 03:44 AM
I run it on Vista and left all file locations at default and it works fine... so... not sure what problem you're having.

FlakMagnet
03-07-08, 06:13 AM
I suspect you installed from the DVD? I think this is only an issue for people downloaded from Steam (and possibly from other digital download sites).

@Unstable_Hero : That's excellent! Thank you very much - I'll try that when I get home from work :D

nekrosoft13
03-07-08, 06:19 AM
no, this really is not an issue for steam downloads, there is something wrong with your system

C:\Documents and Settings folder has been renamed to C:\Users in vista.
but C:\Documents and Settings is still there as hardlink to C:\Users.

I suspect what you did was mess around with C:\Documents and Settings permissions or owner settings basically breaking the hardlink.

Expect more problems in future ;)

fatsorat
10-16-08, 05:48 PM
Nope, I have this exact same problem; I have a brand new top spec notebook only 2 days old and I've just dl Stalker SoC from Steam. The F*****ng thing will not save or keep my specs at all. I haven't touched its program fies/ I even let the standard specs stay and tried that. No. Save in game and then check save file. Nope. THis game is F***ED. I wish I'd pirated it instead. :thumbdwn:

If you found a solution to this problem then I'd be really grateful, otherwise you're not the only one with this problem.

AngelGraves13
10-16-08, 06:34 PM
Nope, I have this exact same problem; I have a brand new top spec notebook only 2 days old and I've just dl Stalker SoC from Steam. The F*****ng thing will not save or keep my specs at all. I haven't touched its program fies/ I even let the standard specs stay and tried that. No. Save in game and then check save file. Nope. THis game is F***ED. I wish I'd pirated it instead. :thumbdwn:

If you found a solution to this problem then I'd be really grateful, otherwise you're not the only one with this problem.

I had this problem with Steam and Vista when I had UAC on back in the day. Haven't used UAC since. UAC doesn't allow Steam to run as Administrator, which doesn't allow STALKER to write to the Users folder.

nekrosoft13
10-16-08, 08:01 PM

look at my above reply. these types of problems happen when people mess arround with documents and settings hardlink that points to users folder.

i did the same when innitially installed vista. once you break something in that hard link it is almost impossible to fix.

other then reinstall

Kaguya
10-16-08, 08:48 PM
Actually, I have exactly the same problem with STALKER and Vista 64 - and it has prevented me from playing the game at all (I deleted it months ago because of this). There are a few other posts about this problem on the 'net, but no solutions (some posts say that it was fixed in a patch, but it wasn't).

nekrosoft13: For the record, my junction is operating properly so that is not the problem:

02/11/2006 09:42 AM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users]

fatsorat
10-17-08, 05:03 PM
nekrosoft- I get what your saying but its not applicable in my case. There's been no jiggery pokery with the documents and settings on this system.

Kaguya - Well it nice to know I'm not alone, I'm afraid I might have to bork it too which is a shame cos it seems like an interesting game.

Thanks for prompt replies though!