PDA

View Full Version : Gutted! damn crappy BFG GT overheating again :(

Pages : [1] 2

wysiwyg
03-07-08, 06:36 AM
a few months ago i had the Gt replaced due to lockups and artifacting. the store replaced it. now this replacement's been fine for the last few months but now all of a sudden its been locking up and artifacting again.

sucha load of hassle :headexplode:

EciDemon
03-07-08, 06:40 AM
What are the temps on the card, idle and load ?
and if possible, ambient temp too

Im still new at my gt card, so Im not sure where the comfort zone ends.

wysiwyg
03-07-08, 06:48 AM
well all i can see are core temps

it again a mem issue not being able to run at OC2 settings and there is no way to see the temp of that

core is 60c

im using a thermalright cooler and mem heatsinks too

ATOJAR
03-07-08, 07:56 AM
I remember when i first got my GT, i think it was idleing at 60c & going over 90c load! ... that was way to warm for me when my older GTS 640MB was running at 46c idle with a thermalright HR-03-PLUS! .... i whipped that stock cooler off the next day when my zalman (VF900-CU) cooler arrived! i put the (VF900-CU) on with some AS5 thermal compound and now my card idles at 48c! load is around 65c.

That just dont seem right when you have a thermalright on there, those things are darn good cooler! ... you sure its seated right?

wysiwyg
03-07-08, 09:17 AM
as said

the core is fine

is the memory that is the problem. they just have heatsinks. the thermalright is just for the core

bacon12
03-07-08, 09:39 AM
When mine would go over 72+ degrees mine would artifact/lockup. I put a VF-900 on mine as well, and installed a 120 side fan blowing directly on it.

No more problems and temps mid 40s

wysiwyg
03-07-08, 10:00 AM
no space for another fan in my case :(

XDanger
03-07-08, 07:00 PM
(please excuse stating the obvious but) Fans come in many different sizes

core 60c idle or load?

Would you consider epoxy on the sinks?

grey_1
03-07-08, 07:20 PM
Case swap?

ChuckyQ
03-07-08, 07:50 PM
Your'e not alone.
I just bought a XFX 8800GT 512mb xXx with the Zalman VF830 and I'm hitting 95degC, texture corruption and full system lockup in games.
I have only played STALKER and Colin Mcrae DiRT so far are both locking up at 95degC.

CPU and ram all works fine.
My motherboard chipset is nf4.

I just installed a 120mm case fan right next to the card and it still hits 95degC.
My system already has a 120mm intake and exhaust.
CPU is using a Tuniq Tower 120.
Removed two expansion slots at the back of the PC so the card blows the hot air out of the PC.

So I think I have adequate cooling.

There must be something wrong with the installation of the Zalman cooler.

XDanger
03-07-08, 07:59 PM
Why would you keep using it ,Cant you tell from the idle temp something is badly wrong?

ChuckyQ
03-07-08, 08:10 PM
This pisses me off.
I you though your idle temp was high.
I just checked mine and the idle is at 64deg.:(

Thinking about it, my X1950pro used to only get to 86degC which had the reference cooler.

Yet my VF830 cooled 8800GT is hitting 95degC and locking up.:thumbdwn:

wysiwyg
03-08-08, 08:47 AM
well the core on mine is absolutely fine

its the crappy memory at fault

XDanger
03-08-08, 09:04 AM
whats holding them on ,double sided tape or white pads?

Have you experienced any "fall off" with the ram sinks

Can you put 2 fans on the thing side by side to get more airflow on the sinks?

Maybe the fans that goes on the accelero s1/s2 http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=139

wysiwyg
03-08-08, 10:05 AM
the heatsink is on the other side with a fan on top (pointed towards the cpu) and no room for a fan on both sides of heatsink

the heatsinks are on secure and held on with some asus heatsink pads

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/9712/dsc00063xq5.jpg

-
http://img357.imageshack.us/img357/1699/dsc00066zw2.jpg

bacon12
03-08-08, 05:06 PM
You could cut the clear panel and add in a fan. I know thats not the solution you were looking for and honestly with that cooler you should not be having this problem.

EciDemon
03-10-08, 06:03 AM
Humm dunno, With just the ram sinks and no fan blowing any air to them, I would think Wysiwyg is right about his ram acting up.

On the reference design, Ram is cooled with the fan.

Edit:
Just for reference, the hottest Ive seen my GT go up to during load is 63c (using Rivatuners overlay display during gaming)
Idle is around 47-50c with dynamic fan profile (33-40% fan speed at this point)
this is runnig a bit of OC, 725/1850/1050 iirc

ChuckyQ
03-10-08, 06:49 AM
Well.
First of all, it's total BS anyone would suggest they stick a stupid amount of fans around the card or add any aftermarket cooling just ot get the card working properly at stock.

After a bit of searching I found the problem with my XFX 8800GT 512mb xXx with VF830.
It's stuck on 29% fan duty cycle and can't seem to change it in Riva Tuner.

Since I had a guts full of this BS about adding a riddicuilous amount of fans to keep something with a superior cooler to my X1950pro from overheating,
I connected the VF830 to a system fan connection on my motherboard and now the fan is working the way it should and isn't anywhere near as loud as my X1950pro at 80% fan speed.

Haven't had a crash since but still I had to go to these lengths just ot get my card running without texture corruption/lock ups which is not acceptable.

XFX have botched it up in the BIOS with the auto temp I believe.

Not my fault, not my case coolings fault.

mustrum
03-10-08, 07:04 AM
That`s a nasty card you gott here indeed cooky.
Many people don`t have any air ventilation in their cases though wich is why people aks about that at first. I know a guy thta bought a 8800 GT and stuffed it inside his pc without a single case fan! You don`t have to be a genius to know that that wont go well.
In your case XFX ****ed up obviously. I am quite sure that most people with overheating cards have perfectly fine cards though.

EciDemon
03-10-08, 07:48 AM
Well.
First of all, it's total BS anyone would suggest they stick a stupid amount of fans around the card or add any aftermarket cooling just ot get the card working properly at stock.

After a bit of searching I found the problem with my XFX 8800GT 512mb xXx with VF830.
It's stuck on 29% fan duty cycle and can't seem to change it in Riva Tuner.

Since I had a guts full of this BS about adding a riddicuilous amount of fans to keep something with a superior cooler to my X1950pro from overheating,
I connected the VF830 to a system fan connection on my motherboard and now the fan is working the way it should and isn't anywhere near as loud as my X1950pro at 80% fan speed.

Haven't had a crash since but still I had to go to these lengths just ot get my card running without texture corruption/lock ups which is not acceptable.

XFX have botched it up in the BIOS with the auto temp I believe.

Not my fault, not my case coolings fault.

It's no bs, you must have a good airflow thro you pc. True that excessive cooling as before might not be needed anymore, as shrunk design in cpu/gpu becomes better. Many choose to do it anyway, maybe not to "super" cool your pc, but to get better/same cooling with less noise. That's what I do.
ATX standard is designed with case cooling in mind, you should have an intake, and an exaust, exaust being the PSU, or an extra fan in the back.

With aircooling you can never go below that of your ambient temperature (that the heat sinks are exposed to), so what do you think happens when you trap hot air in your PC ?

Anyways, with that cooler, a bios update was needed, but still. We didn't know that. What we do know is Artifacts=heat issue. And if you'r having heat issues ... you check your cooling.
I bet, that in a puter with a good airflow, that card without updated bios would prolly work just fine, as cooling is not just one fan on the gfx card, it's the whole system.

Viventis
03-10-08, 08:02 AM
For some reason, many of the 8800 GT cards have their fans stuck at 29%. Use Riva Tuner, making sure you use the "low level" fan control. 40% works fine, 60% better. I set up launcher profiles for one click changes. At 80%, my card went from mid 90's to low 60's at load.

ChuckyQ
03-10-08, 08:33 AM
Many people don`t have any air ventilation in their cases though wich is why people aks about that at first.

Sorry about the ranting.:p
It's just people who are told and seen the pics of my rig who still insist that my case does not have suffcient cooling.
I just been told in a few forums to add more fans to a case which has a 120 intake, Tunq Tower with a 120mm and a 120mm exhaust.
I even took off the side panel and the card still locked up so I was told to add more fans.
Knowing it wasn't going to work and thinking to myself this is really getting over the top I still added two 120mm fans directly blowing air towards the GPU with the side panel off and it still locks up.
So what answer do I get?

Your case isn't cool enough add more fans:captnkill:

In your case XFX ****ed up obviously. I am quite sure that most people with overheating cards have perfectly fine cards though.

Yeah it was an unexpected **** up as I held XFX quality in high regard.

An overheating card is not a fine card.
An overheating card causes artifacts and lockups or a card with a very short lifespan which eventually artifacts and locks up.:thumbdwn:

But yeah found a work around for now.
I'm starting to wish I didn't have to RMA this card as I'm 95% sure the next one is going to have the same shameful issue.

XDanger
03-11-08, 03:29 PM
If its a 29% fan issue then wysiwyg has no excuses ,Its not like thats brand new info.
and its not xfx fault that the GT's have the stupid bios , oh wait maybe.. (evga bfg leadtek offer bios updates http://www.bfgtech.com//CMDocs/BFGTech/88512GTOCE%20BIOS%20Update%201F.00.18.zip

No 2d/3d detection and stupid low 29% fan ,Thats just how the GT is

NVidia messed up.

Consider yourselves lucky you dont have a POV POS, No new bios for me :(

wysiwyg
03-11-08, 05:36 PM
mine is the OC2 not OC

but all the bios does is increase the stock cooler fan speed.

but also as said im using a thermalright cooler and heatsinks no stock cooler

the card was running fine up until last week

XDanger
03-12-08, 07:13 PM
are the ram sinks hot to touch?