PDA

View Full Version : Download free Windows XP SP2 & Vista from Microsoft

AthlonXP1800
03-07-08, 02:00 PM
Via the Internet Explorer Application Compatibility VPC Image. That's right! Microsoft is offering access to free downloads of Windows Vista and Windows XP SP2.

http://keznews.com/4159_Download_Free_Windows_Vista_and_Windows_XP_SP 2_Straight_from_Microsoft

"A VPC hard disk image containing a pre-activated Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista, and IE6, IE7 or IE8. This VPC image will expire on July 3, 2008. You will need a minimum of 1.5 Gig hard drive space free to expand the VHD file. Once you have completed the download, double-click file to expand the VHD file. Start Virtual PC and create a new VPC, and point to the files you just expanded,"

It may be possible to create hard disk image with Acronis True Image in VPC and then restore the image on a blank hard drive that it wont be expired.

hokeyplyr48
03-07-08, 04:14 PM
but the activation only lasts till july 3rd. doesn't sound worth the trouble of downloading and converting for only 3-4 months use.

Dragunov
03-09-08, 11:29 AM
It's just some kind of demo to see how it runs or something, not a retail copy of Vista or XP

XDanger
03-15-08, 07:13 AM
can this be used in a pc im selling as proof of it being xp good.

Listed on ebay as "operating system not included"

I see it requires you to expand an image from an existing os and run it virtually (am I getting that right?).

S.SubZero
03-15-08, 07:38 AM
It's a virtual hard disk image (VHD). This means you need an existing OS installed, and a virtualization software that can read their VHD and use it. They of course recommend Virtual PC, which I would recommend as well.

No, you can't use it to prove the function of a PC. Why don't you just throw Linux on it?

XDanger
03-16-08, 08:26 AM
No, you can't use it to prove the function of a PC. Why don't you just throw Linux on it?

Linux wont prove that it runs xp, but still linux will have to do.