PDA

View Full Version : Mixed card in SLI

jcniest5
03-07-08, 10:25 PM
Okay, I will get my Step Up card (regular 9600GT) coming from EVGA by the end of next week. Meanwhile, I was at MicroCenter and had a little money to spare, so I bought the EVGA 9600GT Super Clock because they don't have the regular version. Here is my questions: When my regular 9600GT arrives from EVGA, will I be able to SLI these two cards considered they are the same GPU but different clock speed? Will they work together in SLI mode? As always, thanks in advance for any infos.

Zapablast05
03-07-08, 10:40 PM
Yes. They will work and run together, but the SLi setup will run at the speed of the slowest card.

bob saget
03-07-08, 10:41 PM
yes, but i believe they will be downclocked to lowest speed.

EDIT: damn zapafail beat me to it

Zapablast05
03-07-08, 11:02 PM
yes, but i believe they will be downclocked to lowest speed.

EDIT: damn zapafail beat me to it

I pass, you fail, Fail saget.

jcniest5
03-07-08, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the infos! Much, much appreciate it.

Dam, I need an SLI board for my Intel Quad or E8400. My AMD's X2 4400+ is way too slow to utilize this SLI setup. I'm waiting for Nvidia 790i to show up (which I read is very soon now, within a few weeks).

jcrox
03-08-08, 12:13 AM
Those guys are both wrong. Which ever card you put in the primary slot, the other card will automatically clock to that cards speeds, if the card in the primary slot has higher clocks than the card in the secondary SLI slot, the secondary card will be automatically over clocked

Edit: double play Zapafail/SagetFail back to back ...talk about epic

jcniest5
03-08-08, 12:24 AM
Those guys are both wrong. Which ever card you put in the primary slot, the other card will automatically clock to that cards speeds, if the card in the primary slot has higher clocks than the card in the secondary SLI slot, the secondary card will be automatically over clocked

Edit: double play Zapafail/SagetFail back to back ...talk about epic

Good to know that. I will try the OCed one in the primary slot and see how the other one can cope with it. If stability becomes an issue, then I will reverse their role and go from there.

jcniest5
03-18-08, 12:08 AM
Got the Step Up card today (Monday) and was SLIing the two 9600GTs, but got a really bad score on my AMD X2 4400+ system. Only scored like 85xx. I configured it to run in SLI mode using NVidia software. Some how it doesn't run much faster than a single card. Must be something I'm not doing correctly. I didn't bench the single card, so now I am going to do that so I atleast know the baseline performance for a single card.

On to the speed mix, no matter which card is in the primary slot, both will run at the higher speed of the two, contrary to popular belief that both will run at the slower speed of the two. I just turn PC on and upon looking at the screen under NVidia Control Panel, both were running at 675Mhz (and not 650Mhz). The normal 9600GT is running at 650 Mhz while the SC one runs at 675 Mhz. The normal 9600GT clocked itself right away to 675 Mhz to match the SC one.

Just finished a single card bench on my normal 9600GT and it scored 8143 under 3DMark06. That really tells me I didn't do something correctly with the SLI setup. Will have to investigate further.

Zapablast05
03-18-08, 12:17 AM
Got the Step Up card today (Monday) and was SLIing the two 9600GTs, but got a really bad score on my AMD X2 4400+ system. Only scored like 85xx. I configured it to run in SLI mode using NVidia software. Some how it runs slower than a single card. Must be something I'm not doing correctly. I didn't bench the single card, so now I am going to do that so I atleast know the baseline performance for a single card.

On to the speed mix, no matter which card is in the primary slot, both will run at the higher speed of the two, contrary to popular belief that both will run at the slower speed of the two. I just turn PC on and upon looking at the screen under NVidia Control Panel, both were running at 675Mhz (and not 650Mhz). The normal 9600GT is running at 650 Mhz while the SC one runs at 675 Mhz. The normal 9600GT clocked itself right away to 675 Mhz to match the SC one.

Just finished a single card bench on my normal 9600GT and it scored 8143 under 3DMark06. That really tells me I didn't do something correctly with the SLI setup. Will have to investigate further.

In the NV control panel, make sure you enable SLI and you enable SLI in the 3DMark profile. For some reason, Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2 is faster than Nvidia Recommended SLI.

EciDemon
03-18-08, 02:35 AM
I would think your cpu is holding you back.

To see some difference, crankup the resolution and add maximum AA/AF, and test both single vs sli and you should see a nice difference.

jcniest5
03-18-08, 10:54 PM
In the NV control panel, make sure you enable SLI and you enable SLI in the 3DMark profile. For some reason, Force Alternate Frame Rendering 2 is faster than Nvidia Recommended SLI.

That's what I missed. Anyway, I returned the card I bought locally here. Gonna save a little here and there to get myself an NVidia 790i motherboard when it launches. I think I might wait until EVGA comes out with its own (non-NVidia reference) board to jump on it. Heard/read that Epox's engineer team is working for EVGA now and they gonna design their own board not based on NVidia's reference version. This, they say, will give it a boost in OCability (better than NVidia's own design). Hope this is all true.