PDA

View Full Version : If you want Unreal Tournament 3 to look like all the preview videos (textures, etc.)

Pages : [1] 2 3

3DBrad
03-08-08, 02:10 AM
When you're making a map in UT3, you "publish" it which also "cooks" the map.

Well, at this time, for example, a 2048x2048 texture that is 21mb is turned into a 2.4mb file.

However, if you just leave it in the editor, and don't cook it (and hopefully can play it in the game uncooked), the textures look FANTASTIC.

Here's a quick texture/material I made (of the many, many, many).

It has just a diffuse, normal map, and also displacement mapping/offset mapping (which looks good if you don't go wild with it, and if the textures aren't "cooked").

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p234/Spoudazo/textures_uncooked.png

So, hopefully we can work this out either with Epic or the mod community where mappers/modders can release their maps uncooked.

The textures in UT3 are "high-res" but they're so compressed it ruins them. To put it another way, it'd be like watching a hi-def movie at 700kb/second video, where as you'd expect around 14mb/second or even 22mb/second or more for the high-def movie.

So this is the problem, they aren't "low-res," they're just really, really compressed.

SeriTonin
03-08-08, 01:51 PM
This was done so it would remain playable on ps3. Let epic do the work, they released the half-baked product, let them fix it. The modding community has been saving their ass since 99. Let's see what epic can actually do, other than rely on die-hards to make their game better.

ViN86
03-08-08, 01:53 PM
what kind of effect does this have on RAM usage (card and system) and whatnot?

3DBrad
03-08-08, 02:25 PM
I'm not sure, but I'd love to be able to test it with the vram option in Rivatuner.

m3dude
03-08-08, 03:20 PM
that pic is nothing like the press shots still. also epic will never fix this because it would break the stupid compatibility with ps3

3DBrad
03-08-08, 03:42 PM
that pic is nothing like the press shots still. also epic will never fix this because it would break the stupid compatibility with ps3

It's a brick wall, what do you expect?

The point was texture clarity, not scene complexity.

nrdstrm
03-08-08, 03:49 PM

And how would it break PS3 compatibility? The graphics (textures and such) are kept client side right? Or am I mistaken?

3DBrad
03-08-08, 03:53 PM
And how would it break PS3 compatibility? The graphics (textures and such) are kept client side right? Or am I mistaken?

The PS3 is very limited in memory.

Xbox360 has a good bit more. ;)

nrdstrm
03-08-08, 05:53 PM
The PS3 is very limited in memory.

Xbox360 has a good bit more. ;)

That has nothing to do with my comment! I was saying, why would adding higer rez textures to the PC version make it NOT compatible with the PS3 version!?! Maybe I'm just not understanding this thread...lol

3DBrad
03-08-08, 06:52 PM
That has nothing to do with my comment! I was saying, why would adding higer rez textures to the PC version make it NOT compatible with the PS3 version!?! Maybe I'm just not understanding this thread...lol

Perhaps Epic was afraid no one would map for the PS3, if they knew they could keep hi-res textures on the PC.

Destroy
03-08-08, 06:57 PM
Maybe cause U3 engine can't do hi res textures or put another way, if it does do hi res textures, it will run worse than Crysis.

m3dude
03-08-08, 07:46 PM
no it can run high res textures just fine, but the game was orig planned to feature cross platform play, so the pc version had to be scaled down to remain compatible

JigenD
03-08-08, 07:55 PM
Bloating the textures up 10x is even gonna take a huge toll on the best PC.

Imagine this. The textures might be ~160MB on a PS3 (256 video, 256 main RAM, but obviously some of that video RAM must be used for other things), bloating that up to 1.6GB on a PC is going to even kill the best GPUs out today.

3DBrad
03-08-08, 08:10 PM
It isn't bloating them up.

JigenD
03-08-08, 08:11 PM
It isn't bloating them up.

It's just not compressing them, but it's still going to take that much more space in memory.

Try running a full Epic designed map without cooking, I think you can still open them.

3DBrad
03-08-08, 08:19 PM
It's just not compressing them, but it's still going to take that much more space in memory.

Try running a full Epic designed map without cooking, I think you can still open them.

All maps are already cooked; you can't "uncook" them. :)

JigenD
03-08-08, 08:30 PM
All maps are already cooked; you can't "uncook" them. :)

I think when you open them, since you can recook them if you change something, that it would reference the texture files and not the cooked map, but I might be wrong.

3DBrad
03-08-08, 08:37 PM
I think when you open them, since you can recook them if you change something, that it would reference the texture files and not the cooked map, but I might be wrong.

You have to reimport the original textures to do this, something we dont' have, obviously. ;)

LordJuanlo
03-09-08, 04:44 AM
Epic should release the original textures, UT2003 came with two discs, one for normal textures and other with high res, S3TC textures. They could release the originals. People could do a Cinematic Mod for UT3

m3dude
03-09-08, 05:49 AM
i believe that was ut99, not ut2003

Badboy_12345
03-09-08, 05:50 AM
Bloating the textures up 10x is even gonna take a huge toll on the best PC.

Imagine this. The textures might be ~160MB on a PS3 (256 video, 256 main RAM, but obviously some of that video RAM must be used for other things), bloating that up to 1.6GB on a PC is going to even kill the best GPUs out today.

they can still compress the textures but not so much. You know they only did it because of the ps3? has nothing to do with the pc not being able to handle it.

K007
03-09-08, 06:21 AM
This game was a flop from the start because it was first made for console in mind and not the PC...and hence..the flop..

JigenD
03-09-08, 11:14 AM
This game was a flop from the start because it was first made for console in mind and not the PC...and hence..the flop..

That's not why it was a flop at all, even on PC. Lots of console to PC ports sell really well.

they can still compress the textures but not so much. You know they only did it because of the ps3? has nothing to do with the pc not being able to handle it.

They didn't do it only for PS3. If you always design games for the highest end PCs you're going to kill your own sales. Personally I don't know how much they really did compress the textures on either platform. I'd think the PC already probably has texture settings that take advantage of the additional video memory and larger memory total that can be utilized. The textures stream in and out as well.

Either way, at the most you're going to be able to use about 2 times as much texture fidelity on a PC, and that's not even going to double your texture resolution because the game uses normal mapping. There's a lot of texture compression methods that don't significantly reduce quality of the textures.

I'd like to see proof that the uncooked uncompressed textures from the OP are really better than a cooked texture. Pic by pic comparison would be best.

sytaylor
03-09-08, 11:23 AM

There has to be a middle ground, or option somewhere, where it doesn't "cool" to the point of shrivelling the map up to a tiny fraction of what it was.

JigenD
03-09-08, 11:26 AM
There has to be a middle ground, or option somewhere, where it doesn't "cool" to the point of shrivelling the map up to a tiny fraction of what it was.

Well basically I don't think they did that on PC. I don't like the texture work, and I don't think the engine lends really well to textures either. However I don't think they're not taking advantage of the additional memory available on PC.

Like I said, the OP should do a comparison of his texture, and then his texture fully loaded on max settings with the map cooked.